Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

AC recharge and oiling??

i just got a used compressor and i need to get it installed.
    i also bought an accumulator and orifice tube for the AC system as well.
    i'd like to know what the steps are and what i need to recharge the system.
    i know it needs freon but does the compressor need to be re-oiled?
    im not necessarily doing the install myself, but i would like to know what the process is just so that i know whats going on...
    thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if it were me, i would add oil. espescially if it was already off the car and sitting on a shelf. make sure the compressor can turn. grab it by the front where the pulley is and try to turn the middle section. you'll have to do that when you put oil in as well.

after installing all of the pieces with new o-rings, the system will need to be put in a vacuum, then add the appropriate amount of freon.
    Last edited by mrr23; 07-10-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    if it were me, i would add oil. espescially if it was already off hte car and sitting on a shelf. make sure the compressor can turn. grab it by the front where the pulley is and try to turn the middle section. you'll have to do that when you put oil in as well.

after installing all of the pieces with new o-rings, the system will need to be put in a vacuum, then add the appropriate amount of freon.
    thanks for the info
    the compressor turns from from 2 places
    the part where the belt goes on turns obviously, and it also turns from the top metal part
    thats how its supposed to be correct?
    and one more question, do u add oil directly to the compressor and how?
    thanks for your help

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yes, the middle is the clutch. when electricity is sent to it, the clutch will apply onto the pulley and then the shaft will turn. you pour oil where the lines connect and spin the compressor. it won't be too easy to turn by hand. you'll need about 8 ounces of PAG oil. i used the oil with the dye in it. that way, i can find a leak if it does.
    Last edited by mrr23; 07-10-2007 at 04:36 PM.

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

You're going to need a good vacuum pump and a set of gauges.

First thing, after it's all back together, is to pull the system down to as perfect a vacuum as you can for a while, this allows the old oil and any moisture to "boil off" leaving the system totally clean. After you've done that close the valves on the gauges, kill the pump and leave it sit for a while to make sure it holds the vacuum - if not you've got a leak somewhere.

That done, you can now charge the system with new Freon and oil. There's usually a sticker somewhere that tells how much Freon and how many ounces of oil to add, generally it works out to one can of oil and three cans of Freon. There are complete recharge kits (without the vacuum pump or gauges) sold on eBay or they can also be found locally.

If you don't have access to a vacuum pump or gauges it's often best to just have someone professionally charge it. There's a place up the stret that's only charging $25 + the cost of materials and you might be able to save some money if they let you supply your own Freon and oil from Wal Mart or wherever.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

yes, the middle is the clutch. when electricity is sent to it, the clutch will apply onto the pulley and then the shaft will turn. you pour oil where the lines connect and spin the compressor. it won't be too easy to turn by hand. you'll need about 8 ouncees of PAG oil. i used the oil with the dye in it. that way, i can find a leak if it does.
    so the part where the belt goes on is the clutch?
    and the top triangle metal part is the pulley?
    sorry for these stupid questions
    now when filling it with oil, there are 2 places where the lines connect:
    one has a filter and the other is just an open hole
    in which of these 2 do i put the oil in?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by adham View Post
    so the part where the belt goes on is the clutch?
    and the top triangle metal part is the pulley?
    sorry for these stupid questions
    other way around.

now when filling it with oil, there are 2 places where the lines connect:
    one has a filter and the other is just an open hole
    in which of these 2 do i put the oil in?
    both is what i do. just turn it slow, because one side will want to push outwards the air inside of it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

ok i got it
    i was confused because u said to hold the pulley and spin the middle part when oiling
    if im holding the pulley where the belt goes on, nothing spins but the top metal part

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ok i got it
    i was confused because u said to hold the pulley and spin the middle part when oiling
    if im holding the pulley where the belt goes on, nothing spins but the top metal part
    what i said was grab the front where the pulley is and turn the middle part. to clarify this, you'll have to hold the compressor housing and turn the triangle thingy.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

what i said was grab the front where the pulley is and turn the middle part. to clarify this, you'll have to hold the compressor housing and turn the triangle thingy.
    got it
    thanks for your help!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

no problem

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

ok, im in the process of removing and installing the new AC parts and im running into a few problems.
    i got new O-rings but they dont look like the ones that r on there now.
    the ones that r on their now are metal and have rubber in the center but the ones i have r just rubber circles....will they work fine?
    i lubricated them with oil before i put them in...
    another thing, i cant locate the orifice tube?
    where does this go?
    i thought it was the hose that was on the firewall and i removed it and coolant came out...lol that was NOT the one!
    and finally, since im getting the system vacumed, do i put oil in the compressor now or wait, kinda confused on that part.
    i tried putting oil in the compresser (PAG 150) and spun the triangle thing on top but the oil starting oozing out of it with only half the can used.
    sorry for the long post but im giving this a shot to save some money and if it doesnt work, ill take it to the shop
    thanks!
    Last edited by adham; 07-15-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crowe View Post
    You're going to need a good vacuum pump and a set of gauges.

First thing, after it's all back together, is to pull the system down to as perfect a vacuum as you can for a while, this allows the old oil and any moisture to "boil off" leaving the system totally clean. After you've done that close the valves on the gauges, kill the pump and leave it sit for a while to make sure it holds the vacuum - if not you've got a leak somewhere.

That done, you can now charge the system with new Freon and oil. There's usually a sticker somewhere that tells how much Freon and how many ounces of oil to add, generally it works out to one can of oil and three cans of Freon. There are complete recharge kits (without the vacuum pump or gauges) sold on eBay or they can also be found locally.

If you don't have access to a vacuum pump or gauges it's often best to just have someone professionally charge it. There's a place up the stret that's only charging $25 + the cost of materials and you might be able to save some money if they let you supply your own Freon and oil from Wal Mart or wherever.
    ok so that answers some of my questions.
    do i buy the oil that is in a can like the freon where i charge it up with the hose and all?
    or do i buy the can of oil where i have to dispense the oil into the compressor myself and spin the top?
    thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

help!!

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Yes, the oilc charge will come in a can that looks like Freon. Check a service manual (often free to browse at a public library) to verify the can of oil charge has the proper amount.

The can of oil charge is pressurized with a small amount of R134. You'll want to put the oil charge in first, easist way to do it is to hook it up with the engine off such that a fair amount of the oil will be in the system before you start it. Follow with the straight Freon.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crowe View Post
    Yes, the oilc charge will come in a can that looks like Freon. Check a service manual (often free to browse at a public library) to verify the can of oil charge has the proper amount.

The can of oil charge is pressurized with a small amount of R134. You'll want to put the oil charge in first, easist way to do it is to hook it up with the engine off such that a fair amount of the oil will be in the system before you start it. Follow with the straight Freon.
    i already attempted to put oil in the compressor but i couldnt get it to stay in.
    i used the PAG 150 oil that you literally pour in the compressor itself.
    so should i try to empty whatever i poured in it and go with the charge up can?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

ok, im in the process of removing and installing the new AC parts and im running into a few problems.
    i got new O-rings but they dont look like the ones that r on there now.
    the ones that r on their now are metal and have rubber in the center but the ones i have r just rubber circles....will they work fine?
    i lubricated them with oil before i put them in...
    another thing, i cant locate the orifice tube?
    where does this go?

i thought it was the hose that was on the firewall and i removed it and coolant came out...lol that was NOT the one!
    i tried putting oil in the compresser (PAG 150) and spun the triangle thing on top but the oil starting oozing out of it with only half the can used.
    sorry for the long post but im giving this a shot to save some money and if it doesnt work, ill take it to the shop
    thanks!
    can someone help answer my questions please?
    thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

ok figured everything out.
    i put the system together and i will be getting it vacuumed, charged and checked for leaks tomorrow

Thread Information