Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

torque arm relocating cross member issues

Is anyone using a stock style aftermarket torque arm?
    I just installed my torque arm relocation bracket and aftermarket stock style torque arm. It does the job but Im having some mild vibration and some "clunk" noise from the back area and front.

The setup i had runs pretty close to the floor wall in the car. The arm where the bushing install in the relocation bracket is making contact with the floor if the car too. The clunk noise happens on the back when you hit the gas hard and when is shifting to 2nd gear(A4). The front noise happens when accelerate hard also and some times when you decelerate hard. I thighten the bolts according to specs by the manufacture. I also get some mild vibration at 50-55MPH if you accelerate. I think that the noise of the rear end is transfering thru the relocation bracket and the floor metal since is making contact. I contact the manufacture and he double checked to make sure I got the right part.

I will try it for abit and see if I can maybe massage the metal areas that are making contact to make some room. Hopefully this will resolve the issue. If not then I will try to put the stock torque arm and try to see if get better. If not then I will try stock cross member with aftermarket torque arm.

If all fail I will sell this items and try the other setup with the tunnel brace. The only reason I didn't bought that one was because of not knowing if I will have clearance issue with LT headers in the future. I was told that the setup will work fine.
    Here is the link to install pics. Any input will be appreciated.

http://s811.photobucket.com/albums/z...0torque%20arm/
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-08-2010 at 07:14 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Anyone lol? I'm thinking on getting some ramps and set the car on those then mark the area that is hitting. Then prolly remove the driveshaft and mold it with a hammer.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Mine clunks and since I know what it is and what's causing it (and since it's not a problem) I just live with it.

FWIW, this is about the 02. The 98 is bone stock still...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just looked at a guys from the board here last week. What brand do you have and did you get a driveshaft loop with it? On his the driveshaft is hitting the loop when the suspension compresses.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I got both items from UMI. I don't have a DS loop. I have the torque arm relocation bracket(by the trany) and a stock style tubular TA with the square type poly bushing. The top part of the relocation bracket hits the floor panel. With the TA I was only able to the 1st set of holes (that keep the TA further from the rear end), it hits on the back of the floor panel. Is pretty close to the front too, Im sure that is hitting the floor panel also. There is some pics and these are with rear end not loaded. It looks awful close I can imagine when the rear end is loaded.

Last edited by JayTA98; 07-09-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok I took off the UMI relocation bracket from the tranny and reinstalled the stock TA trany bracket. All the vibration and clunking noise is gone. The relocation bracket puts the TA 3-4 inches from the stock location causing it to hit against the floor panel. At least i know what is causing the problem. I dont plan on leaving the UMI TA installed without a relocation crossmember. If anything I will sell it and get the brace adjustable setup. Is this the setup all people prefer and/or use? Did you have clearance issues with this one as well? Thanks
    Last edited by JayTA98; 07-10-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Thread Information