Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

anyone tried pushbutton start mod?

This is a discussion on anyone tried pushbutton start mod? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; that electrical drawing is lacking alot of details.I would NOT cut into the red wire.I would use the pink for ...

99PontTA
    that electrical drawing is lacking alot of details.I would NOT cut into the red wire.I would use the pink for powering both the relay and push button....with a 5 amp fuse inline to power the push button.
    the relay is needed because the honda<can;t believe we are using that name on this forum>switch contacts are probably only rated for a few amps....it will burn up quickly if too much amperage is run through its switch contacts.This is why a relay is used to do the work.The honda<forgive my laughter>switch can power the relay safely without burning up because the relays coil only consumes a small amount of power...less than the switches contact rating.
    Inside a basic relay are 1 an electromagnetic coil<which the honda switch is gonna power up>2 a set of contacts rated at a much higher rating than switch can carry that close when the elctromagnetic coil is powered up.The idea is to use those conacts to do the heavy work and let the honda switch do the light electrical work of only powering the electromagnetic field that will cause the relay power contacts to close energizing the circuit.

if i had an easy way to make up some good drawings to post for you i would.

I would be sure that ALL wiring involved in this mod is protected with the proper fuses.Example you DON"T want to hook that honda<forgive me fbody spirit>switch to the pink wire without a 5 amp fuse in the circuit to protect the small wiring and ampage rating of the switch....lets say you connnect the switch with small gauge wire rated less than the run circuit supply amperage and honda switch rating.If there is a problem like pinched wire...switch contacts short etc.Without a small fuse protecting that switch circuit there is probably gonna be smoke and fire from the wire overheating.
    The mods i suggest are 1 don't cut the yellow wire 2 use the pink RUN wire for all power connections and 3 fuse the honda<cough> switch with a 5 amp inline fuse.
    I looked at the factory wiring diagram and its looks like the BCM will lock out the starter circuit once the engine is running....so there should be no danger of someone accidently pushing the switch while the engine is running...anyone wanna test that for me???? DON"T
    Last edited by 99PontTA; 11-30-2005 at 09:54 AM.

Bright Red
    '99 T/A

Will this relay work if i just don't use the 87a pin?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOSCH...spagenameZWDVW

I'm not much of an electrial guy if ya haven't noticed

99PontTA
    its perfect.

Bright Red
    '99 T/A

sweet, it just made my todo list for this weekend....ill let ya know how it works out.

99PontTA
    nice...i'm thinking about doing the same mod...maybe even make a complete kit and sell it on ebay.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Awww...C'mon fellas! Thats ricer shit, i cant believe you would put a Honda part on your car! But hey...whatever floats your boat man.

Bright Red
    '99 T/A

dunno where you've been but every race car or super car ever made has it.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Yeah i know but i just dont like it, in my opinion it just makes your car that much easier to steal.

Bright Red
    '99 T/A

You still have to have the key in and on. and yes i know i know you might was well turn the key if you have to put it in anyway. I really just like the look of it.

99PontTA
    i think its cool.....

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Yeah i hear ya man, dont worry about it, to each his own. I was wrong to come on here and burst yall's bubble. But i gotta admit, that s2000 one does look good installed!

'01 M.R.M. TA A4:
    Bolt on's, suspension

'02 C.E.T.A. WS6 M6:
    Stock

99PontTA
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3
    Yeah i hear ya man, dont worry about it, to each his own. I was wrong to come on here and burst yall's bubble. But i gotta admit, that s2000 one does look good installed!
    i think if i do it its gonna be the pep boys button...somehow i can't see anything honda in my car...infact if i let into my urges every honda i see would have damage done to it...i dislike them extremely

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

If you got in and punched the button and WHAM! the car started, yeah that's cool. I think the fact that you still have to put the key in and turn, then stick in the clutch, THEN hit the button is downright annoying and defeats the prupose of having a push button start. I like the idea but you still have to do all the other work involved with starting the car so what's the point.

black
    RIP 02 Camaro SS

there is no point, it is for coolness factor

btw, i have one in my newest camaro, and i had one in my last camaro.

If i find the button, i will up it up for sale here, with the relays and wiring

Bright Red
    '99 T/A

just got it put in. looks great, the engine start letters glow almost the same color as the console and dash. all the friends really like it too.

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

That's what it's all about man. Good job!!

BRIGHT RED
    2002 FIREHAWK

Does anyone have pics of the button installed in there car. Thinking about doing it but would like to see what it looks like before drilling holes in my car.

99PontTA
    Quote Originally Posted by amstall
    just got it put in. looks great, the engine start letters glow almost the same color as the console and dash. all the friends really like it too.
    nice...how about posting some pics so others can have an idea how it looks

black
    RIP 02 Camaro SS

i acutally bought a convertable top switch plate, (which replaces the little pocket in camaros) so i did not have to drill anything

i will get some pics later tonight

Bright Red
    '99 T/A

You don't have to drill any holes when you put it in the dash.....just ream out the cigarette lighter hole a little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information