Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another noise thread

This is a discussion on Another noise thread within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; No cats and not stock. Have rocked it and nothing. What hatch do you mean, the trunk?...

Pewter
    '00 SS

No cats and not stock. Have rocked it and nothing. What hatch do you mean, the trunk?
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Pewter
    '00 SS

My rear end is leaking also. I dont have money to replace it bht eventually will. How hard is it to fix the leak? Is there a write up anywhere?

I know thats off topic but all the same area so I figured I'd ask.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you have an after market muffler and strait tail pipes the passenger tail pipe is likely chattering against the spare tire well under the car.

Mine did the same after a custom exhaust install.

I took a rubber mallet and bent the spot weld lip over (towards the out side) at the bottom (seen from under car) where the factory jointed the 2 pieces of sheet metal to form the spare tire well.

The lip runs very close to the passenger tail pipe when strait pipe is used in place of a slightly bent one.

The OEM tail pipe on that side has/had a sight bend in it so it would'nt bump/rub the well seam there.

You can also sightly bend the hanger that attaches to the exhaust there.

Bend it slightly (just a little bit) towards/away from the well bottom, (I did both sides)..

This will take some of the left to right swing out of the exhaust/muffler and help keep it from bumping/rubbing the spare tire well also..

Pewter
    '00 SS

I am assuming the exhaust is SLP. It was on the car when I bought it. That is considered aftermarket correct?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check in the area Smittro described -- that is where the exhaust routing gets real tight. And yes, I was referring to the back hatch... or "trunk". The rear end leak is most likely the pinion seal (front of the differential where the driveshaft attaches). It is actually a factory option on our 10 bolt rears... they all seem to weep there. Members have had mixed success with most having the leak re-occur shortly after a seal replacement. If it is not actually dripping on the floor, I wouldn't sweat it.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    I am assuming the exhaust is SLP. It was on the car when I bought it. That is considered aftermarket correct?
    I don't know anything about SLP.

I just understand the exhaust routing on these cars, whether it's after market, or stock type replacement that area can be tight and as the exhaust moves/swings from left to right sometimes the tail pipe can come into contact with the area I've mentioned..

Some mufflers are less wide than others and may not create an issues some are not and do.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have a Borla catback and it was pretty much touching the frame right where it goes over the axle and would rattle. I cut a small section of rubber hose and wedged it between the frame and the catback. This worked well but would eventually fall out. Then I took a screw clamp and ran it thru the small section of rubber hose and wrapped/tightened the screw clamp around the exhaust pipe with the hose section in place right where the pipe meets the frame. No more rattle and never fell out again.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Come to find out it the caliper was a little loose and the tire as well. Everything is good now. Thanks for all the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information