Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 Trans Am

Anyone have this problem?

Sometimes just randomly my service engine soon light comes on. It will stay on for a couple of days and then just turn off again for no reason. Has anyone else ever have this problem?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

it's probably just your cars way of telling you that it wants a six speed, not an automatic.

Six speed=
    autos=

Sorry, i couldn't resist.

but anyway, I had the same problem with my camaro. I tried to get it emmision tested and the ses light came on 5 minutes before i got there. So I failed the test and by the end of that day the light went back off. So the next day I went back down to get the test and it happened again.

So I scanned it and it gave me a p0102 code. I think it was like a low volume for the mass air flow sensor. But it actually ended up bein my o2 sensor in the tailpipe. So try reading the code, that will help a lot.

2000 Trans Am

You are too funny!!! damn stick shift guys!!! yeh i will check the codes, it used to do that before they re-did my catalac converters, that gm messed up on. so maybe it's the same thing

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Go to a schucks auto supply, they will scan your car free.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
    well the light is off now. so i will have to wait until it comes back on again duh!!!

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Number 1 fix...check your gas cap. Not turning it enough times when closing it can allow air to leak in and that will throw the SES light. Or the seal around the gas cap could be wearing out. I failed my last smog check the first time because of a bad cap seal. Had to buy a brand new $10 cap. Then passed with flying colors.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    Number 1 fix...check your gas cap. Not turning it enough times when closing it can allow air to leak in and that will throw the SES light. Or the seal around the gas cap could be wearing out. I failed my last smog check the first time because of a bad cap seal. Had to buy a brand new $10 cap. Then passed with flying colors.
    Cool thanks i will have to check that thanks for the suggestion!

I second the scanning.. insist on it. If you were to take your car to some GM shops, they might try to talk you out of a scan for an intermittent service engine light. A buddy of mine who is a mechanic told me there's more money in the diagnosis, and so sometimes a computer scan which will reveal a problem right away might not turn out as profitable.

I know someone who had an intermittent SES light for years... would stay on anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, maybe 2-3 times a month. GM continually told him to just wait until the light was constantly on (which would indicate the problem is "happening now"). Eventually the car broke down, he took it to a private shop who ran a computer scan and found the problem, and fixed it. No more SES light since and the car runs great. I don't recall what the issue was.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Mine did it back when I first got it, funny thing was it happened while it was pooring down rain. Stayed on til the next day. Didn't put 2 and 2 together and since it was still under warranty, took it to the dealership that afternoon. Turns out my paper filter got wet setting off the light, then as it dried everything went back to normal. I just threw a K&N in there and called it good. No more SES light, ever, not even in the rain...

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

the obd II computer checks sensors every so many miles under certain conditions. there could be one instance when it checks and something is not in range, turning on the light. it goes off when it checks again and everything is in range. it will still save the codes in the system. i personally had an intermettent light. it was scanned by my mechanic and showed smog pump. he tested the smog pump but it was working fine. he reset the computer and said if it continues the smog pump would need to be replaced. everything was good for a month or two, then the same thing happened. had the pump replaced and was good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    well the light is off now. so i will have to wait until it comes back on again duh!!!
    You shouldn't have to wait,,,if it had a code, it is stored in the computer for up to 30-40 key cycles or something like that.

You can still hook the scanner up to the OBDII port and it should tell you what the code is.

When I hook mine up it even gives me a history of codes if they were never cleared long before I bought the car.
    Any decent scanner will show you what codes are stored in the car, then go from there.

Silver
    2002 Z28

OH, thats why my SES light came on? Damn, I didnt know being an auto makes it throw codes.. Wow so many problems fixed so quickly, awesome..

Actually I kind of what a 6speed, odd that my Z is an auto but my TSX is a stick. But then again, autos are better for drag racing.

primer
    65 nova

Attn. Mr Apache
    G.M guy here! 24 yrs as a tech the last 2 as the shop foreman doing driveability,electrical and transmissions and i can't remember saying to a customer hey your car is only intermittently f'd up ,come back when its really f'd up so i can get all you money. lighten up you'll need us someday when you get tired of throwing parts at your car to fix your free parts store scan diag

RED
    99 Chevy Camaro

Mine did the same thing, turned out to be the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by newtechnova View Post
    Attn. Mr Apache
    G.M guy here! 24 yrs as a tech the last 2 as the shop foreman doing driveability,electrical and transmissions and i can't remember saying to a customer hey your car is only intermittently f'd up ,come back when its really f'd up so i can get all you money. lighten up you'll need us someday when you get tired of throwing parts at your car to fix your free parts store scan diag
    Oh it wasn't any mechanic who said that! It was always your buddies up front, the service advisors

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by eronswife View Post
    Mine did the same thing, turned out to be the Cat.
    mine did this last time and they had to replace the cat's they said it was under warranty (the one gm released about this prolem) and they fixed it.......do you think it could be the same thing?....and if so will they fix it again for free?

primer
    65 nova

service advisors ! that explains everything i have a real problem with advisors

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It all starts with a scan and the code. Just swing by a parts store. Most use an actron brand scanner and the one I own will pull history codes so I would think theirs will too.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

^^ Post the code and then go from there...auto zone will let you use their scanner for free. They're all over the place in california..

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

it's probably just your cars way of telling you that it wants a six speed, not an automatic.

Six speed=
    autos=

Sorry, i couldn't resist.

but anyway, I had the same problem with my camaro. I tried to get it emmision tested and the ses light came on 5 minutes before i got there. So I failed the test and by the end of that day the light went back off. So the next day I went back down to get the test and it happened again.

So I scanned it and it gave me a p0102 code. I think it was like a low volume for the mass air flow sensor. But it actually ended up bein my o2 sensor in the tailpipe. So try reading the code, that will help a lot.
    awwwwww that was mean about that autos! haha
    not nice

girls can get away with an auto, guys cant unless they have some serious horsepower thats better with an auto

sorry off topic! continue......

Thread Information