Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

All my squeaks and rattles... getting on my nerves

I've had the car since last April and there have been certain sounds that the car makes in certain circumstances. I've discovered the source of one of the sounds. Every time I hit any kind of turbulance, I get two sounds. One of them is the antenna being shaken by the bump. There is a piece at the base of the antenna that is loose and if I rotate it to just the right spot, it will sit tight and not rattle/shake.

The other sound is one that I always attributed to the aftermarket suspension being stiffer than stock (I bought the car with the suspension already on it; I've never driven a 4th gen on a stock suspension). It's a heavy duty Bilstien adjustable. But, I only hear it at the rear, passenger side wheel. Since I don't hear it on both sides, I'm wondering if it's a faulty set up. It's a somewhat percussive sound. From inside the car, it sounds a lot like knuckles knocking softly on wood. I detect no drivability problems, but I have no frame of reference for comparison.

Anyone know what the issue is?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I've had the car since last April and there have been certain sounds that the car makes in certain circumstances. I've discovered the source of one of the sounds. Every time I hit any kind of turbulance, I get two sounds. One of them is the antenna being shaken by the bump. There is a piece at the base of the antenna that is loose and if I rotate it to just the right spot, it will sit tight and not rattle/shake.

The other sound is one that I always attributed to the aftermarket suspension being stiffer than stock (I bought the car with the suspension already on it; I've never driven a 4th gen on a stock suspension). It's a heavy duty Bilstien adjustable. But, I only hear it at the rear, passenger side wheel. Since I don't hear it on both sides, I'm wondering if it's a faulty set up. It's a somewhat percussive sound. From inside the car, it sounds a lot like knuckles knocking softly on wood. I detect no drivability problems, but I have no frame of reference for comparison.

Anyone know what the issue is?
    Tighten the antenna collar nut..

It's the washer looking thing with the 4 grooves (not the 5/16 antenna post itself) but below it.. The actual threw body mount..

You may have to keep the other side from turning when you tighten the collar nut..

To the other sound.

Possibly a driver rear axle bearing going out.

Or the parting brake ring and pad/shoe may be damaged.. Just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-22-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

what kind of bushing does your susp. use?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

could it be that the LCA's bushings are bad or dry? or maybe loose? Have you check the rear shock bushings and looked to see if they are not damaged?

White
    1998 Z28

Our 98 was lowered when we got it. It had alot of horrible sounds. The biggest problems I had was bump stops on the rear were shot and the PO just threw the spare tire and jack in the rear well. Once The jack and the spare were secured it felt like a new car (almost).

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Mine has an annoying rattle. i found out that is the plastic piece on the hatch close the top of it. Is that 2 piece plastic piece that is close to the interior light but on the hatch. If I put pressure on it while someone drives the car the noise stops.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I know there are some F-Bodies out there with rears which are slightly off center. I dunno if it's a worn panhard bar bushing causing the noise. Keep us posted.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I know there are some F-Bodies out there with rears which are slightly off center. I dunno if it's a worn panhard bar bushing causing the noise. Keep us posted.
    Most f-bodies rearends favor the drivers side iirc..

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Most f-bodies rearends favor the drivers side iirc..
    this be true

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

do you hear any noises when you go over a bump or uneven road?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    what kind of bushing does your susp. use?
    No idea. I found the instructions for the front suspension (Koni) in the service recordfs, but no literature for the rear Bilstiens. I'll have to check my service manual to see if I can figure it out based on stock parts.

White
    2001 camaro SS

I have the Bilstien that comes on the car from slp and when I go over a rough part in the road the rattle from the rear is very noisy but i just figure thats just part of having a car like this
    2001 Camaro SS, LM 1, BMR LCA, relocation brackets, BMR springs, adj panhard bar, smooth below, lid, sub-frame connectors weld on, strut brace
    2000 WS6, ls6 intake, sub-frame connectors, slp maf, slp cat delete with slp y-pipe, electric cutout, strut brace, smooth below, slp lid, bmr LCA and RLB

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    do you hear any noises when you go over a bump or uneven road?
    Yeah. It's most noticeable on the softer shallower bumps (maybe because these bumps are otherwise quiet, which makes the sound more noticeable). For example, if I'm driving on a "bumpy" part of the free way, I hear it at every little bump (the very, very gentle bumps). There is a particular part of I-5 here near Seattle that is exceptionally smooth (can't even hear the friction of the tires on the road). It feels like I'm driving a Cadillac. But on roads that are just a little less than average smoothness, I hear it.

Other than this sound, there are no symptoms that I can detect by driving the car.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Yeah. It's most noticeable on the softer shallower bumps (maybe because these bumps are otherwise quiet, which makes the sound more noticeable). For example, if I'm driving on a "bumpy" part of the free way, I hear it at every little bump (the very, very gentle bumps). There is a particular part of I-5 here near Seattle that is exceptionally smooth (can't even hear the friction of the tires on the road). It feels like I'm driving a Cadillac. But on roads that are just a little less than average smoothness, I hear it.

Other than this sound, there are no symptoms that I can detect by driving the car.
    Now if the noise is been there since you had the car take in consideration that you have aftermarket suspension part on it. These stiff the suspension and you will feel the road more. I have experienced that since I replace my panhard, LCA's, Torque Arm and put SFC. You can check the bump stops like suggested and see if they are bad. See if you can get someone to drive the car and sit on the back sit to make sure is coming from the passenger side only. Have you checked the bushings of the shocks, panhard, LCA's? Check your torque arm also. Is the car lowered?

White
    2001 camaro SS

speaking of the bump stops when I had my new rims put on like two months ago both rear bump stops are gone nothing left of them and I only just hit 33,000 mile on it. so idk what happen to them.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01SsRacing View Post
    speaking of the bump stops when I had my new rims put on like two months ago both rear bump stops are gone nothing left of them and I only just hit 33,000 mile on it. so idk what happen to them.
    They could have fallen out or rotted away.

White
    2001 camaro SS

im thinking they just rotted away do i need to worry about this?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 01SsRacing View Post
    im thinking they just rotted away do i need to worry about this?
    well is not critical but the rear end will hit metal to metal if it compresses the shock that much. If the car is lowered I will get them replaced. Alot of members including myself put the ES ones since the GM ones are discontinued. The ES one are made of poly but the work nice with a small modification and they are pretty cheap.

White
    1998 Z28

Double check the spare tire compartment and make sure everything there is tight. A loose spare tire sounds like the rearend is going to fall out from under the car when you hit a bump.

White
    2001 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    well is not critical but the rear end will hit metal to metal if it compresses the shock that much. If the car is lowered I will get them replaced. Alot of members including myself put the ES ones since the GM ones are discontinued. The ES one are made of poly but the work nice with a small modification and they are pretty cheap.

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Yeah it has the bilstein on it and ive heard it hit metal to metal not a good sound at all!!!

Thread Information