Which one?
    73;79;81;84;88;98

Advise on this car

I have found a 98 WS6 with 69,000 miles on it for sale. It started at 9800 bucks and i talked him down to 7800 bucks. Heres the deal. It is fast as hell, idrove it today. The bushing for the tranny mount is shot and it thumps when you jump on it and when shifting hard between 1st and 2nd (its an automatic) Doesn't affect it from sliding sideways up the road with little effort tho Motor seems strong and doesn't smoke. Scuffs all around. It has some signs of fluid leakage that has made the ladder bar down the driveshaft all gummed up, but the rest of the underside is spotless. It is clean inside except the dash has been repaired over the radio area very shoddily and it has a new crack right where the bump up for the dash gauges starts. Almost seems as if the corner of the airbag is warped up just a little. T-tops are extremely tight to latch ( i don't knwo if this is normal as i have only owned the older TA's) Does this sound too good to be true? Am i dumb not to jump on this? Carfax checks out clean, but it just seems like he is quick to unload it cheap. Anything i should look at for a ta of this age?

Thanks for the info in advance.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

T-tops are tight? To latch or to fit in the square they go into. Don't be cheap and take it to a ls-1 mechanic and have them do a full inspection so you know what it will cost to fix if, when, or already has been broken, that alone is your #1 priority before buying. IF it checks outs go ahead otherwise I would spend more than 10g's on a car I knew was taken care of properly, because your probably going to break something, we all have no matter how "gentle" we are on our cars.

Which one?
    73;79;81;84;88;98

Sorry, I was on my 21st hour of being awake when I wrote this last nite...
    The tops fit in the frames fine, but when you try and latch them they are so tight to latch that the handles feel like they are going to break off in your hands. My 79 tops slide like butter when I latch em in, but i have never even been up close to a newer TA here in Vermont before say nothing about playing around with its options...

Can anyone tell me some of the common issues that crop up when these birds hit the higher mileage/later years of their lives that I should be aware of? The guy replaced the driver window motor and the car comes with a new passenger one that he got when the other one started to run slow. He replaced the driver headlight motor just a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks
    F Small

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

+1 on taking it to a LS1 mechanic so he can check it out. The T tops im not sure what your saying on that but they should be a snug fit. High mileage is nothing to these babies if they are properly taken care of there are guys on her that are well over 100K and still running strong.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp have someone check it out first just to be safe, also tight fitting t tops are a good thing. Mine fit very very tight because they dont get removed too often. After you pull them off a bunch of times they will begin to loosen up.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

My super high mile t-tops fit horribly tight. Ive took them out tons of times and im sure after 150k they have been out a lot.

Same with my underside. I took some simple green when the car was on jackstands and got the rear/torque arm really good with the pressure washer.

As for the tranny mount you can get them really cheap. Prothane is the way to go.

Sounds like a hell of a deal to me. These things are easy to fix/work on.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I'll say it again spend the money on a car that has been taken care of, any car let alone these is an expensive bitch to work on. You know the old phrase a cheap tool is an expensive tool?- Rings verty true with these cars, move on and get yourself a cherry one-when you buy it you'll know what I mean.

Thread Information