Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Anyone use a baby seat in their z28 ?

This is a discussion on Anyone use a baby seat in their z28 ? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Never had to use a rear facing seat when hauling my grandson around & there was plenty of room for ...

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Never had to use a rear facing seat when hauling my grandson around & there was plenty of room for a passenger

Maybe it depends on the type seat you use??

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Anyone have any model #s or brands that will fit? I'm talking about rear facing seats of course seems when baby gets a bit older sounds like forward facing seats will be no problem.
    Well I'm using a Graco SnugRide Something and the base and seat combo is pretty long (and tall) which is causing my problem. I'd say if you find one that is 1 or 2 inches smaller and possiblly even 1 or 2 inchs shorter, the passenger seat becomes more usable.
    I also like the idea of removing the rear seat cushion. That'll get the baby seat down farther which would allow a little more front seat decline.
    Anyways you can make it work. I've had my wife sit in the back seat before. She's 5'4"

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Just thought of one more thing. If you get a smaller car seat, the baby will grow out of it sooner and you'll end up buying another one.

94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I've been hauling my nine month old girl around in my 'Bird just fine. You pretty much have to put a rear facing car seat behind the passenger seat. That requires the seat to be moved forward and/or the seat back to be folded forward. and that makes it just about impossible for anyone to ride in that passenger seat so mom will have to ride in the LR seat which is also about impossible.
    So when the 3 of us go somewhere together, we take the Malibu or the Grand Cherokee
    Whoa! I have a Camaro, a Malibu, and a Grand Cherokee. Small world!

I got rid of my car because of my baby. Yes you can do it. It's not safe, it's a pain, and the seat will tear up the seat of your car. When you're a parent it's time to think about your child, not what kind of car YOU want to drive. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but that's my 2 cents.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by taylorr12 View Post
    I got rid of my car because of my baby. Yes you can do it. It's not safe, it's a pain, and the seat will tear up the seat of your car. When you're a parent it's time to think about your child, not what kind of car YOU want to drive. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but that's my 2 cents.
    I hear what you are saying. Personally I feel it's not necessary as long as it IS safe. Why should I get rid of my car when the baby has no clue what car he is in ? Mom has a 4 door and i do have a corvette too ( the root cause of the bitchin) but when I'm going to and from to work everyday By MYSELF i want to be driving a Z

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I hear what you are saying. Personally I feel it's not necessary as long as it IS safe. Why should I get rid of my car when the baby has no clue what car he is in ? Mom has a 4 door and i do have a corvette too ( the root cause of the bitchin) but when I'm going to and from to work everyday By MYSELF i want to be driving a Z
    Yeah that's fine. When you have enough money to have your toy and a 4 door or something more pratical/safe for your baby then there is absolutly nothing wrong with that. Maybe im just a paranoid mother, but I would worry wayyy to much to have my baby in my old car (98 ws6). It's just not about you anymore when you have a child, it's about them. As a parent you do whatever iis necessary to keep your child safe. You know?

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Yeah that's fine. When you have enough money to have your toy and a 4 door or something more pratical/safe for your baby then there is absolutly nothing wrong with that. Maybe im just a paranoid mother, but I would worry wayyy to much to have my baby in my old car (98 ws6). It's just not about you anymore when you have a child, it's about them. As a parent you do whatever iis necessary to keep your child safe. You know?
    Just wondering, why don't you think a ta is not safe?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Yeah, I was wondering that too. I don't feel the least bit unsafe when I drive Too Fast with my wife and my 4 and 6 year old kids in it.

I didn't feel unsafe when they were in the baby seats either. Yeah, these cars are not as safe as a bigger,heavier van/truck/big ugly thing, but they handle and stop better.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

rear facing seats eat up a ton of room no matter what car they're in. Unless you're a midget I don't see anyone sitting comfortably in front of a rear facing seat in an f-body. I've used rears all the way up to boosters in my f-body. They can be made to work and forward facing seats aren't too bad but the rear facing seats is what will get you.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It's not safe, it's a pain, and the seat will tear up the seat of your car.
    I disagree. It is safe. It's only a pain when you want take the baby and one more adult somewhere (which is why we don't do that very often in the 'Bird). My cloth seats are holding up just fine. Plus I'm considering removing the lower cushion for more room.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    rear facing seats eat up a ton of room no matter what car they're in.
    Yeah they do. They barely fit in our Malibu. Can't put the seat all the back in the Grand Cherokee either.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 05-16-2009 at 04:32 AM.

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    I can assure you that if you put a baby in my SS with me driving, it will never fall asleep and it would definetly be crying!
    It might sound like a super charger wine

Velocity Yellow
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Your kid will need one of these:http://www.jegs.com/i/Simpson/856/90000/10002/-1
    I got that seat for my daughter in my camaro.

Anyone know where to get the baby seat hooks that are in the 2000 and newer camaros? Mine does not have them and they would make putting in the seat alot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Just wondering, why don't you think a ta is not safe?
    If you're hit on the side by where the baby was it would be disasterious. Im not saying/meaning they are just totally unsafe. It's just that I wanted something so that I can put my baby in the middle of the back seat, becuase that's what I feel my baby is safer with. I'm not saying your a shitty person/ parent if you put your baby in an f-body. It's just not what I would do.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

If you're hit on the side by where the baby was it would be disasterious. Im not saying/meaning they are just totally unsafe. It's just that I wanted something so that I can put my baby in the middle of the back seat, becuase that's what I feel my baby is safer with. I'm not saying your a shitty person/ parent if you put your baby in an f-body. It's just not what I would do.
    OH YES YOU WERE!!!!! LOL

Anyway, I see your point about putting the kid in the middle spot of the rear seat, that is the safest place for it to be. That's where our kids were when we drove them around in the Jeep.

On a side note, how the hell did I survive in my Momma's lap, in the front seat of the '67 Chevelle wagon back in the day? I remember driving in that car, pulling a small pop up trailer to CA and back in 1968. I was 5 then.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpenguin13 View Post
    my 5 year old has been in a carseat in the back of my TA since he was born, so has my 4 month old. so all that crap about "gotta sell my car for something more practical"....boooooshit. if your not a lazy-ass than TA's and Camaros will do just fine. its not like the kid is 5 times the size of your car or anything. sorry, going on a rant here.
    Exactly right. People have gotten lazy. We have never owned a 4 door and don't plan to. Just don't see the need.
    I simply used a front facing seat and used it in every car from the classic hotrods to both 4th gens.
    Never had an issue with it and would do it again if need be. My wife is 5'6" and sat in the back with him alot. But she rides in the front seat just fine when he is behind it. I even have him ride in the front passenger seat when my wife wasn't riding along. I have the air bags unplugged.
    I always had the baby seat sitting on a pillow, now he just sits on the pillow and the baby seat is no longer

Medium Blue
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Exactly right. People have gotten lazy. We have never owned a 4 door and don't plan to. Just don't see the need.
    I simply used a front facing seat and used it in every car from the classic hotrods to both 4th gens.
    Never had an issue with it and would do it again if need be. My wife is 5'6" and sat in the back with him alot. But she rides in the front seat just fine when he is behind it. I even have him ride in the front passenger seat when my wife wasn't riding along. I have the air bags unplugged.
    I always had the baby seat sitting on a pillow, now he just sits on the pillow and the baby seat is no longer
    I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with transporting children in an f-body. It's just as safe to transport them in as any sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief762x39 View Post
    I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with transporting children in an f-body. It's just as safe to transport them in as any sedan.
    Ya I figure if I can tote them around in a nomad with drum brakes and virtually no safety equipment (seat belts were an option in 1956 ) Then they are plenty safe in a 4th gen

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

What if you have two at a time like me and my wife there goes the middle of the back sreat out the window. I traded my T/A on a g6 for more room, boys still set by the window, 2 and a half years later they ride in the back of my Z28 and say daddy's car fast mommy's car slow daddy's car loud mommy's car quiet brings a tear to my eyes .

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    OH YES YOU WERE!!!!! LOL

Anyway, I see your point about putting the kid in the middle spot of the rear seat, that is the safest place for it to be. That's where our kids were when we drove them around in the Jeep.

On a side note, how the hell did I survive in my Momma's lap, in the front seat of the '67 Chevelle wagon back in the day? I remember driving in that car, pulling a small pop up trailer to CA and back in 1968. I was 5 then.
    I remember riding in the back hatch area in my parents old fullsize station wagon. rode several times in the back of my fathers pickup (with cap on) where we had a big foam bed back there to sleep/play from Maryland to Canada and back......its amazing any of us are still here to talk about the good old days lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information