Thread: antifreeeze

black
    00 camaro Z28

antifreeeze

i was told when it came time to flush my cooling system that i should re fill it with the green antifreeze and not the dexcool because over time the dexcook corodes stuff. has any one ever heard of this? and in all honesty wich one would you guys go with? or does it even matter?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

This has been covered many times here. In reality, it doesnt matter. Some of us have gone to the green stuff, some havent. Dexcool is fine coolant as long as it stays away from non ELC coolant. If you do switch, flush the system many times. You dont want any Dexcool left in the system.

Smokem if you got em B4C Camaro's Avatar

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ricefordiner View Post
    i was told when it came time to flush my cooling system that i should re fill it with the green antifreeze and not the dexcool because over time the dexcook corodes stuff. has any one ever heard of this? and in all honesty wich one would you guys go with? or does it even matter?
    I haven't changed the anti freeze in my car yet but have done it in my Tahoe under advise from my mechanic...he said the Dexcool would mess up your cooling system..guess thats not a very technical answer but I havent had any issues from switching coolants in my Tahoe

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have run Dexcool in both my 01 Z28 (Sara), and my 04 Tahoe, and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I change the coolant every 50K using distilled water, and Royal Purple "Purple Ice".

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As stated by Hi-Po -- we have covered this quite a few times and you can search the site for more information. My personal experience was that the DexCool in our car did a great job of protecting the engine and radiator from corrosion. We purchased our car with 71,000 on it last year and I flushed the system in the spring. The block passages and radiator looked like new.

When you flush the system, be sure to drop the block drains as there remains quite a bit of coolant in the engine even after removing the thermostat housing. There is a 17mm allen bolt above and behind the alternator and a 5/16" (probably metric, but this had the tightest fit) allen bolt directly above the starter.

Whatever you decide to go with, just do not mix DexCool with any of the green stuff. Also, be wary of airlock on initial startup which causes the thermostat to stay closed. Slowly refill the cooling system and rock/bounce the car on it suspension as you do to help work out any air pockets.

black
    00 camaro Z28

thanks for the tips bros.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just run global or stick with dexcool. I have a feeling 99% of the stuff out there about dexcool is from old motorheads that by nature shun anything new. I've owned 4 vehicles that ran dexcool and never had any coolant issues with them related to dexcool. I run global in my f-body but ran dexcool for the first 90k miles.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The main reason why cooling systems corrode over time is by not using distilled water. Tapp water has minerals in it that over time cause electrolysis in the colling system and corrodes away at the aluminum. Its teh suck. But yeah, I just use distilled and water wetter. I'm in Northern Cali, no worries about freezing

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

from what ive read it seems like most people who run into problems with dexcool are people who never flush or change there coolant

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

if you flush your coolant once a year you'll have no issues. I haven't had an issue yet and I've had the car for 10 years. I actually run cooler now than I did stock

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

From what I seen and delt withdex cool will mess with the system,IF and only IF you don't change it at the proper intervals. I have seen cars and trucks come in that had the same coolant for 10 years that looked like clay was added and smelled like cow manure. I have seen cars come in that the owners done everything by dealer reccomendations relegiously, their coolant and systems were just as clean as new.

Just use the decool flush the system and replace the hoses every5 years or 100 k and you will be fine.

Thread Information