Thread: Am I nuts?

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

Am I nuts?

I am looking to get back into an LS1 after selling my WS6 last July. I am torn between a 2001 SS Vert and a C5 coupe/vert. I can find a great deal on an SS, but seems like the C5 are either very high miles for $14,000 +/- or the owners are on crack and want $20,000 + for a mid mileage vert. With the C7 coming out I think that is nuts. Is the C5 platform that much better that I should not even be looking at an SS? It is going to be a H/C/I car weekend cruiser. No track time. I also kind of like the fact that the SS is becoming scarce around here...C5 is everywhere!

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

It's really a matter of personal preference. They're two completely different cars. In the end, you're the one who will pay for it, and drive it, so you're the only one who can make the choice.

white
    96 Trans Am

I would go with the SS personally. (1) solid rear axle (2) way cheaper then vette (3) convertible vettes have alot more chassis flex. But i agree its your preverence.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

I just switched back to a 2000 SS after selling my 99 C5.
    The C5 liked to wheel hop all the time, plus "vette tax" on all the parts doesnt help when you need to replace stuff.
    The damn window/targa top seals are crazy expensive.

Targa tops on the C5 coupes are NOISY when removed. Can barely hear anything and its like a high pressure wind tunnel inside the car.... T-top cars are much quieter when the t-tops are out and not nearly as windy inside.

Just some things to think about.

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

I am also a bit paranoid about the C5 SWPS and body modules that go bad and are not available through GM for 2000 and older models. Yes, the catbacks, headers are about 3X the price too. I would do some strano springs, bilstein shocks, rear Lower control arms and a torque arm...I should be close to C5 in the handling department.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

They will never handle the same. Yes you can get upgraded suspension on the SS but the rear end config and suspension config on the two are still different. I actually just got rid of my C5 because I am buying a new house and moving this summer but I plan to get another f-body in the future. I mainly cruise and personally I have had more fun in my f-bodys just cruising around. The fact that I can fit my small children in the back is a plus for me.

In the end it all comes down to personal preference.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Corvette > Camaro. I own both and the C5 is better in every single way, especially ride quality. There are little quirks to work out on some C5s but mine has been flawless for my 2 years of ownership. I almost think about selling the Camaro and DD'ing the vette so I can buy a C3 as a weekend car.

Thread Information