Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    98 Z28 M6

Anyone else dislike the 6-way power seat?

I'm really tempted to get rid of it. I have a hard time getting in and out of my Camaro without moving the seat back. Especially if there's another car parked next to it. I'm usually in a hurry, and the power seat is just too damn slow.

I'm just wondering what would be involved to convert it to a manual seat (where you just slide it back and forth). Any idea how much it would cost?

ha it is slow !

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

I feel your pain. In the few days I've had my car, I've found that being 6'4" isn't conducive to getting into these cars in tight spaces. I have move teh seat back when I first get to my destination, then I can just open the door and slide right in.

Chris

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

your seat isnt already ALL the way back???? im 6'1 and its always all teh way back....i never move it...never have any probs...hum

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I never park close to other people and park far enough away from people that it never bothers me. I've noticed that some people have a rough time getting in and out of F-bodies, it does take some dexterity. It doesn't bother me -I'm 5' 11" BTW.

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    your seat isnt already ALL the way back???? im 6'1 and its always all teh way back....i never move it...never have any probs...hum
    I like to be up on the wheel when I drive a stick. But it's pretty close to being all the way back. It stems from driving my Chevelle. With no power steering, it made it easier to turn when I was up close. I guess I just got used to it?

Chris

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

ahh yes..and what he was sayin a few up....who parks anywhere near other cars so that its possible to have a tight fit getting in?? im always on an end parked all the way over or way out in parking lots

the seat position in these cars is a joke,who did they build them for?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I have heard this before when I drove my 79, something like the Trans am is not made for everyone one. Everyone needs adjust to the Trans am. I think it was said in a review about the 79 T/A . And to this day it is still the same.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I think the seats are extremely comfortable, I'm 6'6 so mine stays back all the time. Perhaps you could put another passenger side seat (they're manual) on the drivers side. Or just switch the two.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The drivers side controls would then be inaccessible due to the console. Unless you can move it. (?)
    I've yet to see anyone complain about getting in and out of a Corvette for example, it's not easy. I think it's that you expect it in a sports car . And you're not thinking this is a sports car. There was a brochure out when I bought my 02 Z, it said 'Corvette with a backseat'. I guess that's the way I think about it.
    It's like the Mustang people always talk about how they love the seating position in that car. I can't stand it! The seat doesnt even go back far enough and you have to sit bolt upright-I think it's stupid. And that goes for the new Stang also, I couldn't believe they didn't change that.
    So I guess it's all in how you look at it. And yeah-I will not park close to other cars, and I'm willing to walk from the far end of the lot to do it.

98 Z28 M6

I usually park away from everyone else when I can, but I have an assigned space where I live. Either way, I would love to be able to slide the seat back when getting in/out, and slide it up to start driving. I'm only 5' 7", and the seat is somewhat far up for my driving position.

My last car was a Dodge Stealth, and it didn't even have tilt steering. But, I must say, it was much easier and faster getting in and out with a manual seat. I guess I just got used to that.

Still wondering how much it would cost, and if I should try doing it myself.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

mine is broke down so when i get in if i am not careful my pants catch on the handle to recline the seat and rip the shit out of my pants!

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

6'2" 225lbs here and I don't put it quite all of the way back...but it's within an inch or two. Never really have a problem getting into the car unless someone parks 2 feet from my door (in which case they have earned the title "asshole").

Ideal seating position: This should be where your leg is slightly bent when pressing on the clutch or 100% throttle. Arm length determines upright seating position. Again, your arm should be bent slightly when sitting comfortably while grabbing the top of the wheel. Another check would be to sit back and rest your arm on top of the steering wheel (keep it straight this time). The bottom of your hand/palm should be just past the steering wheel. You don't want to be right on top of the wheel unless you like the feeling of the airbag pounding your chest like a sledgehammer. At least, that's how the C5 instructional tape told me to sit.

If you're having trouble getting in and out, why not tilt the steering wheel up before exiting the car?
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; 01-18-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

im small 5'9'' all i do it put the steering wheel all the way up and i have no problem. pluse i never park next to anybody
    Click for full size

Silver and Black
    2002 Z-28 Camaro

im 5' 11'' never really had a problem with the seat except for it being slow which had been previously stated. dont have to move the wheel or adjust the seat. i can park far away however and it always seems some f**ktart wants to park next to my drivers side and i can be 10 spaces away from the nearest car.

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

ha... I uh... couldn't drive without it. I'm 5'1"... and raising the seat is definitely required.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

I'm 6' 0" and I always keep it back as well. I think these seats are very comfortable, alot more so then many I've been in.

I found power Recaro's on the net and wonder if they would be as comfortable.

Anyone have these?
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 01-20-2007 at 04:50 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Does anyone have a car that they can think of where the seat moves really fast? Of course I mean power seats. They all seem to be about the same to me. I drive alot of different cars at work-and moved a few seats back so I can get in a drive them . I wasn't exactly timing them but never really noticed any real differences.
    Some manual seats are a pain to move back-but the Camaro manual one that I had before was nice. Had a lot of different ways it moved. Power seats are nice on long trips where you can move your driving position around to avoid cramps and fatigue.
    A Recaro seat as a rule gives more support, holds you in position better during cornering. Depends on your body type as to whether it is more comfortable to you or not.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Does anyone have a car that they can think of where the seat moves really fast?
    LOL...yea seat speed has never been a concern of mine.

Maybe someone can build a motor and tranny for it with a shift kit and a stall.
    "Man, when my seat hits second, I'm gone."

Beef up the compressor too.
    "Dude...when I want lumbar support...there's like no hesitation...it's NOW."

i can park far away however and it always seems some f**ktart wants to park next to my drivers side and i can be 10 spaces away from the nearest car.
    What is the friggin deal with that???
    I can park in Tokyo and when I come out from wherever I am there's some shmuck's Camry next to my car. I'm like is this guy for real???

Thread Information