Black
    1998 Trans Am

Any tips for A/C box removal?

I did some searching and cant seem to find anything about removing that big black box that the A/C lines run into by the pcm. It looks like its tucked back in there pretty good and was wondering how difficult it is to get out? Is there any thing to take out first that would make it easier? Also does that dash need to come out to get it out? I was just going to remove the under hood parts because I do not want to pull the dash. and will heat still work?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by TA98 View Post
    I did some searching and cant seem to find anything about removing that big black box that the A/C lines run into by the pcm. It looks like its tucked back in there pretty good and was wondering how difficult it is to get out? Is there any thing to take out first that would make it easier? Also does that dash need to come out to get it out? I was just going to remove the under hood parts because I do not want to pull the dash. and will heat still work?
    I just did this . When I get home I can write up exactly what I did. Simply put no you do not need to remove the dash for the heat to work you would need to keep the heater core and mod the delete panel to work. It isn't hard just time consuming and be prepared for it to come out in a million pieces.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok cool. By come out in a million pieces, is that because you have to break it into pieces or that's just how it comes out?

Black
    99 SS clone M6

I've always refered to this site for exploded detailed views of assemblies before I disassemble anything. This diagram shows the AC box assembly and pretty much everything your gonna be taking out.

AIR DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM. Fits: 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Gas 8 Cylinder 5.7L | Tonkin Online Parts

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Actually, this diagram shows everything inside that black box...should help ya out...
    A/C & HEATER MODULE ASM. Fits: 1999 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Gas 8 Cylinder 5.7L | Tonkin Online Parts

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by TA98 View Post
    Ok cool. By come out in a million pieces, is that because you have to break it into pieces or that's just how it comes out?
    You don't have to break it but it is a PIA if you don't. It only came out in a million pieces because I busted all the stuff to actually remove the box for simplicity. A BFG comes in handy.

To get the box out the first thing to do is remove the hose brackets and clamps in the engine bay. Then I loosened all screws I could find around and attaching the two halves of the box together. I actually cut the hoses that protrude from the heater core for ease of removal. Next, get under the glove box and remove the access panel. Believe it is attached by 4 screws and two tabs. Once removed there is a cover that needs to be removed to access the rest of the stuff. Now pull back the carpet to access the lower bolts on the inner side of the box. Remove all visible bolts that are attached to the firewall. Do not mess with the BCM which is the black box on the front right hand side.
    There is a cylindrical vacuum piece behind the BCM.

Disconnect and connectors and remove it. Next the weird piece it was sitting on that attaches to the firewall can be removed, this can be unbolted or smacked out with a BFG. I used a BFG since the bolts were extremely hard to gain access to. There is plastic around the heater core which can be removed by smacking it with a hammer and then the heater core should pull out. Next there is a bracket which is attached to the firewall and a block inside of the AC box, I cut it and removed the block. Next on the left hand side there is the fan resistor towards the bottom of the firewall.

I removed this. If all the bolts have been removed from the firewall the box should pull out. What I did was from the engine bay I removed the upper half first and then pulled the lower half out under the glove box.

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 01-19-2013 at 07:41 AM.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Ta Are you removing all the a/c components? Was thinkin about doin it myself. The a/c does not work anyway. (Compressor). Ive already been running it with the belt off. Just still debating about removing everything. Im sure its just for weight deduction correct?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yes just for weight and to clean up the engine bay. I hadn't had the belt on it on two years. I removed everything but the box section today and that too about 30 minutes. I also a tubular k member so getting to the compressor is easier also.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes just for weight and to clean up the engine bay. I hadn't had the belt on it on two years. I removed everything but the box section today and that too about 30 minutes. I also a tubular k member so getting to the compressor is easier also.

pewter
    2000 firebird

how many bolts on the fire wall holding the box in ?

Thread Information