Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anyone know why the panel right under the windows crack?

This is a discussion on Anyone know why the panel right under the windows crack? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; All car companies cut corners. Some we see, some we don't. I like your proposed solution, and will persue it ...

LPM
    2000 SS

All car companies cut corners. Some we see, some we don't. I like your proposed solution, and will persue it when the time comes.

Do you think the panel will still fit with the added material?

my pass door was NEVER USED and it cracked 1st...i notice the cracks started after very cold weather.

White
    2001 Trans Am

I think ya'll are on to something with the cold weather. I just bought this car, and the driver's side was cracked with only 42K on it. Ive had 4 other 4th gens, down in Texas, and never did they crack. I had never seen it on another car or even heard of it till right now. Now it all makes sense.

LPM
    2000 SS

Mine is garaged/covered in the winter, so cold wx could be a player.

Cracks in cold = material expansion/contraction

look at the cracks in the cold,they will be wide open.in the warm they will close.plastics move around quite a bit.my dash in the 89 cracked two winters ago in sub zero weather,split right down the middle when i closed the door.SLAM-CRACK! i was kinda upset.car was perfect before that.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by TommySS
    All car companies cut corners. Some we see, some we don't. I like your proposed solution, and will persue it when the time comes.

Do you think the panel will still fit with the added material?
    It should; I'm sure the door panel isn't right up against the glass or any other moving mechanism. The fiberglass mat is very thin, almost like cheesecloth. It's when the resin sets up that it gets very hard and rigid. How thick the reinforcement comes out is entirely up to you; it'll depend on how many layers you want to put on. I'm going to do it when the weather gets warm again. Doing it while a nor'easter is raging outside is not on my list of favorite pastimes. Good luck! I want to be proactive and do it before my panels split. How much do new panels cost anyway?

Black
    01 Trans Am

my car spent its first 3 years in florida and the driver's side was cracked when i got it. the passenger side isn't cracked yet but i can see where its starting to. i can almost hear it trying to split while i drive down the road

See signature.

I just filled my in with black rtv and see what happens
    Last edited by MdFormula350; 02-12-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

My door panel cracked I bought it in Florida and drove it up to Virginia. I know it sat out in the hot sun and I don't know about all - but my door panel "bumps" out a little when the window goes all the way down. Maybe between the sun's abuse and the constant rolling down the windows the panel cracked. I LUCKILLY had it replaced under warranty at around 18K miles and with 100+ on the car now no cracks yet - however I just jinxed myself. Good luck.

See signature.

yeah its most likely from the different materials stapled to it up top and both expand and contract differently. plus the when the window goes all the way down when it goes up the panel kinda moves alittle.

so basically i think if u dont close the door by the window, dont roll it all the way down and just roll it flush with the top of the door, and maybe modify the window sweep pieces at the top of the panel like they did on ls2.com the panels shouldnt crack anymore.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Why the door panels crack.

It's because the windows are too big for the doors. The more times you put the window down, the more stress it put on the door panel. My Trans Am is the same way, you can't fix it. You have to deal with it. I think GM fixed this problem in the 02's maybe as early as the 01's. the door panel is forced when the window is down in the door. Sorry but you can't stop it unless you don't put the windows down. I am really surprised no one else knew this.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

It also only happens in the ls1's. it doesnt happen with the 93-97s. i think the windows are slightly thicker in the ls1s

White
    2001 Trans Am

I aint buyin the different window thing. I replaced the glass in my old 95 w/glass from an 01, and there was no visible difference. Functioned the same, also. Everycar prior to this one was T-top. Which equalls windows down cruising constantly(Texas), never a crack from windows down. Just my input.

Quote Originally Posted by TA2FST4U
    It also only happens in the ls1's. it doesnt happen with the 93-97s. i think the windows are slightly thicker in the ls1s
    say what? me thinks you better have a soda and rethink your position on this matter

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Well-I haven't seen any cracks on cars around here-been driving F-body cars personally since late 97.Worked on alot of them professionally and until I read this thread I had no idea this even existed.My point is this-maybe this is a regional problem caused by the different types of environments? Any thoughts on this?

White
    2001 Trans Am

Im with ya, 02z28ls1.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TA2FST4U
    You have to deal with it. I think GM fixed this problem in the 02's maybe as early as the 01's.
    Nope. Mine's an '02 and it definitely has the problem.

Black
    98 Camaro SS

Does anyone have this problem with the leather lined SS door panels???

I think the crack start at the end of the panel towards the rear of the car.

Post up some pics of your cracks...

LPM
    2000 SS

I'm wonderin if this is only a Pontiac issue (different panels?). Only ones who have the issue (in this thread anyway) are the Poncho owners, and the ones who don't are bow tie owners.

Coincidence or am I stuck in... ...the Twilight Zone?

flat black
    trans ams do it bad....between the way the panel is designed and other things...i would say the biggest problem is strictly putting the windows up and down...if you rest your knee on the door as you roll the windo down you will feel the door start to bulge....glass doesnt quite fit right....nothing you can do about it....my driver side started cracking about 80k....i bought it from an older guy "A" i dont think he put the windows down much and "B" i dont think anyone sat in the passenger seat...so you didnt have someone resting there arms on the door panels while the windows are down...if you try and fix it fix it in the already cracked position....dont try and make it like new...it may not crack there again....but then again it may crack some where else...somewhere worse..if your still within warranty which i cant imagine anyone would be.. make the dealership pay for it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information