SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

air vents not working

my defroster works, and the floor vents work but the 6 face level vents wont blow any air, ac or vent

sometimes they kick open when i have the switch on the right setting, but recently just the floor ones open up when its on the (face level vents ) only setting.

When i'm running the AC the floor vents arent cutting it, i need to get the face level ones working, like i said, the floor ones are stuck open, and the face level are stuck shut, i have no idea why

any help greatly appreciated.

jeff
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Red
    1998 SS

the exact thing happens to mine, i asked about 3 months ago and no one had a clue...hopefully some one will this time around.....cause its getting hot in here
    98SS A4, TSP CLR LID, LS6 INTAKE, BMR SFC/STB/ LWR CNTRL & TRQ ARMS, KYB ADJ., HOTCHKINS SWAY BARS, MSD WIRES, JETHOT LT/ORY, MAGNAFLO CATBACK, EIBACH PROKIT, 19" TSW WHEELS, PERMA COOL TRANY COOLER.

257.8 hp (MUSTANG-DYNO) b4 ANY MODS.
    13.6 1/4 mile

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

I don't know personally about the Camaro (mine is a 2000Z28). The other makes I have worked on all have tubing running to a central controller located behind the AC/Heater control switch panel. If you have been working in the area one might have pooped-off. They look like fish tank tubing. The other possibility is in the same area and is a contoller (computer type box) with a cable attached to a "slider" that actualy drives the internal mechanism that selects vent position. If the controller (computer) is goofing up it will probably be costly. It was on my RX7. Hopes this at least gives you somewhere to look.

Red
    1998 Z28 Camaro

This has happened on my 1998 Z28 as well. I'm positive it has something to do with the suction device on the back of the AC controls that has somehow come loose. The damper that controls which vents the air comes out of is pneumatically controlled by a vacuum supply from the engine. I think most GM cars are this way. The default position for the damper is the defrost position so when the rubber gasket that attaches to the back of the AC controls breaks its seal or a rubber hose comes loose, the vents get stuck in defrost mode.

I had a really tough time driving to work this morning because my windshield kept fogging up (I had the AC on because its hot and humid here in Houston).

Anybody have any diagrams or know where I can find some kind of manual that shows how to disassemble the center part of the dash? I already know how to take out the radio. Are the AC controls easily accessible from there?

I'd check for a vacuum leak behind the intake, there's another line on the passenger side near the airbox too.

Red
    1998 SS

let me know if this is what u guys are talking about, this valve is cracked and broken....is this the ac valve??????

Attachment 5298

Attachment 5299
    Last edited by redz284u; 03-05-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Maroon
    86 Trans Am

thats called a vacume leak and yes change it

Green&Teal
    1993TA 1998Z28

I had the exact thing happen on my 93ta and it was a valve somewhere back there. I had a shop that owed me one fix it so I can't give ya detailed instructions.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

it was that valve, i couldnt get a new one but i did smear silicone around the crack and its working fine for now untill i get a new valve

thanks again guys

Red
    1998 SS

was the valve....replaced and its workin....thanks for the info all...

Thread Information