pewter
    99 Trans Am

Angry Alarm going off when locked with remote.

Can someone tell what is going on with my alarm, if I lock the car with the remote or use the power lock botton in the car the alarm goes off,but if I do it manually it don't.What's up with this? Also I posted about the airbag light staying on but got no good reply,can someone help me with these two issues.I Have had the car 9yrs and these are the frist problems I have ever had.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

my alarm goes off constantly as well. i haven't gotten around to it yet but someone mentioned that i should turn the sensitivity down on the exterior sensor. i think it's located in the spare tire well.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

id try a new battery in the remote and reset the alarm by hold both the lock and unlock buttons down for like 10 secs (theres a certian amount of time but i cant remember what it is). . . the air back light is problably just a bad connection or ground.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    id try a new battery in the remote and reset the alarm by hold both the lock and unlock buttons down for like 10 secs (theres a certian amount of time but i cant remember what it is). . . the air back light is problably just a bad connection or ground.
    will that do anything if the alarm goes off when the remote is far out of range?

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    will that do anything if the alarm goes off when the remote is far out of range?
    no . . . but my impression is after you do this. . . it resets the alarm back to default. as for the new battery, i thought the op meant as soon as he hits lock, the alarm goes off. just thought this sounded like an issue in the remote itself.

Using the remote or power door lock button arms the alarm, locking it manually doesn't. If the problem is the alarm is going off for no apparent reason just after arming that's usually an indication the shock sensor is bad. Easiest way to check if that's the problem is to temporarily disconnect it and see if it stops. I'll thumb through my helms and see what it says about the air bag light staying on....

After looking through helms I'd bring the car to a dealership and have them figure out what's going on for the air bag light. There are 10 different "B" codes for SIR alone, each with separate diagnostic procedures - and not following them correctly could result in air bag deployment. Some ask if the carpet got wet or something got spilled onto the SDM (infamous black box)under the console. Only thing I'd try myself would be to reset the PCM and see if it goes away, probably won't though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Using the remote or power door lock button arms the alarm, locking it manually doesn't.
    I know on my 98 bird lockin it with the button on the door does arm the alarm. . . i dont know about actually manually pushin the indicator over (maybe this is what you mean). I haven't tried either on my 00 ta.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Using the remote or power door lock button arms the alarm, locking it manually doesn't. If the problem is the alarm is going off for no apparent reason just after arming that's usually an indication the shock sensor is bad. Easiest way to check if that's the problem is to temporarily disconnect it and see if it stops. I'll thumb through my helms and see what it says about the air bag light staying on....
    How would I disarm the sensor and where would I find it, and how long do I need to leave it disconnected?

The shock sensor is on the passenger side wheel well, where the spare tire is. Just disconnect it for a couple days and arm your alarm like you always do, if it stops going off you've isolated the problem. You can also take it apart and see if there's any corrosion in it from water getting in there. The rest of the alarm system should still be operative.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I tried the post given by Gullett17 and it seemed to work for now.I hope that I have it solved,now on to the airbag light. Thanks to all for their post on both of my problems.The alarm post saved me a lot of worry, because I wanted it to work like it was surpose to .Once again thanks for all the help.I also need to mention that there have been alot of flooding here due to the strom that passed through New orleans.And that also my have been my problem water. either way I got it solved,thanks again.
    Street Fighter
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 09-03-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Thread Information