Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on mods

Black
    2002 Pontiac Formula

Advice on mods

Hey guys. I've been reading this board for awhile and appreciate all the information I've been able to gather from what everyone has to say. I'm trying to come up with a plan for what mods I want to make to my car and was curious what you guys thought.

I have an 02 NHRA Formula, still stock (just SLP lid and K&N air filter). I'm planning to keep this as a purely street car, so I want to make it very drivable around town too. Probably looking for around 500-550 hp. It's a semi-daily driver right now, only gets out when the weather is nice.

I've talked to Bob at EPP about putting in a Procharger and I would like to do that, but the list of other things I would need/want to upgrade keeps growing.

Here's what I had in mind so far:

ATI Procharger (plus all other required parts and tune from EPP)
    Kooks LT Headers and Y Pipe
    Magnaflow exhaust
    BMR SFCs
    BMR Torque arm
    Moser 9" rear end
    PST driveshaft
    Vigilante torque converter
    Transmission Cooler

I know this is going to end up being an expensive upgrade project, but I want it to be reliable because I plan on keeping this car forever. I just worry about getting the procharger by itself and then end up breaking my 10 bolt. It's probably going to be this fall or next spring before I can save up enough for all this but I'm just trying to do some research to finalize my plan.

I'd like to heard some feedback. What do you guys think? What's the next weak link, my transmission? Is this too much for my stock motor to handle?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dougfloyd; 05-21-2009 at 10:38 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sounds like you got your work cutout for you. I'd say the next weakest link is gonna be that 10 bolt. There are guys here who have broken them running stock. May want to add a 9" to that long list of goodies.. Oh and welcome to the site.. Enjoy!
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Formula

Yep, I've got a 9" on the list. I'm scared of putting on a procharger with the 10 bolt. Thanks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you'll definitely want to upgrade that tranny. What about inside the motor? Oil pump, timing chain, rod bolts, pushrods, and things like that? Given any thought to heads?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wait....I see you have a clutch and torque convertor both listed. It's one or the other. Stick shift cars don't have torque convertors.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Formula

Oops, copy and paste error from my email. It's an automatic so I was looking at a torque converter.

That's why I was posting the question. Not sure if this is going to require new pushrods, heads, etc. I'm planning on using 7 or 8 pounds of boost with the D-1SC. Is it just a matter of time before I damage something else? Not taking this to the track so I'm not going to be driving it real hard all the time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

none of that stuff is really required. Just not a bad idea to do. The important stuff is fuel system and drivetrain.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I wonder why you have listed a torque converter, and clutch/flywheel, you going to swap out tranny's?
    That is alot of power for a stock bottom end, most of us 450rwhp is about as high as it gets(n/a).
    Some ported 317 heads would be good to inrease flow and lower compression and they are cheap usually can be had for $300 shipped with port work already done. Have you decided on a blower cam yet?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by dougfloyd View Post
    Oops, copy and paste error from my email. It's an automatic so I was looking at a torque converter.

That's why I was posting the question. Not sure if this is going to require new pushrods, heads, etc. I'm planning on using 7 or 8 pounds of boost with the D-1SC. Is it just a matter of time before I damage something else? Not taking this to the track so I'm not going to be driving it real hard all the time.
    The tranny on our cars suck you will need a rebuild soon with it being stock, they have given up the ghost on converter alone

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Hey guys. I've been reading this board for awhile and appreciate all the information I've been able to gather from what everyone has to say. I'm trying to come up with a plan for what mods I want to make to my car and was curious what you guys thought.

I have an 02 NHRA Formula, still stock (just SLP lid and K&N air filter). I'm planning to keep this as a purely street car, so I want to make it very drivable around town too. Probably looking for around 500-550 hp. It's a semi-daily driver right now, only gets out when the weather is nice.

I've talked to Bob at EPP about putting in a Procharger and I would like to do that, but the list of other things I would need/want to upgrade keeps growing.

Magnaflow exhaust
    BMR SFCs
    BMR Torque arm
    Moser 9" rear end
    PST driveshaft
    Transmission Cooler

I know this is going to end up being an expensive upgrade project, but I want it to be reliable because I plan on keeping this car forever. I just worry about getting the procharger by itself and then end up breaking my 10 bolt. It's probably going to be this fall or next spring before I can save up enough for all this but I'm just trying to do some research to finalize my plan.

I'd like to heard some feedback. What do you guys think? What's the next weak link, my transmission? Is this too much for my stock motor to handle?

Thanks in advance.
    I would recomend this

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=45&catid=28

http://www.performabuilt.com/GMCars022008.html

This would be very safe and over 500RWHP. This way if you leave your self growing room for later. you will also need a rear and suspension mods. The LS1 is a great motor, but trying to squeeze every last drop of power out of it kinda scares me

However, is a S/C LS1 is what you want, if you dont do forged internals, just make sure you dont go crazy with the boost. you goal is very atainable

Black
    2002 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The tranny on our cars suck you will need a rebuild soon with it being stock, they have given up the ghost on converter alone
    Yeah, that's what I figured. The list just keeps getting longer... and more expensive.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I would recomend this

This would be very safe and over 500RWHP. This way if you leave your self growing room for later. you will also need a rear and suspension mods. The LS1 is a great motor, but trying to squeeze every last drop of power out of it kinda scares me

However, is a S/C LS1 is what you want, if you dont do forged internals, just make sure you dont go crazy with the boost. you goal is very atainable
    Thank you for the input. I'll consider that approach as well. I've still got plenty of time to decide on what to do. I might end up backing off on the boost a little bit.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

This car has been sold, but it might give you some ideas

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107567

Enjoy

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Yeah, that's what I figured. The list just keeps getting longer... and more expensive.
    You can do low to mid 400's no problem with a blower and headers leaving the cam and heads alone, that would save alot of money for building the tranny and a stall, and leave money for the torque arm, tranny mount, motor mount, lower control arms, panhard rod and suspension. You could always say it has 500+hp just don't say it is at the crank and 400hp with stall and a hookup is a solid 11 sec car.
    Last edited by c5z28; 05-21-2009 at 12:37 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    I would recomend this

Your solution to everything is the 408step away from the 408 sir you have had enough.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Your solution to everything is the 408step away from the 408 sir you have had enough.
    Its just a great set-up. gobbs of power with out even pushing it. you just cant beat it.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Formula

You can do low to mid 400's no problem with a blower and headers leaving the cam and heads alone, that would save alot of money for building the tranny and a stall, and leave money for the torque arm, tranny mount, motor mount, lower control arms, panhard rod and suspension. You could always say it has 500+hp just don't say it is at the crank and 400hp with stall and a hookup is a solid 11 sec car.
    Thanks for all your feedback guys. I'm leaning towards this approach right now. Just going with a lower boost on the supercharger and ending up with less hp but less chance of doing some other damage. I'm sure this will still be more than enough power to have some fun driving around town.

I'm going to talk it over with Bob at EPP when I'm ready to do the install. I'm hoping to save enough by this fall.

Thanks again! This site is great.

SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

Hi doug,

Let me tell you i have a D-1 procharger kit on a 2002 Z28 with a stock 10 bolt that has been whiney for at least 40K miles, my car put down like 460hp
    on 8 psi i have no other motor mods / stock headers with a QTP cutout and flowmaster catback, my 10 bolt has held up thus far cause the tires dont bite, it's my way of buying time until i can upgrade the rear, i have a aftermarket trans with a 3000 stall also but none of that is needed right away, my car is incredibly quick and has perfect street manners

Black
    2002 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by devil6rr View Post
    Hi doug,

Let me tell you i have a D-1 procharger kit on a 2002 Z28 with a stock 10 bolt that has been whiney for at least 40K miles, my car put down like 460hp
    on 8 psi i have no other motor mods / stock headers with a QTP cutout and flowmaster catback, my 10 bolt has held up thus far cause the tires dont bite, it's my way of buying time until i can upgrade the rear, i have a aftermarket trans with a 3000 stall also but none of that is needed right away, my car is incredibly quick and has perfect street manners
    Thanks. That is very encouraging to hear. Just working on saving up the money for it now.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Magnaflow exhaust
    BMR SFCs
    BMR Torque arm
    Moser 9" rear end
    PST driveshaft
    Transmission Cooler

Thanks in advance.
    Sounds impressive! maybe you should start with some of the free mods though.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Thread Information