Thread: Alternator?

White
    98 Trans AM

Alternator?

Just wondering what some of you might think. I have a 98 T/A and lately my lights have started to breifly flash on and off. The car seems to still run fine but this is obviously not good. Does this sound like the alternator is going bad? The battery is still charging but this just has me a little worried. Thanks for your input!

Dash lights too? If it's mostly on cold starts might just be the air pump cycling, mine has always done that when the weather cools down. Is the volt gauge steady? Constant flickering could be the alt, most autoparts stores will check the battery/charging system for free. Just my thoughts...hope it's something simple.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I drove a 98 Camaro for 4 years and then bought my 02 new also and have been driving since late 01 and both these cars will "blink" the lights while driving along.There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it-and I've never had a charging system problem with either car so I'm thinking it's a characteristic of these cars-if that's what you're talking about.It's like you blinked your eyes kind of light dimming,nothing more -that's what I've noticed.Both these cars did this since new-and the one car I took delivery of from the truck with 1 mile on it.(The other had like 100 miles on it.)

black
    2002 TA WS7

my 02 ta does the same thing i hope its nothin to worry about i dont think it is tho

black
    2002 TA WS7

i had my charging system checked and everything is tip top so i wouldnt worry about it

White
    98 Trans AM

Cool, thanks for your input! At least if you have seen the same thing then it probably is fine. It is exactly like you said just like a blink of the eye but the charging was still fine. That's great, one less thing to worry about!!! Thanks again!!

Green
    1998 Z28 - A4

yeah, i just got a 98 w/16k on it and it does the same thing, not all of the time prolly 75% and it is a constant flickering very subtle. you kind of have to focus on it to really notice it. It is really irritating

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Mine does the same thing, It's the alternator for sure.

I've cleaned it out with electrical cleaner before and that was only a short term fix, the long term is replacing it.

Advance Auto has bigger amp alternator for the LS1 F-bodies and it fits without modification.

It's not noticable unless the engine is idling hot and I put the trans in reverse and set the steering wheel to it's left or right lock and hold it there, the RPM drops to 400 briefly and that's where you can see the flickering at night and the backup lights does the same thing (seen in night looking at a white wall while backing up)

Thread Information