Thread: Any ideas??

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Any ideas??

Ok guys heres the deal. Was in Az last week on a road trip and my car started acting up. First I spent $653 putting a new Delco alternator on it (out of town with no tools and only a dealer around). I took the car to autozone, pepboys, and a checkers and had it checked. They told me that it was only putting out 48-50 amps and just over 13 volts. After the new alternator I had it checked agin, and was told it was putting out like 13.5 volts now. My problem is, when its idling or being driven its fine, but when you turn the a/c on and the a/c fan kicks in, it goes right down to the 13 on the guage and barely rises above that. Any ideas??

2001 SS M6 113k miles
    Last edited by CamaroFan71; 07-27-2008 at 08:27 AM.

White
    02 WS6

13 volts should be enough....I think. Is the AC working OK when it's turned on? If it is, then I might think that there was to much resistance for some reason w/ the fan blower, and it's causing it to draw more power/voltage than normal. Oh yeah, how many amps is the new alternator? It should be in the 120 amp range.

dale

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by iam_dale View Post
    13 volts should be enough....I think. Is the AC working OK when it's turned on? If it is, then I might think that there was to much resistance for some reason w/ the fan blower, and it's causing it to draw more power/voltage than normal. Oh yeah, how many amps is the new alternator? It should be in the 120 amp range.

dale

I think the new alt is rated at 102 amps. Everything seems to be ok with the air. Right before the car started acting up the a/c acted like someone turned the fans off (hardly blowing any air). When I popped the hood the a/c condensor (silver tower thing) was actually ICED over. Maybe low of freon??

White
    02 WS6

Somebody else on here somewhere had that same problem not to long ago...the condensor freezing. I can't remember what he was told and I can't find the thread...someone else who knows or remembers the thread will come along soon....I hope.

dale

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by iam_dale View Post
    Somebody else on here somewhere had that same problem not to long ago...the condensor freezing. I can't remember what he was told and I can't find the thread...someone else who knows or remembers the thread will come along soon....I hope.

dale
    Im going to check and see if its low of freon. And this weekend I'll also check both cooling fans to make sure they spin freely. If one is going out and is dragging it may cause a power draw.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The 120 amp rating of the alternator is at probably 2500-3000 rpm. You might get about 40 at idle.

Thread Information