Anyone ever had a Labor claim?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever had a Labor claim? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Here's the deal folks. Bought a ring and pinion from "Randys Ring and Pinion and they shipped a set of ...

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

Anyone ever had a Labor claim?

Here's the deal folks.
    Bought a ring and pinion from "Randys Ring and Pinion and they shipped a set of Yukon Brand gears.My mechanic could never get them installed correctly and then discovered that the pinion shaft was milled down to far.
    Shipped the parts back to them and I have now recieved a refund for the defective gears since all the gears they had were flawed.
    Bought a new set from Jegs( richmond)
    Now my mechanic charged me for 2 install jobs since he did the install twice(actually about 5 times trying to get the Yukon gears to work beofre finding the problem) and after contacting Randys they advised me they would not cover any labor claim to help pay the mechanic.

Now my question is am I being nieve trying to get a labor claim or are they just trying to run a bluff on me.

I am going to call Yukon Gears tommorow to try and get this mess resolved but need to know if anyone has ever had a similar problem and what my options are.
    I kinda feel like my main option right now is to just bend over and take it

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I doubt you will receive a labor claim on either end. I mean the mechanic did do the work, He instailed the gears, or atleast tried to, and discovered they were wrong. Then he had to instail another set of gears.
    You can try contacting the company but there probly gonna tell you to suck it up and somehow wasnt there fault.
    Good luck either way.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    I doubt you will receive a labor claim on either end. I mean the mechanic did do the work, He instailed the gears, or atleast tried to, and discovered they were wrong. Then he had to instail another set of gears.
    You can try contacting the company but there probly gonna tell you to suck it up and somehow wasnt there fault.
    Good luck either way.
    J
    I agree but at the same time sometimes a shop/mechanic just needs to cut a deal to keep you as a customer. Although he did do the work twice you kinda got screwed at the same time having to deal with returning defective parts and getting new ones. All I can say is if the manufacture won't pay up which I really don't think they will but its worth a shot, I would not bring my car back to said mechanic. Now I would't talk crap about this mechanic around town cause is only trying to make a living and I assume did the job right. Like I said sometimes they need to cut a deal to keep a future customer.

white
    2002 z28

i see where your coming from but still you bought the parts 3rd party, brought them to the install shop and told to put them in.

but it would be differnt if you got everything from the same shop/install casue then that would of been there mess up.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

So you're trying to get Randy's ring and pinion to pay for the first install? Or are you trying to have the shop knock off some/all of the labor? Either way neither will fly...

As far as Randy's ring and pinion is concerned you could've done the install yourself...why should they pay for your lack of knowledge and not willing to learn?

The shop shouldn't have to do free labor because you brought in your own defective parts...that's the chance you take. I wouldn't blame them at all for not backing up parts that they didn't supply.

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

I think some of you ave misunderstood me a tad.
    I do not expect my mechanic to cover the cost of the first install.e is just trying to make a living and didnt charge me all that much for the 2 installs.
    I was wondering if anyone has ever made a labor claim or not and if it was a common procedure for defective parts.
    My intial reactionis that yukon should cover the cost of the first install since they are the ones who fouled up the gears anyway.

And what difference does it make if I installed the gears or my mechanic installed the gears my time is just as valuable as the mechanics.Not wanting to try the install myself was not the reason for taking the car to a mechanic it was the lack of appropriate tools to complete the job.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I understand where you're coming from...if it was me i'd try to get some money out of the place you bought the pinion from too. I'm just telling you what they'll more then likely say...you could always take them to a small claims court though

Thread Information