Thread: AC went out

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

AC went out

Can I get some tips on how to replace my AC?

For the longest time there was a whine in the engine bay when the AC was on. Finally, a few months ago, something gave in and now I don't hear my compressor (or something) working, and when my dial is on cold AC I get warm air.

I guess my questions would be, where should I get the parts to fix this? I just need a new AC compressor? Can I do it myself, or is this something I should leave to mechanics with the tools and patience?

I only have about 1 or 2 more months, if that, before it gets realllyyyyy warm here. So any help is appreciated!

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Sigh... I have a 98 and no mechanic in the galaxy has been able to find the leak in my AC. I've had it "fixed" 6 times already. Including going through the system myself with dye, a sniffer, nitrogen, soapy water spray bottle... etc, etc...

The actual problem could be a whole bunch of different things or could be one simple thing. Even if your AC holds pressure (such as mine does), it may have a slow leak which is undetectible (at least on the parts under the hood; leak could be in the dash, in my case).

It may not be leaking at all, either. You'll need to have it diagnosed before you can really have any idea what it would cost. Could be a couple hundred bucks for an evac and recharge, or over $1000 parts and labor for something like replacing a compressor. Good luck, bro. I've been through three AZ summers (here comes a 4th) with no AC.

Pray its something as easy as a Schroeder valve... LOL!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

oh man don't say that! I thought it would a simple fix, but if there's more too it i'll take it into a shop before the summer hits. I'm a lifeguard dude I get enough heat during the summer time, walking to my car at 150 degrees interior is just painful after a long shift lol.

your problem sounds awful. Have you taken it in to GM yet? May cost you more but they know these cars inside and out.

Hard to say but if it was making a noise before it died, I'd guess your compressor was on it's way out.

Same thing happened to my wifes 4th gen about 2 years ago. When that happens it passes trash through the system. Some is caught at the small filter, but I still found trash in the evap lines and condensor. Had to flush those out really well. Most places wont warranty a new compressor unless the condensor is replaced or you have receipts showing a complete system flush.
    Anyway, I installed the new compressor, flushed everything really well, and installed a new dryer (good to do any time the system is cracked open) and recharged. Been fine since. Even doing the repairs myself, it was still about $500 for the ACDelco parts. Paying a shop could easily get over $1,000, especially in Phoenix where they ding you for AC repairs.

Goodluck, hope it doesn't get too costly.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

yeah I thought it was the compressor. shoot then I probably have the same problem.. I'll just have to find a shop that will do all of that for a decent price. 500 for just the parts sounds painful.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I did the A/C on my car last year. My compressor failed. I have a good friend of mine that is a mechanic so he allowed me to use his equipment and offered advise if I wanted to do it myself. The compressor and dryer(shiny bottle) need to be new. The other parts might be reusable if they can be cleaned. Most people think you can just replace one part and voila it works. In reality it will work but it will kill the life of the new compressor. When a compressor is going bad it starts to let go small aluminum shavings and they get spread in the system. The orifice tube filter will catch majority of them but you still have the section prior to it. You also have leftover old oil. You have to clean everything out and flush it so the shavings and old oil don't get in the new compressor.

All parts for me were around $500-$550 bucks. That was for the compressor, dryer, condenser, Freon, o-ring kit and orifice tube(filter). One thing I learned is you need to check if your compressor comes pre-filed with oil. I didn't looked at the package and for a few days the system will not get cold enough. I had to take everything out and flush the excessive oil out. It work great after that.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

AC went out

You could check on RockAuto for the parts and pay a shop to evecuate the system/install the new parts.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    yeah I thought it was the compressor. shoot then I probably have the same problem.. I'll just have to find a shop that will do all of that for a decent price. 500 for just the parts sounds painful.
    I used ACDelco parts, (compressor/dryer) The orifice tube (filter) I grabbed at the local store, they are only about $1. You could probably buy generic stuff and save a few bucks.
    The rest of the system I flushed like Jay mentioned. It has to be clean or the new parts won't last. That's why I mentioned most places won't even warranty your new compressor unless you can show the system was flushed. I used alot of non chlorinated brake clean and compressed air and flushed each component seperately. It's the most time consuming process of the whole job. It must be clean or you'll be doing it all over again in 2-3 months.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    oh man don't say that! I thought it would a simple fix, but if there's more too it i'll take it into a shop before the summer hits. I'm a lifeguard dude I get enough heat during the summer time, walking to my car at 150 degrees interior is just painful after a long shift lol.

your problem sounds awful. Have you taken it in to GM yet? May cost you more but they know these cars inside and out.
    LOL!!! Three different Chevy dealers cannot find it. Sean at TGMS can't find it, I couldn't find it, my HVAC teacher couldn't find it... I trust a dealer about as far as I can throw one... Never had a good experience at a dealer (except for my Honda).
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of stuff I don't understand.. I just realized one of my friends had his AC go out in his LT1 z28 some time ago, and he got it fixed at some shop he said did a great job. I'll ask him about it and let you all know in case you were wondering how much I could get it done for here.

Buying the compressor sounds like an idea, but once we start talking about flushing, charging, filter and all that stuff then i'm just confused.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Just be ready for a big expense. You expecting a tax refund? Might be a good use for it... and I see FBJ finally got an avatar!

Thread Information