Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Any way to get 25-27 MPG with a SS?

This is a discussion on Any way to get 25-27 MPG with a SS? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; That's 16-18 mpg...about avg if your in it a good amount...or do mostly city....

Black
    1995 Chevy LS1 S10 Blazer

That's 16-18 mpg...about avg if your in it a good amount...or do mostly city.

Swapped in a 2000 LS1 into a 95 S10 2dr Blazer COMPLETED Aug 6, 2005
    LS6/T56 280Z completed May 2008

Special Thanks to: Haddadmotorsports.com

You are not pulling down 25+ mpg without the majority of it being highway miles period. I didn't buy an ls1 to drive around under 2k rpms all day. 20-22 can be had if you have minimal mods and really keep your foot out of it. I get 19-20 mpg consistenly and I don't dog my car out. I just have some fun with it when the opportunity presents itself. I have lid, exhaust and 410s. Before the 410s I got around 21-22. My point is the original poster was inquiring about getting 25mpg out of an ls1 with mixed driving and that is not happening unless you run around at idle all day. Everyone starts chiming in about 25mpg this and 28mpg that and you won't get those numbers unless you are on the highway. Don't get me wrong these cars run great and get outstanding mileage for what they are but if you are worried about a DD that gets 25mpg+ an ls1 is not the car for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    You are not pulling down 25+ mpg without the majority of it being highway miles period. I didn't buy an ls1 to drive around under 2k rpms all day. 20-22 can be had if you have minimal mods and really keep your foot out of it. I get 19-20 mpg consistenly and I don't dog my car out. I just have some fun with it when the opportunity presents itself. I have lid, exhaust and 410s. Before the 410s I got around 21-22. My point is the original poster was inquiring about getting 25mpg out of an ls1 with mixed driving and that is not happening unless you run around at idle all day. Everyone starts chiming in about 25mpg this and 28mpg that and you won't get those numbers unless you are on the highway. Don't get me wrong these cars run great and get outstanding mileage for what they are but if you are worried about a DD that gets 25mpg+ an ls1 is not the car for you.
    You may have missed what I stated. I said that my 26 MPG that I get was in fact on the highway,,,,going 80 mph no less for about 4 hours,,,,certainly not driving like grandma,,,and that my friend is good in anyones book. Slowing it down a bit would have yielded another 1-2 mpg maybe,,,but I wasn't concerned,,,I'm simply amazed they do as well as they do for the way I drive it.

I also stated my wife gets 22 mpg regularly with her LT1 driving strictly around town everyday without a problem,,,,I get 20 with the same car driving the same route. It's easy to do really. I even play with the throttle some,,,doing things like skipping 5th gear,,,,it's not really needed if your going 45 mph or more anyway,,,why use it,,,,go right to 6th and avoid all the on and off gas stuff.
    When going through 35 mph zones I cruise through in 5th gear just fine, no need to stick it in 3rd and scream the motor through town like the kids do.

If people would learn to drive civil like they may find the mileage they want without spending money on modding.

I don't think anyone here is saying they get 28 mpg in the city,,,,it's obvious thats highway driving,,,,and I don't know why you have a problem with that,,,,it's normal for these cars,,,whats the big deal???? It's how the factory rates a new car right on the window sticker,,,,so much for highway and so much for city,,

I disagree with your comment on 25 mpg then LS1's aren't for you. I find them very economical and I'm perfectly content with the mileage they get. I didn't buy a pair of 4th gens for the milage though, I bought them for other reasons,,,the mileage was a nice bonus. But when you compare them to the thousands of SUV's on the road getting maybe 15 mpg the 4th gen's look like economy cars.
    I'm not hooked on mileage,,,hell my daily driver (beater) gets 14 mpg and thats all I have driven for more than 25 years, so I am used to stopping at the pumps on a regular basis.

But getting back to the posters original question,,,,yes these cars can be economical, and there are many people here that can vouch for that as you have seen. As one person said,,,everything has to be in good mechanical order, air pressure, tune ups, etc...

The only 4th gens I have seen that used gas excessively were either heavily modded with large camshafts and alot of gear (completely exceptable) or they had mechanical issues/problems.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-16-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Pewter
    02 Z28

do some weight reduction it helps with mpg
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

All these high numbers are for highway driving. Who spends all their time on the highway? Also why own an ls1 if you are going to drive it like a complete pussy trying to get the best mileage. You may has well leave it in the driveway and buy some beater that gets 30mpg+. This guy misses the torque of a v8 surely he is not going to get an ls1 and drive it at less the 2k rpm all the time trying to get 2 more mpg.
    +1 Also, headers won't help your milaege either. When my car was stock it got 21-22 mpg. I have a hard time believing anyone else got better milaege than that unless they are upping there tire pressure.

Black
    '98 Z28

Don't get me wrong these cars run great and get outstanding mileage for what they are but if you are worried about a DD that gets 25mpg+ an ls1 is not the car for you.
    Hell, I'd trade my DD cadillac in for a TA right now. I only average 18 mpg. I'd gladly take the 24 mpg I averaged in my old TA. Better gas mileage plus about 100 or so horses.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    +1 Also, headers won't help your milaege either. When my car was stock it got 21-22 mpg. I have a hard time believing anyone else got better milaege than that unless they are upping there tire pressure.
    21-22 mpg doing what??? City driving?? Thats what I get in the city....and much higher than that on the highway.

Nope I run recommended tire pressure. Something that alot of people don't even bother to keep an eye on,,,has alot to do with mileage.

Something people may not keep in mind as well is elevation/altitude and weather conditions all affect mileage. The type of gas you run can affect it as well.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i NEVER got 21-22 city ONLY driving in my 6 speed 99 mostly stock z28 when i owned it......u must drive VERY conservitive to be pulling that kinda milage.......think the most i could of gotten is in the 18 range...i typically get 14 or so in my 383 ......if i stayed off the pedal im sure i could manage 16 or 17 though ...highway prolly 26-27ish

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    i NEVER got 21-22 city ONLY driving in my 6 speed 99 mostly stock z28 when i owned it......u must drive VERY conservitive to be pulling that kinda milage.......think the most i could of gotten is in the 18 range...i typically get 14 or so in my 383 ......if i stayed off the pedal im sure i could manage 16 or 17 though ...highway prolly 26-27ish
    It's easy to do,,,,I don't drive conservative at all,,,,but I do drive what I would call normal or civilized,,,,no need to hammer the car at every light. I really don't even think about it,,,,,and it knocks down 20-22 mpg in the city easily.
    I think most peoples problem is thinking they have to wind every gear to 4,000 rpms from every stop light,,,,,WHY???? are they trying to beat someone to the next light?

I don't watch the tach while driving around, go by feel and use my ears. most of the time I am shifting around 2,500 rpms though,,,1-4,,,and I skip over 5th gear and go right to 6th if the speed limit is 45 or higher,,,no need for the extra gas pedal movements. I use 5th gear cruising through 35 mph zones,,,,,it's using simple practices like this,,,without thinking,,,,that helps with mileage,,,,besides,,no need to shift all the time if you don't have to.
    It's not hard people.

If your running a 383 and it's had a custom tune,,,,hard to say whats been changed but if your PE tables have been messed with to make them come in earlier than stock,,,which alot of tuners do on a modified car,,,,,then it's quite possible that driving around town you could easily tip into PE mode without trying hard,,,,which would kill mileage in a hurry. But I wouldn't expect steller mileage from a 383 anyway.

There are also tricks you can do with the 02 switching points in the tune to get even better mileage if you have the software,,,I will experiment with this in the future.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's easy to do,,,,I don't drive conservative at all,,,,but I do drive what I would call normal or civilized,,,,no need to hammer the car at every light. I really don't even think about it,,,,,and it knocks down 20-22 mpg in the city easily.
    I think most peoples problem is thinking they have to wind every gear to 4,000 rpms from every stop light,,,,,WHY???? are they trying to beat someone to the next light?

I don't watch the tach while driving around, go by feel and use my ears. most of the time I am shifting around 2,500 rpms though,,,1-4,,,and I skip over 5th gear and go right to 6th if the speed limit is 45 or higher,,,no need for the extra gas pedal movements. I use 5th gear cruising through 35 mph zones,,,,,it's using simple practices like this,,,without thinking,,,,that helps with mileage,,,,besides,,no need to shift all the time if you don't have to.
    It's not hard people.

If your running a 383 and it's had a custom tune,,,,hard to say whats been changed but if your PE tables have been messed with to make them come in earlier than stock,,,which alot of tuners do on a modified car,,,,,then it's quite possible that driving around town you could easily tip into PE mode without trying hard,,,,which would kill mileage in a hurry. But I wouldn't expect steller mileage from a 383 anyway.

There are also tricks you can do with the 02 switching points in the tune to get even better mileage if you have the software,,,I will experiment with this in the future.

i HAVE driven that car " civilized" 22 mpg was NOT possible....if u kept the rpms UNDER 2k for an entire tank i STILL wonder if that milage is possible.....im sry i disagree having owned a stock one before.....i skip gears as well often...most of the time actually....1,2 then 4th or 5th usually ...if i romped on it all over town in my current ride id expect in the 10-12 range...and of course my 383 has had a custom tune....lingenfelter ..im fairly certain they know what there doin

You may have missed what I stated. I said that my 26 MPG that I get was in fact on the highway,,,,going 80 mph no less for about 4 hours,,,,certainly not driving like grandma,,,and that my friend is good in anyones book. Slowing it down a bit would have yielded another 1-2 mpg maybe,,,but I wasn't concerned,,,I'm simply amazed they do as well as they do for the way I drive it.

I also stated my wife gets 22 mpg regularly with her LT1 driving strictly around town everyday without a problem,,,,I get 20 with the same car driving the same route. It's easy to do really. I even play with the throttle some,,,doing things like skipping 5th gear,,,,it's not really needed if your going 45 mph or more anyway,,,why use it,,,,go right to 6th and avoid all the on and off gas stuff.
    When going through 35 mph zones I cruise through in 5th gear just fine, no need to stick it in 3rd and scream the motor through town like the kids do.

If people would learn to drive civil like they may find the mileage they want without spending money on modding.

I don't think anyone here is saying they get 28 mpg in the city,,,,it's obvious thats highway driving,,,,and I don't know why you have a problem with that,,,,it's normal for these cars,,,whats the big deal???? It's how the factory rates a new car right on the window sticker,,,,so much for highway and so much for city,,

I disagree with your comment on 25 mpg then LS1's aren't for you. I find them very economical and I'm perfectly content with the mileage they get. I didn't buy a pair of 4th gens for the milage though, I bought them for other reasons,,,the mileage was a nice bonus. But when you compare them to the thousands of SUV's on the road getting maybe 15 mpg the 4th gen's look like economy cars.
    I'm not hooked on mileage,,,hell my daily driver (beater) gets 14 mpg and thats all I have driven for more than 25 years, so I am used to stopping at the pumps on a regular basis.

But getting back to the posters original question,,,,yes these cars can be economical, and there are many people here that can vouch for that as you have seen. As one person said,,,everything has to be in good mechanical order, air pressure, tune ups, etc...

The only 4th gens I have seen that used gas excessively were either heavily modded with large camshafts and alot of gear (completely exceptable) or they had mechanical issues/problems.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but you are missing the boat here. The original poster was curious if you could get 25mpg out of an ls1 on a regular basis the answer to that is no. I stand by my statement which was not directed at you and that is if you want a DD that gets 25mpg+ an ls1 is not for you. One more thing the difference between 20mpg and 25mpg is 25% over a year that is a lot of gas money. If you are tight and need an econmical car it's not an ls1.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but you are missing the boat here. The original poster was curious if you could get 25mpg out of an ls1 on a regular basis the answer to that is no. I stand by my statement which was not directed at you and that is if you want a DD that gets 25mpg+ an ls1 is not for you. One more thing the difference between 20mpg and 25mpg is 25% over a year that is a lot of gas money. If you are tight and need an econmical car it's not an ls1.
    No sir,,,not missing the boat,,,,,actually in the original posters defense,,,he never stated whether he was looking for mixed driving mileage figures,,,,or city,,,or highway,,,,,he just asked for mileage.

You are taking into account that he might mean mixed driving,,,,it depends I guess on how you want to interperet it.

Maybe this guy does nothing but highway driving,,,or maybe he does nothing but stop and go,,,,,we just don't know.

i HAVE driven that car " civilized" 22 mpg was NOT possible....if u kept the rpms UNDER 2k for an entire tank i STILL wonder if that milage is possible.....im sry i disagree having owned a stock one before.....i skip gears as well often...most of the time actually....1,2 then 4th or 5th usually ...if i romped on it all over town in my current ride id expect in the 10-12 range...and of course my 383 has had a custom tune....lingenfelter ..im fairly certain they know what there doin
    If 22 mpg was not possible with a 6 speed car then you may have had other issues going on you weren't aware of. I can't vouch for your cars mechanical abilities because I'm not there to verify,,,,but I have a pair of 4th gens that do this on a regular basis....and one of them is an automatic.

I never said that your tuner didn't know what they were doing....I simply stated that most custom tuners will enable the PE enrichment sooner than stock,,,,it's very common, especially on a more radical setup, larger cubes, etc.....with that said,,,,,I only stated it's very possible that your PE tables may be coming in sooner than stock,,,,,I never said there was anything wrong with that at all,,,,,but it will affect your mileage driving around town if you happen to tip the throttle far enough and enable PE mode and you wouldn't even know it. You would have to log the car with software.

Hope I made that more clear.

pewter

If 22 mpg was not possible with a 6 speed car then you may have had other issues going on you weren't aware of. I can't vouch for your cars mechanical abilities because I'm not there to verify,,,,but I have a pair of 4th gens that do this on a regular basis....and one of them is an automatic.

I never said that your tuner didn't know what they were doing....I simply stated that most custom tuners will enable the PE enrichment sooner than stock,,,,it's very common, especially on a more radical setup, larger cubes, etc.....with that said,,,,,I only stated it's very possible that your PE tables may be coming in sooner than stock,,,,,I never said there was anything wrong with that at all,,,,,but it will affect your mileage driving around town if you happen to tip the throttle far enough and enable PE mode and you wouldn't even know it. You would have to log the car with software.

Hope I made that more clear.
    i think u should look into getting a job for the federal transportation dept as GM would give u big money to rate there cars city milages 3 mpg better then they have achieved previously look into it!!! lol

i think u should look into getting a job for the federal transportation dept as GM would give u big money to rate there cars city milages 3 mpg better then they have achieved previously look into it!!! lol
    lol,,,I am beginning to think I just have more mechanical and driving tallent than most.

pewter

lol,,,I am beginning to think I just have more mechanical and driving tallent than most.
    i think u drive like my grandfather ....LOL

i think u drive like my grandfather ....LOL
    lol,,,,come on over for a ride sometime,,,,I think I can change your mind.

pewter

lol,,,,come on over for a ride sometime,,,,I think I can change your mind.
    LOL im not riding with u for 400 miles ( entire tank) just to see what kinda milage u can get...thanks for the offer though..haha

2000 Camaro SS
    1969 Z28 JL8 crossram, #'

The original poster wanted a car that can get 25 mpg and have lots of torque. A 6 speed LS1 is definitely capable of the range he is looking for but it does depend on what kind of traffic he drives in. The lowest I've done on a tank of gas with my 2000SS A4 car is 16 mpg when I ran Seafoam through the motor and revved the piss out of it that whole tank. I pulled down 20 mpg all summer long and that is 80% stop and go with never getting above 45 mph on the way to work(only a 10 minute drive which doesn't help). If you average less than 17 mpg then you have some issue(s) going on or you drive way too aggressively. I noticed my mpg drop as we went into winter and it seemed to drop too much so I checked the tires and they were down to 23 lbs each!

pewter

i have no issues.....the c5z06 i put well behind me says so!!!!! lol ....now u guys have me curious and ill have to keep tabs every fill up come spring and see how well i can do with mostly city driving

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information