Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone ever deal with these clutch fans?

I want to remove this clutch fan and run dual electric fans on a swap I'm doing. I'm not sure if this is reverse threads or not, but that large nut doesn't budge, and I'm having a hard time holding the pulley still cranking on this thing with a 2 foot wrench.

Any tricks to this? Also, it appears to me this large nut is also possibly holding the pulley onto the water pump. How can I go about keeping this pulley attached to the pump without the fan blade??

Here's a pic......

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Can you post a pic of the front.

It's been a long while but I believe there is another nut on the front right?

If so, you put a wrench on both and hold the back bolt while turning the front. I also believe that you are correct in that it is reverse thread too.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Im almost sure it has reverse threads last time I had a car with a fan clutch I had to remove and it was kinda of hard to get it out. I remember using one of those rubber strap wrenches.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

It looks like the type used the 5.7 from the late 90s full size trucks.
    If it is, you have to hold the waterpump pulley and crank on the nut in front of it. I don't remember which way it threads for sure, but I thought it was standard. I used a c-clamp on the pulley and wedged it against the waterpump.
    Its hard to break loose, so good luck with it Firebirdjones.

This is a 2004 6.0 from a 3/4 ton truck.

No nut on the front side of the fan, just part of the thermostat that is all part of the clutch.

I may try a rubber strap wrench to hold it. I'm afraid to clamp anything made of steel to the pulley, I don't want to mar up the surface since the back side of the belt rides on it.

What a goofy design. The next obstacle will be trying to figure out how to keep the pulley attached without the fan and clutch on there.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This is a 2004 6.0 from a 3/4 ton truck.

No nut on the front side of the fan, just part of the thermostat that is all part of the clutch.

I may try a rubber strap wrench to hold it. I'm afraid to clamp anything made of steel to the pulley, I don't want to mar up the surface since the back side of the belt rides on it.

What a goofy design. The next obstacle will be trying to figure out how to keep the pulley attached without the fan and clutch on there.
    I'm sure once you get it off ypu can find a washer and nut that fit in. GL bud

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I'm sure once you get it off ypu can find a washer and nut that fit in. GL bud
    I'm not sure,,,but if you look at the picture close,,,,you can see where the nut meets the pulley.

See how the nut is bevelled so as to center the pulley when the nut is tightened?? Almost like a lug nut for a wheel.
    That's the appearance it gives me anyway. So I'm not sure I could just stick a simple nut on there, I'd have a wobbly pulley if it isn't exactly centered.

I'm just thinking outloud here,,,can't get the damn thing off to verify anything

2002 VX M6

Smile

The clutch fans,

use a left-hand thread. There's a special wrench/spanner made specifically for fitting and removal.

They (clutch fans) do a better job than the electric fans keeping the vehicle cool in really hot weather.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Sid447 View Post
    The clutch fans,

use a left-hand thread. There's a special wrench/spanner made specifically for fitting and removal.

They (clutch fans) do a better job than the electric fans keeping the vehicle cool in really hot weather.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I want to remove this clutch fan and run dual electric fans on a swap I'm doing. I'm not sure if this is reverse threads or not, but that large nut doesn't budge, and I'm having a hard time holding the pulley still cranking on this thing with a 2 foot wrench.

Any tricks to this? Also, it appears to me this large nut is also possibly holding the pulley onto the water pump. How can I go about keeping this pulley attached to the pump without the fan blade??

Here's a pic......

Click for full size
    Could'nt you just get a pulley without provisions for a clutch fan?

I'd go to twin electrics anywho..

Just my .02
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Could'nt you just get a pulley without provisions for a clutch fan?

I'd go to twin electrics anywho..

Just my .02
    Well maybe, I won't know about another pulley until I find a way to get this one off. I need to keep the pulley size the same though, that's a new $60 belt on there and I don't want to change to another one. I'd like to keep the pulley I have if possible, I don't want to get into special sized belts that can't be found by a simple model application at the parts counter,,,know what I mean??

Quote Originally Posted by Sid447 View Post
    The clutch fans,

Figures there is a special tool,,,,probably something that isn't available at your local sears either,,,right??

I like the clutch fans personally, I use them on most of the classic cars here. But since this is a retro swap,,,going in a 72 blazer,,,and I'm moving the engine forward about 2" for other reasons....it makes the swap much easier and user friendly to convert to dual electric fans and rid myself of the large clutch fan. This would also allow me to remove the rather large truck style fan shroud and clean the engine bay up a tad. Besides, the shroud would probably need to be cut and trimmed to fit after moving this engine forward anyway,,,I don't want to do that so the electric fan setup cures a few issues here.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well maybe, I won't know about another pulley until I find a way to get this one off. I need to keep the pulley size the same though, that's a new $60 belt on there and I don't want to change to another one. I'd like to keep the pulley I have if possible, I don't want to get into special sized belts that can't be found by a simple model application at the parts counter,,,know what I mean??
    Yup I do.. My TT project requires special belts..

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Yup I do.. My TT project requires special belts..
    Ya, I have a couple of classic cars here like that because of some fancy pulley swapping I've done for different reasons. For those cars it's fine because they aren't my daily drivers.

On this swap though, I don't want to start that process, because it's going to be a daily driver. I don't want to be 1,000 miles away from home and toss a belt and not be able to just tell a parts counter it's for such-and-such and walk out with the right belt, no hassle.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you still ain't got that bolt off?? Sure you're qualified for this swap? Just messing with you......don't you hate it when it looks simple and then proceeds to kick the crap out of you?

Well I'm going to start resorting to more extreme measures.

I made a quicky spanner wrench out of 1/4" thick C-channel and this is what it did to it....

This thing is rediculously tight. Not to mention one of the dumbest designs I've ever seen,,,thanks GM.
    I'm either going to roll out the liquid wrench and cut it off,,,which would ruin any chance of saving anything and probably cook the seal in the pump,,or,,,,break out the sawzall and just cut right down the middle of that nut leaving half of it on there to hold the pulley, and get that stinking fan off of there.

It's either that or remove the entire pump and just buy a new pump, new pulley and start from scratch. What a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you still ain't got that bolt off?? Sure you're qualified for this swap? Just messing with you......don't you hate it when it looks simple and then proceeds to kick the crap out of you?

You are right. I've got more extreme obstacles to tackle in this swap, which I've pretty much ironed out. But this simple fan blade is kicking my tail..
    It has to go one way or another. It's either going to play nice, or I'm going to get aggressive.

Camaro

It's not reverse thread. Kent moore makes a fan wrench set to remove it.

Ya caught me before I resort to extreme measures
    Some say it's reverse thread some say it isn't. I don't know if I'm turning this thing the right way or not. Depending on which way it is,,,,if it wasn't tight before,,,it sure as hell is now.

Who around sells Kent Moore tools?? Sounds familiar I just can't remember where I've seen them.

Camaro

Ebay

Thread Information