Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Amsoil

This is a discussion on Amsoil within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I use Amsoil in my 2 stroke...smells good! I'm definitely thinking about using it in my car now, too....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I use Amsoil in my 2 stroke...smells good! I'm definitely thinking about using it in my car now, too.

Old Member, New Username BrownsMillsAntz's Avatar

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Ive used it, its probably one of the best around(ratings wise)....but its damn near impossible to find at your everyday auto store and its expensive as shit....I run Qhorsepower(lke $20 for a 5 quart jug) full synthetic or whatever happens to be on sale...

Heads/Cam/Intake/Stall.
    404 Rwhp uncorrected @ 6400

Our local Napa as well as a little mom and pop store called 7th Avenue both carry Amsoil. But you are right, it's a bit pricey for something that never stays in my crank case very long.

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

I ran there race oil and filter once because a bud doing some work on the car was a Amsoil vendor...im sure it was great stuff but the oil change all together was just shy of a $100 bucks ...Yea I hardly put miles on the car(not my DD) and usually change way before the change interval...so for me the best bang synthetic is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownsMillsAntz View Post
    I ran there race oil and filter once because a bud doing some work on the car was a Amsoil vendor...im sure it was great stuff but the oil change all together was just shy of a $100 bucks ...Yea I hardly put miles on the car(not my DD) and usually change way before the change interval...so for me the best bang synthetic is fine.
    I agree, I just use a quality synthetic for the daily drivers (modern roller engines), on my classics that tend to sit alot (some with flat tappet cams) I prefer to run a racing blend oil with higher zinc/phospherous content than the synthetics have.
    I believe Amsoil has a blend like this, as well as others like Brad Penn, but like you said, too expensive for something that isn't in the crank case for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Amsoil makes good oil. However it's expensive. $8 a quart or more. I've never seen it in bulk for cheaper prices unfortunately. I did however see a vendor at a recent Super Chevy show selling for $4.99 a quart. I just wish the local stores that have it on the shelf would sell it that cheap. Wishfull thinking.

Napa sells it, and a local mom and pop store called 7th Avenue sells it up here. I've used their gear oil, but I don't change that often so it's easier to swallow the price tag.
    Actually, Amsoil now has the OE product line. It's a fully synthetic motor oil that adheres to the manufacturer recommend oil change interval. For a typical LS1 Powered engine, consider OE 5W-30. This oil meets the spec for GM dexos1 of which not many other synthetics in this price range can match. It can be had for $4.44 per quart for a while longer until the price of crude drives up costs again. Evan after shipping and sales tax this oil is a good value.
    Last edited by CompSyn; 02-28-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added quote

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Let's see...

I run the 15W-50 High Zinc Racing Oil and the WIX filter in the Trans Am. I change that every 1500-2000 miles. The GTP gets the 10W-30 Signature Series Synthetic that is good for 25k miles or normal service or 15k severe service and their long life filter. I drained it after 10k and it looked almost brand new, so I put it back into the car for another 5k. It came out the same, but I changed it anyway since I push my GTP hard almost everyday. I just did an oil change on my wife's Corolla with the same Signature Series as the GTP, but we're testing it for 25k miles. I'm going to check it every 5k miles, but I am 100% confident it will last its advertised life.

I also use their Transmission Fluid in both the Trans Am and the GTP, as well as the 75-140 Gear Lube in my 9" Rear.

If you actually read the description on the long life oil, it will tell you 25k miles or one year, which ever comes first. Even if I changed the oil in the GTP right before Winter came and I only put 1k miles on it over said Winter, I would still change the oil in Spring. The drastic temperature change breaks down the oil faster than just regular driving does. That is why when people buy Amsoil from me, I always ask how many miles they drive a year. If they only put 5k on their car a year, I'm not going to sell them the 25k mile Signature Series, because that would be a waste of money for them. I would probably sell them the XL Series, because they may travel more than expected, but they'll still be in the safe range.

I never let it go that long in anything regardless of how it's advertised. Unless you are sending samples off to be checked, I wouldn't do it. I don't even come close to 25k miles a year anyway, some cars are lucky to see 2,000 anymore.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

That's the problem...people get set in their ways with the whole 3000 miles change your oil ideology. Technology advances, but people refuse to advance with it.

I'm old, I don't like change Besides, these cars sit alot, wouldn't make sense for me to spend extra money for 25,000 mile oil when the year would pass before I reached that amount of mileage.

I can run cheaper oil in it, and still change it yearly Most of my stuff requires higher zinc content than any synthetic can provide anyway, expensive or not. So I prefer to stick with racing blends and more frequent changes. Has worked for me for 30 years, I see no reason to change now.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm old, I don't like change Besides, these cars sit alot, wouldn't make sense for me to spend extra money for 25,000 mile oil when the year would pass before I reached that amount of mileage.

I can run cheaper oil in it, and still change it yearly Most of my stuff requires higher zinc content than any synthetic can provide anyway, expensive or not. So I prefer to stick with racing blends and more frequent changes. Has worked for me for 30 years, I see no reason to change now.
    I can understand your situation...I do the same thing in my Trans Am (less than 2k miles a year). On the other hand though, my GTP easily gets 15-20k a year and my wife's Corolla sees almost 20k guaranteed. Using Amsoil to it's full potential pays for itself in savings from not doing oil changes every 3k-5k miles.

Arrow Good, Better, Best...

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I can understand your situation...I do the same thing in my Trans Am (less than 2k miles a year). On the other hand though, my GTP easily gets 15-20k a year and my wife's Corolla sees almost 20k guaranteed. Using Amsoil to it's full potential pays for itself in savings from not doing oil changes every 3k-5k miles.
    Here's the break down. Amsoil now has a synthetic motor oil to match the preferred maintenance schedule of the individual.

Click on the image below to take a closer look:

Amsoil_OCI.jpg

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

^ Good Link.

Black
    2000 WS6

Will Amsoil make your car last longer?
    Probably not.
    Is it a good oil?
    Yes it is.
    Is it worth the price?
    Probably not.
    Will people buy it and not use it as specified?
    Probably.
    Would I rather leave it in my car for 5 or 7 thousand miles.
    Probably not.
    Would I rather change my oil every 3 thousand miles?
    Yes.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

Thats the intelligent way to do it..

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

The world is flat and the sun revolves around the earth

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have a 01 Z28 (30K original miles) "garage queen", that I use Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic oil. I change the oil evey 7k (3 yrs) with the filter (m1-206), and add oil periodically as used (1/2 qt every 2k).

The oil drained is still clean, and the filter is not "heavy".

I have had no problems using this method to date.

SteveC

Green
    1995 Z28 w/ LS1 Swap

Local shop is a vendor, he pushes amsoil like its the next best thing since white bread...he actually gave me shit one day because I brought him Mobile One to swap in while some other shit was being done...He was like "if you wanna run an inferior oil thats up to you" lol...Think his amsoil change is 60-65 bucks...My cars been running a Walmart brand oil filter,5 qt. jug Q Horsepower and a quart of Walmart synthetic and hasnt ran better....and about 30 bucks cheaper

You are mixing oils? That's something I prefer not to do. For the LS powered stuff, I just use a good 10w-30 synthetic. Right now Pennzoil Platnum is the cheapest in the jugs at $24 (5 quarts) while other synthetics like Valvoline and Mobil have gotten more expensive ($27 for a jug). So I've switched to Pennzoil for the LS cars until I see another price change.
    Other cars I have require more Zinc content that synthetics don't have (that I can find) so I seek those oils elsewhere (Walmart doesn't have them).

There is no doubt in my mind that Amsoil is a great oil and they may have a classic car oil out there with an additive package I need. I just have a hard time justifying the cost. Too many vehicles here that need different viscosities and additives along with being changed frequently.

puter/blk
    02 CAMARO Z28

ill find out the details guys ... i have a friend of mine that is an amsoil dealer and he will tell me srtiaght up what he thinks. he also is an authorized and certified porsche mechanic so ill let you know tomorrow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information