Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I think I might have a serious PROBLEM! PLEASE HELP ME!

This is a discussion on AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I think I might have a serious PROBLEM! PLEASE HELP ME! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The engine oil is fine....

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

The engine oil is fine.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

allright, cool that is definately good news in your favor.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

ok I just went outside and pulled the car out of the garage and looked at the radiator. I think it might actually be the p/s cooler lines that are giving me trouble. They actually go into the radiator hose.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

I'm with the rest of the guys...Check the radiator, the t-stat and the lines....Unless its something to do with horsepower then i dont know much about it but everyone on here knows there stuff so have faith man!!!

green
    98 formula

check the tranny fluid too

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

It's an m6 so there are no tranny lines hooked up to the radiator.

I think it is the cooler that broke. The cooler is in the radiator hose and isn't even part of the readiator like I thought. So can I replace the p/s cooler with just a regular radiator hose and use an external transmission cooler to cool the power steering instead of the factory cooler which runs inside the radiator hose?

Get what I'm saying?

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Ok, here are some pictures, I hope they help.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
    It's an m6 so there are no tranny lines hooked up to the radiator.

I think it is the cooler that broke. The cooler is in the radiator hose and isn't even part of the readiator like I thought. So can I replace the p/s cooler with just a regular radiator hose and use an external transmission cooler to cool the power steering instead of the factory cooler which runs inside the radiator hose?

Get what I'm saying?
    thats good you have the m-6 the trans cooler will work but I believe the constant temp from the coolant is better and it would be a direct fit to put the correct cooler in

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Has anyone else done this?

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Ok, I'm all done fixing it. The problem was the cooler and the radiator was fine. So I just hooked the p/s cooler lines up to a trans cooler and put it on the front of the radiator. It fit really good and it lookes like it came from the factory that way. I flushed out both coolant systems, so everything is ready to go.

But now my steering feels a little uneven and it makes a really high pitch whining sound when I make sharp corners. Hopefully this will clear up, being that I haven't taken it anywhere but up and down our driveway (15ft).

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

your "cooler" that you substituted cannot provide enough flow, therefore you are starving your pump. put it back to stock. no need to half-@$$ your car. if GM wanted the power steering lines air cooled, they would have done that in the first place. No offense, just seems like you went the hard way instead of buying the proper part for your car. On top of that, the substitute cooler might bust from all the extra pressure. Im not sure what pressure they can handle, but im pretty sure power steering lines are higher pressure than external transmission line coolers.

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

and here is some basic principles. when you are turning your wheel sharp, that means you are going slow (unless you are hooking your wheel at 90, which isnt very smart) and the power steering has to work harder. there is more steering friction the slower you go.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    your "cooler" that you substituted cannot provide enough flow, therefore you are starving your pump. put it back to stock. no need to half-@$$ your car. if GM wanted the power steering lines air cooled, they would have done that in the first place. No offense, just seems like you went the hard way instead of buying the proper part for your car. On top of that, the substitute cooler might bust from all the extra pressure. Im not sure what pressure they can handle, but im pretty sure power steering lines are higher pressure than external transmission line coolers.
    good points

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

I am pretty sure it provides the same flow as the original cooler.
    And I think that my fix is better than stock. i wouldn't have done it if I didn't think it would be better or just as good.

But i guess we will see how it turns out, it works great so far.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanater View Post
    I am pretty sure it provides the same flow as the original cooler.
    And I think that my fix is better than stock. i wouldn't have done it if I didn't think it would be better or just as good.

But i guess we will see how it turns out, it works great so far.
    it may be fine good luck and let us know how it works

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

There is no danger in the p/s fluid being too cool as someone stated earlier. My truck has a p/s steering cooler that is basically a tranny cooler, from the factory. You did the better fix. Now you don't have to worry about fluids mixing anymore. The noise may just be air in the p/s system and will eventually work it's way out if that is the case. Just keep checking the level everytime you drive because if it is air, as it works out the level will go down and the resevior isn't very big. It is possible that the coolant that mixed in the p/s fluid has damaged the p/s pump, rack, or both. If the noise doesn't clear up after a few drives then you may need to look into that.

mpunklil is right on the turning at slow speeds. Not only is it hard on the pump to turn the wheel when you're not moving, but it scrubs away expensive rubber on you tires as well. I try to always be at least creeping as I'm turning stop to stop (but pleasae God don't be one of the people who holds the steering wheel against the stop ), for example when parking, etc.

Good luck and don't worry about your tranny-p/s cooler, many people have done the same thing with no problems.

Oh yeah. What kind of cooler did you get? The tube and fin design are known for less flow than a stacked plate design, but either way I sincerely doubt the tube and fin would restrict flow any more than the crappy one GM pt on there to begin with.

1998 WS6, 1969 Camaro

Yeah the noise cleared up about 30 seconds after I hit the open road. everything is good to go. Scared me at first, I about had a heart attack when I saw my fluids. thanks guys.

now if anything ever breaks again it will just start leaking on the ground and I will notice it right away. No more of this mixing fluids crap!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information