Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Any way to get 25-27 MPG with a SS?

This is a discussion on Any way to get 25-27 MPG with a SS? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by xinthenight Well as I said in my other thread about buying my brothers civic with a h22 ...

cam/lt headers
    blue 2000 ws6 m6

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    Well as I said in my other thread about buying my brothers civic with a h22 swap for a DD since it got about 28 MPG I've grown tired of it quickly. I mean, I've been eating up most cars, wrxs and even v8 mustangs, but the low torque just isn't any fun. I prefer torque over HP any day.

So I had a 94 z28. Still have it, but up for sale. It was stock and I got about 17 MPG when taking it easy.

So I was wondering if it would be possible to hit 25-27 MPG with a 00-02 SS with a LS1. I seen that their engines get about 3 more MPG than a stock LT1 which is about 20 MPG. I was thinking about the following for MPG:

300 lbs weight reduction: 1 MPG
    Cold Air Intake or Ram Air: 1 MPG
    Headers: 1 MPG
    Exhaust: 1 MPG
    Tune: 1 MPG? How much?

So would I end up with about 25 MPG if I got a good SS with that done to it?

I know I know. Why get these cars if I have to worry about gas. Well, I'm a full time student and go from 7:40-5 on most days, so that gives me VERY little time to actually work and I don't live off of my parents. It took me 2 gallons a day just to get to school and back then another 2 to get to work and back, I was literally working half of my time just to pay to get to school and work.
    the guy i bought my '00 ws6 from kept the window sticker it says 18 city 27 hwy but how realistic that is i dont know, i do know i get damn good gas mileage, better than my wifes '03 4.2l 6cyl. trailblazer, which wer'e lucky to get 18 at most out of it.

Here ya go,,,,I just filled the 97 Z up yesterday at lunch time. This was nothing but in town driving. I haven't seen a highway since early October to be honest.

I put exactly 10.63 gallons in it and drove 218 miles. That comes to exactly 20.507 miles per gallon. And that was with 2 healthy burnouts on that tank of gas (due to some irritating drivers ) If I could refrain from doing that it actually does a pinch better,,,my wife does even better with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bowties&abird View Post
    the guy i bought my '00 ws6 from kept the window sticker it says 18 city 27 hwy but how realistic that is i dont know, i do know i get damn good gas mileage, better than my wifes '03 4.2l 6cyl. trailblazer, which wer'e lucky to get 18 at most out of it.
    Thats what most all of the window stickers said on these cars. And I find those numbers to be pretty accurate.

We had a pair of small jimmy's as well over the years with 6 cylinders,,,best I ever got from them strictly highway driving was 21 mpg and around town they got 17 at best. Not that great considering.........

Black
    1995 Chevy LS1 S10 Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    We had a pair of small jimmy's as well over the years with 6 cylinders,,,best I ever got from them strictly highway driving was 21 mpg and around town they got 17 at best. Not that great considering.........
    That is exactly accurate! My lil blazer got avg 17/21 with the 4.3L six and after swapping the LS1 got avg 16/22 but now with cam, converter, and big ass meats gets about 14/20 ...I'm now building an LS6 Datsun 280z for mileage LOL

Last edited by Bigdeezs; 01-19-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Swapped in a 2000 LS1 into a 95 S10 2dr Blazer COMPLETED Aug 6, 2005
    LS6/T56 280Z completed May 2008

Special Thanks to: Haddadmotorsports.com

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

You should be able to get that stock if you can keep your foot in it and drive conservatively, and also drive the majority highway.

Driving like grandma mostly highway I get 22-23mpg with my A4, and that's stock with heavy ass chrome wheels on it.

Also, don't mod it purely to gain MPG. Even at today's gas prices, it takes a LOT of driving to recoup that money in fuel savings.

I figured it out using a FTRA as an example. Assuming gas stays relatively the same price (fat chance, I know), with the 5% increase I'd expect from it, it'd still take me about a year of driving (15k miles) to get that money back in fuel savings.

It's more of a psychological thing, getting slightly better mileage.

But if you're doing the mods for performance, the side effect of the potential for better mileage is just a bonus. I say "potential" because you need to keep your foot out of it. Hard to do with new mods!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    All these high numbers are for highway driving. Who spends all their time on the highway? Also why own an ls1 if you are going to drive it like a complete pussy trying to get the best mileage. You may has well leave it in the driveway and buy some beater that gets 30mpg+. This guy misses the torque of a v8 surely he is not going to get an ls1 and drive it at less the 2k rpm all the time trying to get 2 more mpg.
    You miss the point. There's nothing wrong with driving like a "complete pussy" during the week while commuting. I do.

By your terminology, I assume you mean not lighting the tires at every light and doing under 80 on the highway.

Every little bit helps, and if you're doing 300 or 400 miles a week, it adds up fast. Sure if I lived just a few miles from work, I wouldn't give a rats ass, and I'd have 3.73's in it already.

But I have to drive long distances with it, like the OP, and while I realize I'll pay more for gas, I'd like to minimize that. So if by driving conservatively during the week (and saving wear and tear on my car and avoiding tickets), I'll do it.

There's a time and a place for driving with a lead foot, and you don't need to do that to enjoy these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    You miss the point. There's nothing wrong with driving like a "complete pussy" during the week while commuting. I do.

By your terminology, I assume you mean not lighting the tires at every light and doing under 80 on the highway.

Every little bit helps, and if you're doing 300 or 400 miles a week, it adds up fast. Sure if I lived just a few miles from work, I wouldn't give a rats ass, and I'd have 3.73's in it already.

But I have to drive long distances with it, like the OP, and while I realize I'll pay more for gas, I'd like to minimize that. So if by driving conservatively during the week (and saving wear and tear on my car and avoiding tickets), I'll do it.

There's a time and a place for driving with a lead foot, and you don't need to do that to enjoy these cars.

Well,,,thats what I tried to explain to him,,and it makes sense to most,,but with a user name like rc74racer,,,,I tend to think he's just a lead foot driver everywhere he goes no matter the situation

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #2364

I bought my 2000 SS A4 2 years ago. I filled it up drove it spiritedly for the first tank and was tickled to death with 21.5 mpg driving country roads. The best it has gotten is 22.9mpg and the worst was 19.9 mpg. I usually average about between 21 and 22 mpg every tank. The only highway the car has been on is only 5 miles long from my house to the city where the cruise-in happens every Saturday night. (also I drive thru the cruise-in twice every Saturday nite, it takes about 20 to 25 minutes of stop and go to go thru the strip of cars. My 2005 Honda van gets 19 to 20 mpg, my 1997 Subaru Legacy gets 24.5 mpg and my 1997 4wd gets 14 mpg driving the same areas, so I am tickled with the LS1.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information