Thread: AIR and EGR

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

AIR and EGR

I know what the EGR does but what is the AIR for and IF I get LT's can I get rid of them? Should I get rid of them or just get the LT's with the attachments for them.

thanks

Black
    1999 Trans Am

All the AIR does is pump compressed air into the exhuast while its still hot to turn as many of the COs into CO2s becuase they are less pollutant or something. You can get rid of both the EGR and the AIR. If you're worried about visual inspection or anything you had better keep them and get the headers with the attachements.

Black

IF I get rid of them how do I seal the holes that will be left on the intake manifold?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

You can just get an LS6 manifold. I'm pretty sure they don't have the holes.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I'm not sure what you would cap the holes with though.

Secondary AIR injection system forces fresh filtered air into the exhaust stream in order to accelerate the catalyst operation. (From my Helms). So basically it helps heat up the cats on cold starts. If you're not going to have cats I'd get rid of it, but like the previous poster said make sure you'll be emissions legal for your state inspection. You can purchase block off plates for both the AIR and EGR.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

i took a peice of tin and used the old mounts. you will get an ses light.ceaned up the engine bay looked better

Black

SO if I do decide to get rid of them then I have to get the LS6 intake at the same time so i don't have the hole? and im not worried we don't have any inspection in Madison not emissions checks at all. and would a tune get rid of the ses light?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Madcity T/A View Post
    SO if I do decide to get rid of them then I have to get the LS6 intake at the same time so i don't have the hole? and im not worried we don't have any inspection in Madison not emissions checks at all. and would a tune get rid of the ses light?
    Actually, I think I might be wrong. I think the LS6 intake has the holes also. I'm not sure though. Either way, you can just use block off plates like other people said. And and tune will get rid of the light.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

ls6 does not have the "air" hole..i think slp made the ls6 with the air hole though...and when you buy the headers..they should have the caps..my hedmans did

Black

This has been alot of help thanks for the repleys! Should I just buy Off road headers the ones with out and attachments for the AIR and EGR? what did you guys do?

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

IF you are gonna get headers, GET offroad headers!!!!

If you stay with stock manifold, you can get all the blockoffplates and gaskets for $25.

The hole on the intake, i used a rubber expansion plug.

Black

Since the EGR is used for cooling does it affect temp if it is removed or is it minimal?

Black

ALso will the dealership bitch next time I take in in for standard maintance?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Removing the EGR definately reduces the temperature of the air going in to the engine. When its operative it pulls from the hot exhuast and puts it back in the top of the engine. It probably won't even affect water temps though.

And more than likely, you'll have trouble with the dealership if you remove either the EGR or the AIR.

Black

anybody have any experiance with taking them out then having to take it in to the dealer?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I still have everything on my car becuase I'm scared of the visual inspection when I go for emissions. I have a friend in Missouri though that removed all of it and he can still get regular maintenance at the dealership, just not under warranty. His warranty was about up anyway though.

Black

Well there is no more warrenty and I try to do everything myself or at a performance shop but I have had to stop by. Wisconsin (atleast in Madison don't do any inspection) but since it is still illegle to not have that stuff would they do anything about it or just ?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Generally what happens is, if there is somekind of problem with your car, when they see the EGR and AIR is disconnected they will point that out and try to blame your problem on those not being installed. Some dealerships might actually do something about it though. I don't really know.

Black

Thanks for the help ill talk with some people round here and see what will happen im still 50/50 if I will take them out or not. I think it will look a hell of alot better and work better too. but the dealers and the fact that if something goes wrong I have more of a problem to fix IDK. but thanks again for the help and if anyone what to add it would be greatly apprechiated.

Thread Information