white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

Alternator problem help this is crazy!

Hello, I have a 98 T/A when I bought the car I had to replace the alternator because the PS pump was leaking into it. I replaced the PS pump and the alternator. I bought a Duralast from autozone. It lasted about 2 weeks and then failed. They swapped it the next one lasted about 2 days and they swapped it, the next one lasted about 5 weeks, swapped it again for the one that is in the car now that just failed, this one lasted 2 weeks. I notice when the units fail it seems to happen right after I get up into the upper rpms, usually after rowing thru the gears.

I only have two wires coming from the alternator, one goes to the gauge and the other is the power wire. these alternators are all internally controlled, I have put new tensioner--Idler-- and gatorback belt on the car, the battery is new also. Ichecked the wires and they are all in great shape, I bought the alt for the lifetime warranty I did not want to be changing it for the rest of my life.

anyone have any clue what the heck is goin on? anyone else had this problem?

blue
    1999 camaro ss #976

i just know that autozone makes crappy or buys from crappy places. i know i had the same problem with starter and alternator on my 90 camaro untill i just went to napa and got them their problem solved

I use NAPA

white
    98 Ram air T/A Ls1/T-56

Yeah that is my next step here i am going to try and get my money back, and get one from napa.
    I know all the alternators I have got from AZ are made in mexico. So I am sure that they are built with the cheapest stuff.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I would never us AZ starters, alternators, or fuel pumps again AZ built in mexico or rebuilt by HS students cause problems everytime. You also know putting a new alternator on a bad or dead battery "can" screw the alternator up too though. Never heard of it that many times though.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

It seems like NAPA top shelf parts are the way to go. It's been hit or miss when I buy reman altenators.

black
    00 camaro Z28

did u buy the remanufactured one or the brand new alternator.

Awaiting Activation

navy blue
    1999 Trams Am

have you had the battery tested, a bad battery can still start the car but kill the alternator.
    btw just replaced my alt and battery. on the new alt there is a big bold lable that states severe damage will occur to alteranter if battery is not fully charged.
    thought my battery was ok, took it out to charge and it died. started out 390 cca ended 300.
    replaced both and no probs. rebuilt alt cheap batt. an extra 60$ is worth the headach.
    Last edited by VictorG; 05-14-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Black
    99 Z-28

I have put on 3 then when to GM & they put on 4 till they found 1 to work told me it was bad stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by RARON455 View Post
    Hello, I have a 98 T/A when I bought the car I had to replace the alternator because the PS pump was leaking into it. I replaced the PS pump and the alternator. I bought a Duralast from autozone. It lasted about 2 weeks and then failed. They swapped it the next one lasted about 2 days and they swapped it, the next one lasted about 5 weeks, swapped it again for the one that is in the car now that just failed, this one lasted 2 weeks. I notice when the units fail it seems to happen right after I get up into the upper rpms, usually after rowing thru the gears.

I only have two wires coming from the alternator, one goes to the gauge and the other is the power wire. these alternators are all internally controlled, I have put new tensioner--Idler-- and gatorback belt on the car, the battery is new also. Ichecked the wires and they are all in great shape, I bought the alt for the lifetime warranty I did not want to be changing it for the rest of my life.

anyone have any clue what the heck is goin on? anyone else had this problem?

white
    2002 B4C

I had to replace my buddies alt 3 times! Keep trying, go with someone else....I know it SUCKS! Crappy batch!

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

get an AC-Delco one.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

GO to the dealership and buy an AC Delco. Yes, they are expensive but it'll only bite you once, unlike autozone, NAPA, Checker/Schucks/Kragen, O'Reilly's, etc. They bite you back several times.
    Other than that, I hate autozone is everyway possible and I go to NAPA hands down for everything I can. I've had several crap NAPA alts, starter, P/Steering pumps, etc.

pewter
    2002 camaro

think i have the same problem, mine just went out today, the car lot i bought the car from changed it about a week ago, before i bought it, did u have better luck this time, how hard is it to change one.

white
    2002 B4C

Very simple to change. You've got to know someone who has done one before?

pewter
    2002 camaro

dont know anyone who has an ls1, but i do have a friend who is pretty good on cars.

Thread Information