Blue
    1999 Blown Trans Am

all the dash lights came on....then it dies... if it even gets that far.

OK having a problem with starting the car. Sometimes there is no power and other times it clicks once. Other times it starts right up. It helps if I wiggle all the wires coming from the battery and I have changed the terminals. When there is light outside again I will start with a voltage meter again and start checking all the way to the fuse box. Any ideas ????? I will let you know what I find. One more thing I made sure that I had a good ground and that the wire was tight from the battery to the alternator and from the battery to the fuse box.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Check the wires on the starter for good tight connections.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Have the battery load tested - most parts stores will do it free. You can have enough voltage, but not enough AMPs to turn the motor over. If it's borderline it can be intermitent.

Black
    98 Trans Am

When mine was doing the same thing, it was corrosion under the red rubber insulation cover on the positive battery cable. The funny thing is that I had actually cleaned the part that contacts the battery, and had the battery and alternator checked at AutoZone and things checked out okay! I didn't see the corrosion until I took the bolt out of the pos cable connector, and removed it completely (didn't know it would do that), and DAMN...it was CAKED!!! Wire brushed it with the ol' Dremel tool, slopped it down with vasaline, and never had a problem since. I know you said you changed the terminals, but I bet it's to do with a bad connection/corrosion somewhere. The intermittent voltages just makes the computer freak!
    Last edited by IronBird; 10-10-2006 at 03:50 AM. Reason: sp error

Blue
    1999 Blown Trans Am

Its been working for the last few days so YEAH!! But what I found was this. And mind you I did them all at one sitting so I have no idea which one did it. First I checked all the grounds. The one to the Alt. the one to the top of the wheel well right by the battery and the one at the battery itself. All needed cleaning and the one right behind the battery (right above the wheel well) wasn’t even on bare mettle so I insured that all were up to standard. Next I checked all the “powers” (+) the one on the battery and then the ones going to the fuses in the engine bay. Then the one to the starter and Alt. All were in good working order some double tightening and I gave it another try. Worked like it should. I think that some were something was just lose enough move to a place that had poor connectivity. Either way it works now and I needed to buy a volt meter anyways. Thanks for the insight people.

Thread Information