Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Anyone ever deal with these clutch fans?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever deal with these clutch fans? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 99 5.7 with the same fan setup. My step son and I tore a vise off of ...

White
    1998 Z28

I have a 99 5.7 with the same fan setup. My step son and I tore a vise off of my work bench trying to take one off. even with the pump off of it. They can be a B!tch.

Do you remember if they were left or right hand threads??

I've heard different answers from different people. I sure can't see it being left hand threads. I tried that tonight and you can see what it did to the thick C-channel stock I made a spanner wrench out of in the previous pictures.

I just ran to Sears,, they had nothing that even resembled a spanner wrench of any kind.

White
    1998 Z28

On the 99 it was a standard right hand thrd. Have you tried any autoparts store? Around here if they have the tool you can basically rent it for free. I didn't even know there was a tool to remove the fan until afterwards.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its not reverse thread. it unscrews counter clockwise. They can be really tough, but there is an awesome tool for it that works very well. It attaches to an air hammer and pounds it off. Here's a pic.

Standing in front of the car/truck, the fan unscrews counterclockwise from the waterpump.

Quote Originally Posted by FMBL View Post
    On the 99 it was a standard right hand thrd. Have you tried any autoparts store? Around here if they have the tool you can basically rent it for free. I didn't even know there was a tool to remove the fan until afterwards.
    I checked the local Autoparts and Oriely where you can rent tools. They had a kit for clutch fans, but it only came with the wrenches for the nut itself,,,and didn't have the studded spanner wrench to hold the pulley still. So I didn't bother.

Napa however,,,doesn't rent tools but they did have the kit forsale, and it actually comes with the studded spanner wrench for the pulley. $65 and I was ready to buy. Unfortunately they are out of it till Wednesday.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I checked the local Autoparts and Oriely where you can rent tools. They had a kit for clutch fans, but it only came with the wrenches for the nut itself,,,and didn't have the studded spanner wrench to hold the pulley still. So I didn't bother.

Napa however,,,doesn't rent tools but they did have the kit forsale, and it actually comes with the studded spanner wrench for the pulley. $65 and I was ready to buy. Unfortunately they are out of it till Wednesday.
    You don't need a special tool. Use the backwoods method. Put a c-clamp on the pulley and wedge it against the waterpump. It works. Just have to bust a nut to turn it with a wrench.

On the flip side: That air hammer idea from Cutlass looks promising.

I didn't want to mar up the pulley with metal clamps. So I came back home and made one of these.....

Worked like a champ, held the pulley just as it was designed for and the clutch fan came right off....Right hand threads by the way.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I didn't want to mar up the pulley with metal clamps. So I came back home and made one of these.....

Click for full size

Worked like a champ, held the pulley just as it was designed for and the clutch fan came right off....Right hand threads by the way.

Click for full size
    nice job!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Nice setup there. I can see where the marks from the clamp would be a problem if your not repainting.
    Glad you got it settled.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad to see you finally got it off.....now to the hard stuff. Good luck with it and that blazer should kick some serious ass when you're done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    glad to see you finally got it off.....now to the hard stuff. Good luck with it and that blazer should kick some serious ass when you're done with it.
    It seems it's always the simplest stuff that gives you fits.

I'll keep ya posted. I'm going to document this along the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information