Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Anyone have pics of the inside of WSstore catch can

Looking to get a nice looking functional catch can for my 98 WS6. Does anyone know if the one from the WS6 store has the mesh filter and tube for clean air return? thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I can take some when I get home today. I just got mine in the mail last week and I am waiting on some other stuff before I install it.

Yes on both, But I'll still post a pic for you.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Awesome thank you

yellow
    2004 gto

this also helps control oil loss, right?

Navy Blue Metallic

My camera sucks sometimes, but the canister measures out to be about 2" Diameter x 6 3/4" long, with fittings 3 1/2" wide x 8 1/2" Long. It comes with a mounting bracket and a 12" piece of hose.

The filter is a steel wool type screening.

jsmith564 - sorta, the pcv is design to relieve crank case pressure from inside the engine. Here's an explanation in case, pls take no offense if you already know this, many ppl do not.

"A crankcase ventilation system is a way for gases to escape in a controlled manner from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine. A common type of such system is a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system, the heart of which is a PCV valve—a variable-restriction valve that can react to changing pressure values and intermittently allow the passage of the gases to their intended destination (which nowadays is the engine's intake stream).

Internal combustion inevitably involves a small but continual amount of blow-by, which is when some of the gases from the combustion leak past the piston rings (that is, blow by them) to end up inside the crankcase. The gases could be vented through a simple hole or tube directly to the atmosphere, or they could "find their own way out" past baffles or past the oil seals of shafts or the gaskets of bolted joints. This is not a problem from a mechanical engineering viewpoint alone; but from other viewpoints, such as cleanliness for the user and environmental protection, such simple ventilation methods are not enough; escape of oil and gases must be prevented via a closed system that routes the escaping gases to the engine's intake stream and allows fresh air to come in."

Now on our LS engines over time the PCV hose cracks and breaks in 2 common spots. One is by the PCV valve itself and the other is on the back side of the Intake where it "Y's". If you have a vacuum leak this is the first place to look at.

Now to answer your question - a catch can is used to eliminate the PCV valve and to help minimize oil getting back into the Intake. Thus making the air cleaning and helps increase HP a small amount according to some ppl. Nothing to really say that you feel any increase, but you aren't burning oil and clogging the Intake up any more.

Most ppl that do this also upgrade the Valley Cover tray from a LS1 to the LS6 Valley Cover Tray. This moves the port from the Drivers Valve Cover rear to under the left side of the Throttle Body.

LS1howto.com and also in the General Section under Tech Stickies you can find threads on how to do this mod.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

My camera sucks sometimes, but the canister measures out to be about 2" Diameter x 6 3/4" long, with fittings 3 1/2" wide x 8 1/2" Long. It comes with a mounting bracket and a 12" piece of hose.

The filter is a steel wool type screening.

jsmith564 - sorta, the pcv is design to relieve crank case pressure from inside the engine. Here's an explanation in case, pls take no offense if you already know this, many ppl do not.

"A crankcase ventilation system is a way for gases to escape in a controlled manner from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine. A common type of such system is a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system, the heart of which is a PCV valveā€”a variable-restriction valve that can react to changing pressure values and intermittently allow the passage of the gases to their intended destination (which nowadays is the engine's intake stream).

Internal combustion inevitably involves a small but continual amount of blow-by, which is when some of the gases from the combustion leak past the piston rings (that is, blow by them) to end up inside the crankcase. The gases could be vented through a simple hole or tube directly to the atmosphere, or they could "find their own way out" past baffles or past the oil seals of shafts or the gaskets of bolted joints. This is not a problem from a mechanical engineering viewpoint alone; but from other viewpoints, such as cleanliness for the user and environmental protection, such simple ventilation methods are not enough; escape of oil and gases must be prevented via a closed system that routes the escaping gases to the engine's intake stream and allows fresh air to come in."

Now on our LS engines over time the PCV hose cracks and breaks in 2 common spots. One is by the PCV valve itself and the other is on the back side of the Intake where it "Y's". If you have a vacuum leak this is the first place to look at.

Now to answer your question - a catch can is used to eliminate the PCV valve and to help minimize oil getting back into the Intake. Thus making the air cleaning and helps increase HP a small amount according to some ppl. Nothing to really say that you feel any increase, but you aren't burning oil and clogging the Intake up any more.

Most ppl that do this also upgrade the Valley Cover tray from a LS1 to the LS6 Valley Cover Tray. This moves the port from the Drivers Valve Cover rear to under the left side of the Throttle Body.

LS1howto.com and also in the General Section under Tech Stickies you can find threads on how to do this mod.
    that looks exactly like mine but I got mine from catchcans.com

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

great thanks for the pics!

Navy Blue Metallic

jayta98, it does look alot like it. I wonder if this is their supplier?

Thread Information