Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being BS'd

silver
    2000 Audi S4

Question Am I being BS'd

Ok I have a couple of questions. Today I went by a local high performance tranny shop to inquire about a stall converter to get an idea of price for parts and labor. I have a 01 SS that at this time is stock, however I do plan to change that. I told the guy that I was thinking about something in the 3200rpm range for the stall speed and that at this time have the stock cam but would like something in the .580-.590 lift range. He then proceded to tell me that if I went with a cam that large that I would have to run a vacum pump or canister because a cam that size would not create enough vacum thus causing my power brakes to not work right or my dash vent controls, and etc. He also told me that I would need different heads because that is to much lift for the factory valves. He also told me that it would be too radical of a cam for street use. He then told me that a 3200 rpm stall converter is too radical for street ues and that the company who makes the converters he uses at his shop only make up to a 2800 rpm converter and that is even pretty radical for street use. I kinda just stood there dumb founded while he told me all this and needless to say I am a bit confused now. Can anyone shed some light on the matter for me? Also I live about 45 minutes north of the Tampa, Fl area, does anybody know of any good shops in that area?

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

your getting some bullshit, not all... but some

silver
    2000 camaro ss

the majority of that is bullshit, thats just him not being too knowledgeable on the subject and trying to sound like he is. i know the crap he said about the heads and cam is bs. not sure about the stall conv. thing. with the cam youll just have to upgrade your valvetrain. yes it will be bad for the street (if its not tuned!!). lol

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well.....
    I have a 588 lift cam...Patriot heads...LSX FAST Intake etc.etc....BULLSHIT!!!!!
    I have a Precesion Industries 3500 stall........BULLSHIT!!!!!

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

If all you gave him was a lift number, he has no idea how radical the cam is. I'm sure there are plenty of performance cams in the .580 - .590 range, many of them perfectly streetable in an automatic car.

Your best bet would be to talk to either the tuner who is marketing the cam you are interested in, or the cam manufacturer of your choice. Ideally, they can recommend a cam for you based on what you want to achieve and recommend a coverter and gears to match it.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

zboner has a similar set up that he's been running into a4 shifting issues, here is his rig:

z28,ARP rod bolts,comp R lifters,228/230 .558/.591 112, 918 springs, hardend P/R's

basically his tranny is gettin killed, he desperatly needs a stall too. but the car runs fine on the street! that guy sounds like a retard.

silver
    2000 Audi S4

Thanks guys I was pretty sure that this guy was givin me some bs. I am not the most knowledgable about these cars as I used to be a ford guy but ever since I bought my SS I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about it and what this guy was telling me just didn't sound right.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

It is borderline as far as vacume pressure goes. It might be a good idea to mod for that just to be on the safe side buy most people never have a problem. The stall is a personall preference kinda thing. Of course if all you work on is grocery getters all day a 3500 stall sounds kinda extreem when you compare it to a factory stall converter. This guy probably knows alot about general mechanics but knows little about Performance work, atleast thats how it sounds.

Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I think he needs to do some research before making statements like that to a customer.

I have an SS3200 stall in my Corvette. I can barely tell the difference between it and the stock converter under normal driving. It only drops 200 rpms when the converter locks, just like the stock one.

I think a cheap converter would be a bad choice. My friend has a B&M 3000 stall in his Mustang and it is terrible on the street.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup^^^^

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I have a Yank Y3000, 2.0 STR, coupled to 3.73 rearend gears, and a Transgo Shift Kit #3 washer, and I DID have some issues with the transmission shifting on my 01 Z28, the issues were corrected with a dyno tune. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone to a 3200 stall, with a 2.2 STR, my vehicle other wise is stock, and is VERY streetable.

SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 01-25-2006 at 04:59 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

ok-this will be controversial too-but if you look closely at the responses that the guys are writing-they have modified the valve trains(springs at least) at least if not outright changed the heads when going with that kind of lift.So that makes the guy at the tranny shop right so far.According to what I'm reading right in front of me-the stock valvetrain cannot work with anything over a .530 lift.However you can use custom length pushrods to regain proper geometry.Sarge's car is heavily modified(correct me if I'm wrong Sarge)for example.Can you do all this stuff-yeah you can.Just be ready to shell out some bucks to correct whatever problems come with it.And the stall speed of a convertor is relative to how much power is applied through it-more power makes it slip more which makes more heat.If your driving around in city traffic and below the stall speed of the convertor then it's slipping and it's creating heat.You will need to at least change the rear axle ratio so the engine can run in a higher rpm range.I'm sure there will be people crying bullshit at me -but let's have an informed debate here and let's give this guy some facts.It takes money to go fast-how much money you got?That's how fast you can go.With that kind of cam you will need to change the exhaust and intake to take advantage of it-otherwise leave the cam alone and go with headers and intake mods first IMHO.

Artic White
    2002 Ws6

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by DarthD
    My friend has a B&M 3000 stall in his Mustang and it is terrible on the street.
    The mustang is probably part of the problem.

silver
    2000 Audi S4

I dont plan on doing the cam for a while. I first want to do LT and full exhaust, lid, converter, 3:73's, and some other bolt ons. As far as a cam I would most deffinitly go with a full install kit with new springs, pr's, etc and have been lookin at Thunder racing and TSP. I would also get a good tune as well. I plan on doing this the right way. I would really like to know if there are any good shops that know these cars in the Tampa, FL area. I can't wait to get to the track either it reopens in a couple of weeks.

Black ASC#7564 May11,2001
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bwinch
    The mustang is probably part of the problem.
    I won't argue that one.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by shua01ss
    I dont plan on doing the cam for a while. I first want to do LT and full exhaust, lid, converter, 3:73's, and some other bolt ons. As far as a cam I would most deffinitly go with a full install kit with new springs, pr's, etc and have been lookin at Thunder racing and TSP. I would also get a good tune as well. I plan on doing this the right way. I would really like to know if there are any good shops that know these cars in the Tampa, FL area. I can't wait to get to the track either it reopens in a couple of weeks.
    It sounds like you have a good handle on doing things the right way-I don't like to assume that.There is a really good article (IMHO)on modifying the LS-1 in Hot Rod magazines Jan. 06 issue-they give an easily followed formula for getting up to 530 hp.Have Fun!

silver
    2000 Audi S4

I will have to find that issue of Hot Rod. Thanks!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Sounds like you need to go to a different shop. At least you had enough sense to ask people here who have experience. When in doubt, always ask around and get as much information as necessary. Oh yeah, and be prepared for some BS along the way, just learn to smell it out so you don't follow it (or step in it).

9sec302
    You have to look at like you're talking to a car salesman.
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

If you're unfamiliar with the parts you plan to put on your car, he's going to attempt to get you to spend a lot of money in his shop (Like salesmen do to women). If you go and buy all of this, someone will have to put it on for you and why shouldnt it be him (the guy that's going to rape you on charges).

I have friends riding around in Zs with 3200 stalls daily driven.........

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you owned your own home and had a plumbing problem you'd call a plumber-unless you could do it yourself.If you want your car worked on and you can do it yourself you will.If not- you're going to have to pay somebody to do it-and that somebody has a business to run.No it's not rape if the man asks you do you want something done and you say yes-it's up to you what you want to do.A business provides a service -you pay for it-the "salesman" needs to offer his services in order to stay in business.Shop around if you feel your being taken for a ride-go with the shop that you want.

Thread Information