SOM
    2002 SS

Almost got stuck.... FYI plz read.

Interesting thing happened today. Went to the gas station and when I came back inside the car to start there was nothing. just faint beeps. voltage was super low which I knew was impossible unless my battery fell through the floor or exploded. ...

I got out of the car and by some chance I left the door open. I popped the hood and checked all the fuses and by some miracle my keys were still in the ignition in the 'run' position. I wiggled some ground wires I could see if they were loose and I figured I would wiggle the battery terminals and they were tight (new battery + alternator 2 weeks ago).

BUT when I tried to wiggle the positive wire to the battery I heard the ignition chime. Like wow.. loose connection? I checked and super tight. i guess it just wasnt making contact !!!! I gave it a good wiggle to make sure and sure enough when I got back into the car everything was on as normal and she fired up !!

Just my luck I had the door open and the key in the ignition and I happened to wiggle the positive wire on the battery ! Next time your car doesnt start start off by making sure your connections are 100%.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

could have some corrosion going on there too. I'd probably take those terminals off the battery and give them a good cleaning with a toothbrush and some coca-cola....or baking soda and water. Might not hurt to trim back the insulator and make sure the wire itself isn't corroded. I've seen that happen too.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

This is a good lesson to learn "the easy way". When we say clean and tighten the connections it is important to really clean the battery cables, check for signs of corrosion, clean surfaces on the battery terminals, ground connectors, etc.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I had this problem with my Jeep. I bought a terminal cleaner brush from walmart for like 2 bucks, it did the trick. It's a handy little thing actually, it has two ends, one male and one female, for cleaning the inside of the cable clamp and the outside of the batt terminal. Works like a charm.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The boot that covers the terminals can be pulled off if you take out the terminal bolt. Just slides right off when the bolt is out of the way. Dont have to cut. Once the boot is off then yep baking soda and water works wonders and it neutralizes any battery acid that my be present as well. However it wont remove copper corrosion ie (green stuff). If the the connection is corroded where it's crimped to the wire there could be a poor connection there as well.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    The boot that covers the terminals can be pulled off if you take out the terminal bolt. Just slides right off when the bolt is out of the way. Dont have to cut. Once the boot is off then yep baking soda and water works wonders and it neutralizes any battery acid that my be present as well. However it wont remove copper corrosion ie (green stuff). If the the connection is corroded where it's crimped to the wire there could be a poor connection there as well.
    Good point.

SOM
    2002 SS

forgot to do it last night and it wouldnt start again this morning. grabbed an 8mm and pulled off the + bolt using my gas card to keep the wratchet from touching the evap canister the entire thing was corroded. not very badly but enough to be obvious it was the culprit. I cleaned it a bit and stuck her back on i need to get a small brush from the store to clean it nicely.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    forgot to do it last night and it wouldnt start again this morning. grabbed an 8mm and pulled off the + bolt using my gas card to keep the wratchet from touching the evap canister the entire thing was corroded. not very badly but enough to be obvious it was the culprit. I cleaned it a bit and stuck her back on i need to get a small brush from the store to clean it nicely.
    Always remove the negative terminal first if you are going to work on the positive, this way there is no chance of a short.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    just use an old toothbrush and pour some coca-cola on it. It'll take that crap right off there.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

After it is clean, apply a light coat of Vaseline before re-installing the cables, and then another light coat after it is together over the bolt heads. No joke.

Thread Information