Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Alright....is this a common problem?!

This is a discussion on Alright....is this a common problem?! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 00ls-1 15-30k miles is about right unless you use cheap fuel or oldr gas stations...also if theyre ...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls-1 View Post
    15-30k miles is about right unless you use cheap fuel or oldr gas stations...also if theyre filling the tanks ata gas station keep driving it stirs the shit up in their tanks and you get it
    never when thru my mind. thats common sense.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    How many miles were on both vehicles when the pumps went out? A bit redundent, but the filter is your first line of defense in preventing pump failure, change it often!
    The 2000 Camaro had about 120k or so and this one only has over 80k miles....and yeah I'm pretty sure that me not having changed the fuel filter in over 30,000 miles might have led to early failure =( Completely my fuck up.

But anyways, I was trying to take it out this evening and SON OF A BITCH!! That metal ring around the fuel pump that holds it down nice and tight to the gas tank is a BITCH to take off!

Couldn't loosen it up, but I didn't have a hammer with me, so I put it off for tomorrow morning when a buddy is gonna come over with a hammer and good sized flat-head screwdriver to get that damn screw-lock off.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Yeah that ring is a bitch. Hammer and a screw driver has been my chosen way of turning it in the past. Good luck with it and plus 1 on all the fuel filter stuff. Change that thing often and keep fuel on the pump, but it sounds like you got the point on that. I learned it by experience too! Good luck man!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Be sure you have that ring centered when it goes back on. The hammer/screwdriver method is what I've used. As it walks into place it will want to go to one side, use the screwdriver where it's getting too close. Twist the handle on the screwdriver as you use the tip to move it back in place. You'll see what I mean when you do it.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Just be careful with the screwdriver. Everywhere I have worked, it was advised to use a brass punch as brass won't create a spark to ignite the fuel/vapors. Let us know how ya make out.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    Yeah that ring is a bitch. Hammer and a screw driver has been my chosen way of turning it in the past. Good luck with it and plus 1 on all the fuel filter stuff. Change that thing often and keep fuel on the pump, but it sounds like you got the point on that. I learned it by experience too! Good luck man!
    FWIW, they make a tool to spin that ring so you don't damage it.

OTOH, I've always used a screwdriver and hammer, just like "Too Fast" outlined. J-Tools be Damned!!!!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

hehe I have access to the J-tools and I usually use the hammer and screwdriver .

Silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    FWIW, they make a tool to spin that ring so you don't damage it.

OTOH, I've always used a screwdriver and hammer, just like "Too Fast" outlined. J-Tools be Damned!!!!!
    noone else is gonna know what the hell im talkin about but i figured otoh out on my on just now old man lol

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

15-30k miles is about right unless you use cheap fuel or oldr gas stations...also if theyre filling the tanks ata gas station keep driving it stirs the shit up in their tanks and you get it
    noone else is gonna know what the hell im talkin about but i figured otoh out on my on just now old man lol
    I learned that one before you were born, son.

Filling the tank (when a tanker truck is there) just stirs up the shit like you wouldn't believe!

FWIW, I've been working on my own cars (as well as others) since the early 70's - 1st because I couldn't afford to have somebody else do the work and 2nd'ly because I like'd the work.

Lately though, I let others (read: younger qualified kids - as in ASE qualified - the guy I let work on my car is an ASE Master Tech) do the hard stuff. Getting old is a stone bitch!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I learned that one before you were born, son.

Filling the tank (when a tanker truck is there) just stirs up the shit like you wouldn't believe!

FWIW, I've been working on my own cars (as well as others) since the early 70's - 1st because I couldn't afford to have somebody else do the work and 2nd'ly because I like'd the work.

Lately though, I let others (read: younger qualified kids - as in ASE qualified - the guy I let work on my car is an ASE Master Tech) do the hard stuff. Getting old is a stone cold bitch!
    fixed too.. When I was a kid I worked for a junk yard, used to carry trany's on my shoulder.. Now I call my younger brother for the extra hands and we both carry heavy stuff that needs moved from one spot to another.... No sense in getting hurt, takes longer to heal for me now..

..and yes the 1/4 tank thing and avoiding tanker days is older than the hills.. no offense to anyone..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

navy blue metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Damn lol I'm lucky so far as to have never caught anything on fire in my car....only fried SEVERAL fuses and relays throughout my years. And one speaker wire when I was wiring up an amp....hehe connected a ground to a positive. But that was when I was only 16 and still learning about electronics lol.

But as far as the fuel pump goes, I've hit an unknown snag. Posted another bulletin about it, seems there's a short somewhere not sending power to the unit along the wiring. Fuses/relays/ground are all fine and pump is new. So I'm going to start tracing back tomorrow until I find the power and source of this problem.
    I'll keep you guys updated

Silver
    2000 z28

I've never caught anything on fire but when I put the motor back in the iroc I had noone helped guide me or teach me sooo kinda learn as you go kinda thing... Anyway I had the car cranked finally and I was on my hands and knees for some reason and my dumbass put my hand on top of the distributor. Hurt like hell but I learned not to do it again. Before I got on this site and started asking questions I pretty much learned on my own whether on my vehicle or someone I was helping or at work. No trade school like uti or my dad guiding me I think ive learned pretty well because like you stated I'm not very old but I'm the lead mechanic at work and the guy under me is 50 lol... But all the info I can soak up here is much appreciated. I work on diesel trucks so there's no mod work and ya can't learn how to do it if you're not around it tge reason for all the questions lol kinda off topic but had to defend myself... don't think I'm doin too bad

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    I have use a small channel lock plier and squezee the back part of the ring and it comes out.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

OK this thread has completely taken a turn for the off topic nonsense...

Please get back on topic... no more reminiscing about the good ole days!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information