Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Amsoil

This is a discussion on Amsoil within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones You are mixing oils? That's something I prefer not to do. For the LS powered stuff, ...

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You are mixing oils? That's something I prefer not to do. For the LS powered stuff, I just use a good 10w-30 synthetic. Right now Pennzoil Platnum is the cheapest in the jugs at $24 (5 quarts) while other synthetics like Valvoline and Mobil have gotten more expensive ($27 for a jug). So I've switched to Pennzoil for the LS cars until I see another price change.
    Other cars I have require more Zinc content that synthetics don't have (that I can find) so I seek those oils elsewhere (Walmart doesn't have them).

There is no doubt in my mind that Amsoil is a great oil and they may have a classic car oil out there with an additive package I need. I just have a hard time justifying the cost. Too many vehicles here that need different viscosities and additives along with being changed frequently.
    Oils oil man, have done it many times before. Unfortunately our cars take 5.5-6 quarts and sometimes Wally world is out of the matching quart..Ive used them all Penn. Ultra,Platinum, M1,etc.ect....for the price though the car seems to like the Qhorsepower. Im a firm believer of Synthetics reconditioning seals, etc, when I first picked up the car a few years back I had a bit of a leak, after a few oil changes it was no more.

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMillsAntz View Post
    Oils oil man, have done it many times before. Unfortunately our cars take 5.5-6 quarts and sometimes Wally world is out of the matching quart..Ive used them all Penn. Ultra,Platinum, M1,etc.ect....for the price though the car seems to like the Qhorsepower. Im a firm believer of Synthetics reconditioning seals, etc, when I first picked up the car a few years back I had a bit of a leak, after a few oil changes it was no more.
    Ugh...different oil companies have different additives. It's ok to mix weights, but mixing different manufacturers is such a bad idea. Mixing causes the oil to prematurely breakdown and basically make the oil useless.

Just because you played Russian Roulette before and lived to tell about it doesn't mean you will survive every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Ugh...different oil companies have different additives. It's ok to mix weights, but mixing different manufacturers is such a bad idea. Mixing causes the oil to prematurely breakdown and basically make the oil useless.

Just because you played Russian Roulette before and lived to tell about it doesn't mean you will survive every time.
    Mixing oils is a bad idea all around.

Just because our cars may hold more than 5 quarts doesn't make it necessary to buy one quart seperate, and a different brand at that.
    Just buy 2 jugs of 5 quart containers, it's much cheaper that way in the long run. Then you can keep one jug as your "top off" jug, and you'll have it for several oil changes.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

I wouldn't be so dramatic as to compare it to russian roulette....I think the car will survive seeing I probably don't even put 20 miles a month on it, and probably change it every 100 or so lol...but good idea on the top off jug.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    the mileage rating is what i was interested in plus the fact that my car will sit for 2 or 3 weeks before i drive it they said the synthetic wont drain to the bottom as much. the shop will do a change for like 120 bucks which is crazy high but if it lasts 25k miles ill be saving money.
    The oil may last for 25k but what about the filter. Use Mobil 1 and a high quality filter, change the oil every 6 to 8k and your car will thank you for it. this change will cost you about 32 dollars so three oil changes in 25k will cost you less then 100 dollars and you always have a fresh filter. You and your car win on this one.

And that's the big question. What filter keeps filtering effectively that long? I never hear any claims about that, and to me the filter is just as important.

That's why I never liked the tranmission flushes that shops advertise. It's nice to use a machine and force old fluid out while replenishing with new fluid,,,but you still have that nasty filter in there and all the nasty clutch sediment that collects in the bottom of the pan.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Amsoil make filters that last as long as the oil too.

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Amsoil make filters that last as long as the oil too.
    LOL, yeah and I dare anyone who owns a precious F body to run em and oil for 7000 miles...LOL
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information