Thread: AC Recharging

Black
    1998 TransAm

AC Recharging

My AC does not blow cold anymore and I believe it is because it needs a recharge. I want to purchase those recharge cans they have at Advance and Autozone . Where do I put the coolant? I have no idea where the recharge valve is. How much do I need?? Are there any other inexpensive ways to test if I really need a recharge or if I may have a larger problem.

Its a 98 Ta and that is why I just think it needs a recharge.

Crinkle, Crinkle

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Look at the underside of your hood. If there is a dark line going across right in line with the compressor, like I have on all my older cars, then suspect the compressor. When the seal goes it blows the lube out and gets slung off the pulley. If it's clean, maybe just a recharge will do.

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

The fitting on the hose from the can will only fit on one valve on your a/c lines (there's 2). It should connect to the one on the suction side of your system (low pressure) which is the line coming into the compressor from the condenser. The instructions on the can are pretty simple.

Black
    1998 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by GOODZ/BADZ
    The fitting on the hose from the can will only fit on one valve on your a/c lines (there's 2). It should connect to the one on the suction side of your system (low pressure) which is the line coming into the compressor from the condenser. The instructions on the can are pretty simple.
    I was just thinking that this morning on my way to work. I knew that there were two valves and had read that one side is bigger that the other. Should have just ducked my head under there and looked. Thanks

How much will I need to add. I saw the pick of one of the bottles that comes with a gage, but it seems like it would not be all that accurate as the gage just has ranges of something like, low, good, high or something similar.

Black
    1998 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by NinerSevenTango
    Look at the underside of your hood. If there is a dark line going across right in line with the compressor, like I have on all my older cars, then suspect the compressor. When the seal goes it blows the lube out and gets slung off the pulley. If it's clean, maybe just a recharge will do.
    Thanks i'll give it a look.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

When recharging you want to completely vacuum the system out...if you don't have the machine then just bring it into a shop. R-134 is cheap so they should do it for under $100.

Thread Information