Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

Another strange sound ???

Ok there are a few of these on here.. but thought i would ask and be as specific as i can.... my car has the sound that i have big nubby truck tires on in,, at speeds of 10mph up to 55 mph... but once im at 65 mph it pretty much goes away... I dont think its the tires,,, and it seems to be focused on the passenger side.. At first i thought it was the rear end,,, i did do a gear swap and and only have mobil 1 75w90 in it with no friction modifier (its a Torsen posi) but dosnt seem to come from the rear end more like the side... i will be changing out fluid and put in friction modifier next weekend.. Any suggestions on what to check would be great.. i know these cars arnt known for being quiet... but its my DD and its getting om my nerves... Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

check the hubs for any play.

Is it just a sound or do you feel any vibrations?

A video would help if possible. Have someone sit in the back and try to record it.

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

seems like just sound.. these is some vibration but nothing abnormal to me.. i have 275/40/17 tires with chrome zr1 wheels... at first i thought it maybe the tires but with it going away at 65 i dont think it the tires... i keep thinking maybe front hub,,, or brakes(maybe ebrake ).... or my new gears and posi since i didnt put in friction modifier... it just sounds like your in a 4x4 with big nubby tires on...
    No play in driveshaft
    im put the rear end up on jack stands and see if i hear it with the wheels off the ground..

i changed sub-frame connectors, LCA's, PanhardBar, gear swap, Aluminum driveshaft, and now i have this nubby tire sound... heck i may have had it before but my pinion bearings were going out so i had that howling before... with that gone now i hear this...

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well i put the rear end up and ran it,,,, was pretty quiet... had a little vibration,,(i think from my exhaust) but nothing horrible... jacked up the front and checked the passenger side wheel for play and seem good and tight... had a little rotor noise.... so im stumped... im take the wheels off this weekend and go thru the brakes well... and re-grease all the caliber pins..

blue
    1999 TransAm

i kinda have a similar noise, ...seems most prominent around 30-35mph, it is "omni-directional" - i.e. can't pinpoint it coming from the rear, vs. the front, etc.? ...then higher speeds can't hear it, maybe that's when the "wind noise" component overpowers it.??

my suspicion is a detrioration of undercoating and maybe poor sealing of the lower door seal could be letting in more "road noise"... ??

Thread Information