Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

another fox/ls1 swap

This is a discussion on another fox/ls1 swap within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; A guy down here has a police interceptor retired fox body. I kid you not. If he gets the tires ...

Impounded
    A guy down here has a police interceptor retired fox body.
    I kid you not. If he gets the tires hot enough.. He can pop a wheelie over a soda can
    I didn believe dave when he told me. But its true. It will pop it off the ground on street tires...

Impounded
    any updates?

yellow
    2004 gto

updates?

I probably hate you bowtieguy02SS's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

yes bought my catback slp lm1, and the remaining of my gas tank seals sending unit, guel pump bracket, bought my cobra brake conversion parts (more expensive than i originally thought) and im buying my wheels tonight http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-fo...-p8182081.html

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

7 more days and ill have the $ for my trans cooler, bigger trans pan, and i cant decide if i want a yank super sport 3600 stal or 4000 stal. which would be best for my application? and if ur wondering why no pics of parts or cars progress, im still in iraq. have to wait for a little bit.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

ill go ahead and dig this bad boy up from its grave. some of you may/may not know i just returned home from iraq (5months ago) and obviously i couldnt work on the fox. ill be pulling her outa storage this weekend or next and finaly get to wrenching on her.

goals for this summer:
    1. AJE kmemeber put on
    2. coilovers put on
    3. fuel system in place (new gas tank and all the seals, pump, and fuel line ran)
    4. and hopefully get the interior gutted in prep for wiring and what not

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

and after much research done in the "off season" i have decided on my build. ill be purchasing a 408 short block from TSP late september/early october. i did months of research, literally months on small block lsx's alone. and from what ive gathered and with every "deal" you find, you cant build an all forged 408 for 3400, but you can buy one

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieguy02SS View Post
    and after much research done in the "off season" i have decided on my build. ill be purchasing a 408 short block from TSP late september/early october. i did months of research, literally months on small block lsx's alone. and from what ive gathered and with every "deal" you find, you cant build an all forged 408 for 3400, but you can buy one
    You found what I think alot of other people found, TSP has some of the best deals on shortblocks. Don't know how they do it, as I've priced stuff too and you just can't piece one together like that for the money, (good machine shops are expensive too). It's the same route I'm going when the time comes.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You found what I think alot of other people found, TSP has some of the best deals on shortblocks. Don't know how they do it, as I've priced stuff too and you just can't piece one together like that for the money, (good machine shops are expensive too). It's the same route I'm going when the time comes.
    i thought i was crazy and adding up something twice, and after looking at their build and parts list included, you just cant do it. unless you a. own the shop, b. had the block for a while and still own the shop. with tools, block, block prep, forged rotating assembly (balanced), bearings etc... it adds up. and i believe they do it so well and priced fairly because they are a huge chunk of the LSX market and its their specialty. must be a muscle memory type thing for them now.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieguy02SS View Post
    i thought i was crazy and adding up something twice, and after looking at their build and parts list included, you just cant do it. unless you a. own the shop, b. had the block for a while and still own the shop. with tools, block, block prep, forged rotating assembly (balanced), bearings etc... it adds up. and i believe they do it so well and priced fairly because they are a huge chunk of the LSX market and its their specialty. must be a muscle memory type thing for them now.
    Yeah shops that have a certain market cornered have a price advantage. Even if you had a good used bare block to start with (and bought cheap at $3-$400) there is still a ton of proper machine work to be done before any parts can begin to go in. Line hone, deck, bore and finish hone, magnafluxing, cleaning, cam bearings and freeze plugs installed (if you can't), Can all easily total another $600 or more. So you're at $900-$1000 for starters to get a block ready to go,,,,,and you don't have any parts yet,,,lol.

You could start with a brand new LQ bare block from GM that would skip alot of machine work, but that's still $750 plus tax,,,and it still needs a finish hone for your particular rings and pistons, so you aren't completely out of the woods for machine work. Now you're right back at the price of a used block and machine work,,,,and still no parts

Do the math and you can easily see that short block from TSP ready to rock is a deal.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

even after the, lets say 1k for a bare block, you have the least inexpensive a rotating assy from TSP for 1600, not balanced, no bearings.. rougly 2300 with bearings and balanced, lsx specific tools 300-800, impact wrench/torque wrench. oh and most important a lot of time and patience. and as you are more than aware, anytime you increase your stroke there ARE going to be more underlying clearance issues to be dealt with internally. and these are post block prep clearance issues.

im no ASE mechanic, but im faily confident that i could do it, but im also happy with spending hundreds less, having a professional assemble it, and it also have some type of warranty. lol.. in my mind ill have the same gratification of assembling my top end as I would have if i did the entire block. plus a built 408 in a fox is gonna be amazing

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information