Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

anyone have LINE-LOCK SYSTEMS installed on their birds?

This is a discussion on anyone have LINE-LOCK SYSTEMS installed on their birds? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Just installed the new Don Goetz Panhard bar, Torque arm and SLP line lock today. Works like a charm....

Triple Black
    02 M6 Vert Hawk #199

Just installed the new Don Goetz Panhard bar, Torque arm and SLP line lock today. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by LS1 Hawk; 02-09-2008 at 10:25 PM. Reason: fixing link

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    how would that be possible. i mean you would have to flip the switch, and that was a good idea, JIC someone drives your car and asks himself what does this switch do?
    First off no one drives my car but me anymore. The two times I let my buddies drive my car they couldn't handle it. So, no one does. The toggle switch under the dash only enables the other two. You have toggle that one on to get the supplied juice to the others. Then, you either use the SLP toggle after you press down on the brakes to lock the line pressure or the momentary switch if you want a quicker release; say at the drags.
    It's a great safety feature and I'm glad I added it just in case someone decide to flip one or the other switch. It won't effect me. You have to activate at least two.

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink View Post
    I didnt wire mine to the switch, I picked up the power from the pink wire that goes to the TCS though. I just drilled a hole in the plate big enough for the switch to fit in. There are several places to run the ground to in there, pretty much loosen a bolt that goes to the body, and stick the wire in and tigthen it up. The wire from the solenoid is on the opposite end of my switch obviously, just ran it through. To get the line-lock to work, you need to hold down the brake, flip the switch and then its activated. So if someone flipped it while I was driving it really wouldn't do much I don't think since the brakes aren't activated.
    Aaaah, you lose what ever brake the line lock is normally going to lock. It might cause a spin out. It locks the pressure away from that brake. Normally the left front if installed properly. Plus, it screws up the ABS. If you were to accidently activate it and come to an easy stop. You wouldn't know or feel much. But, if you had to clamp the brakes down in a emergency one wheel wouldn't brake.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Tried installing my SLP linelock last weekend.. but the fittings that go into the linelock don't get tight.. the lines still have play in them... what gives?
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

bump

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Found out my kit didn't come with the necessary brass fittings.. called up SLP and they sent me new ones for $9 shipping.. installed it.. just havent run the electrical yet to test it...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
    Did you do a toggle too.. or just use the stock switch that came with it? Pics installed? I was thinking putting it in the ashtray as well.
    I hid the line lock down on the frame under the car,,,,,then I wired it through the horn relay. I have a hidden switch under the dash to switch back and forth from horn to line lock.

When I want line lock I switch it on,,,then I can activate it through the horn button,,,works nice, don't have to take my hands off the wheel and it's stealthy,,,entire system is hidden,,,,

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I hid the line lock down on the frame under the car,,,,,then I wired it through the horn relay. I have a hidden switch under the dash to switch back and forth from horn to line lock.

When I want line lock I switch it on,,,then I can activate it through the horn button,,,works nice, don't have to take my hands off the wheel and it's stealthy,,,entire system is hidden,,,,
    Eh.. I'm thinking of putting the switch in the ashtray.. seeing as though I dont use it anywy... and it cant accidently get bumped there...

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

LINE LOCK INFO

IS hole behind pcm , but I drill hole beside steering colum also ( drill from inside out ) put a peace of rubber hose in hole ran wire inside hose, then use same type wire wrap as GM,tie wrap to the big rubber hose comming over master cyl
    I also mounted switch in ash tray
    I have used this unit (SLP/preformed lines ) for over 7 years with NO problems ( well yes one problem :::SLICK tires )

PS ::Connect brake line to master cyl and line lock ,the second line which goes to ABS block start it but leave it loose,remove cap from master cyl and let the lines grivity bleed watch the loose connection untill all air is out and run pure fluid ( may shake the line a little to help bleed ( REMEMBER BRAKE FLUID WILL REMOVE PAINT
    I placed plastic sheet over fender)if does not gravity bleed blow into master cyl and have some one watch for fluid at ABS block >>>THIS way you do not have to bleed the brakes from under car- >>I have no air in system, and no pumping nessary, no movement in front tires when accatived, I had no problem of any kind

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

Eh.. I'm thinking of putting the switch in the ashtray.. seeing as though I dont use it anywy... and it cant accidently get bumped there...
    Ya, I found it hard to shift and steer the car if the switch wasn't anywhere near where my hands had to be,,,hence the ash tray trick.... which is why I did the horn button, my hands already on the wheel and it frees up my right hand to shift. The biggest plus for me though, is I didn't have to drill any holes in the car.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 04-22-2008 at 07:00 AM.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Ya, I found it hard to shift and steer the car if the switch wasn't anywhere near where my hands had to be,,,hence the ash tray trick.... which is why I did the horn button, my hands already on the wheel and it frees up my right hand to shift. The biggest plus for me though, is I didn't have to drill any holes in the car.
    <---- Auto.. so shifting isn't a prob.. and the ash tray comes out.. so if i want to remove the linelock.. just spend a few for a new tray. and voila back to stock.

<---- Auto.. so shifting isn't a prob.. and the ash tray comes out.. so if i want to remove the linelock.. just spend a few for a new tray. and voila back to stock.
    I'm auto too,,,but shifting is still required for me,,,,full manual valve body gotta keep those hands where I need'em

Actually when I race the manual I don't need to shift in the burnout box,,,,I start the burnout in second gear and leave it there.

white w/NBM stripes
    1997 WS6 LT4 Trans Am

i have an slp line lock, i love it, almost the most fun ive had in my bird....

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink View Post
    I didnt wire mine to the switch, I picked up the power from the pink wire that goes to the TCS though. I just drilled a hole in the plate big enough for the switch to fit in. There are several places to run the ground to in there, pretty much loosen a bolt that goes to the body, and stick the wire in and tigthen it up. The wire from the solenoid is on the opposite end of my switch obviously, just ran it through. To get the line-lock to work, you need to hold down the brake, flip the switch and then its activated. So if someone flipped it while I was driving it really wouldn't do much I don't think since the brakes aren't activated.

If you flip the switch WHILE driving, it will not let brake fluid pass through the line to the front calipers, causing you to not have any front brakes. So yeah, don't flip it while you're driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    If you flip the switch WHILE driving, it will not let brake fluid pass through the line to the front calipers, causing you to not have any front brakes. So yeah, don't flip it while you're driving.
    Well,,,,it's probably not a good idea to have a flipping switch for the line lock just for this reason.

It's best to have a button.

I have a switch that activates the button

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

How hard do you think it would be to wire it into the stereo controls on the wheel? Flip a switch and your stereo buttons are now NOS and line lock for a race.

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    How hard do you think it would be to wire it into the stereo controls on the wheel? Flip a switch and your stereo buttons are now NOS and line lock for a race.
    Now that would be another cool idea. I would have to get the wire schematic book out but I am sure it could be done.

I love the stealthy hidden stuff,,,and with radio buttons on the wheel you have an entire arsenal at your fingertips like a 2-step, trans brake, etc...

Speaking of the 2 step,,,I have that wired to the floor mounted dimmer switch,,,,and at some point if I decide to install a transbrake I will wire that in conjuction with it,,,,My timing retard is wired to the turbo 400 passing gear switch down on the gas pedal.

Choices are endless really.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information