Thread: air bag light

Black
    1998 Trans Am

air bag light

So I just finished putting my k member, controls arms, and new rack in and everything is good. My drivers tire rubs the front inner fender well when turning(figure the alignment will move that around ive already got it better) but now my air bag light is on. I dont remember ever unplugging that sensor, i dont even know where it is. But the steering wheel was spun a few times in the same direction, do you think that may have broke a wire? I cant believe they would have a wire that connects to the steering wheel cuz all the back and forth motion would eventually break the wire, could be wrong. Whats you guys opinions? And where are the sensors located, maybe i did unplug them and forgot.

I leave our airbags unplugged. The plugs are under the dash just about in line with the steering column on the driver side, and behind the glove box on the passenger side. Big large Yellow wire with a warning tag on it,,,,,can't miss it.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

will it kill the light?

Nope the light stays on, I just don't care about it so I haven't looked into turning the light off. I don't even know if I can do it in HPtuner or not. Eventually I had planned to remove the air bag stuff completely, just never got around to it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    So I just finished putting my k member, controls arms, and new rack in and everything is good. My drivers tire rubs the front inner fender well when turning(figure the alignment will move that around ive already got it better) but now my air bag light is on. I dont remember ever unplugging that sensor, i dont even know where it is. But the steering wheel was spun a few times in the same direction, do you think that may have broke a wire? I cant believe they would have a wire that connects to the steering wheel cuz all the back and forth motion would eventually break the wire, could be wrong. Whats you guys opinions? And where are the sensors located, maybe i did unplug them and forgot.
    There's your answer. Sounds like you broke the clockspring/wiring in the top of the steering column. I've seen people do this in the shop.......

Black
    1998 Trans Am

ughhh thats kinda what i figured. so i guess i have to pull the steering wheel and get a new clockspring?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yes. You have to get a new clock spring. I can't remember if there is a reset procedure to avoid tripping the bag.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

tripping the bag as in setting it off...?

Yes, there is always the possibility of setting the bag off. I always disconnect the battery before I mess with them.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

the discharge time of the capacitor in the airbag system varies between manufactures. I have to deal with this in car accidents. I will suggest to remove the battery cable and let your car sit for at least 1 hour before messing with it. find the plugs that firebirdjones mention and disconnect them before you attempt to remove the SW.

Now that we are in the airbag subject does anyone knows if they sell a cover for the passenger side airbag? mine is getting old and crack. I believe they sell one but you have to remove the airbag as it is made out of plastic and the airbag wont deploy.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I can't remember if the airbag cover is made into the actual airbag or into the dash panel.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ive heard these are easy to change. true?

Thread Information