Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

AC only blows to the floor?!?!?

Anyone else have this? I try any setting (Max, combo, defrost, vent, etc...) and all the ac blows to the floor as if something is blocking it from coming to the vents. On defrost some AC kind of comes out of the dash (more than trying it through the vents) but not as much as it should even with the fan blasting. What could be causing this?
    1999 Camaro SS 6 Speed

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You could have a vacuum leak either under hood or under dash or both..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Have you had the car long? Could be an something blocking the vent. Could be a problem with the device that controls the air flow inside the ducting. (sorry, can't remember the name)

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chris5 View Post
    Anyone else have this? I try any setting (Max, combo, defrost, vent, etc...) and all the ac blows to the floor as if something is blocking it from coming to the vents. On defrost some AC kind of comes out of the dash (more than trying it through the vents) but not as much as it should even with the fan blasting. What could be causing this?
    Ya, the selector switch is activated by vacuum pressure, check for vacuum leaks in the hoses on the engine. I have never had this problem, though I hope it is an easy fix for you. Good luck, let us know how you fix it so we can be prepared.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Have you had the car long? Could be an something blocking the vent. Could be a problem with the device that controls the air flow inside the ducting. (sorry, can't remember the name)
    have had the car since 01, just started happening. i am kind of a moron when it comes to cars now, is it still safe to drive around with a possible vacuum leak?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

have had the car since 01, just started happening. i am kind of a moron when it comes to cars now, is it still safe to drive around with a possible vacuum leak?
    Yeah for now, but eventually it may lead to idleing and drivablity issues..

White
    1998 Trans Am

The vacuum hose is the little one one the back of the intake manifold. Might need a mirror to see it. Comes from the passenger side around the AC / heater box...

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

my question is....could this just be a mechanical thing? like the selector switch is messed up and just stuck on floor?

White
    1998 Trans Am

The switch is a vaccuum controller. Ussally when they go bad, you here the vaccuum hissing in the dash.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

Check that the small vacuum hose in the passenger rear engine compartment right by the A/C unit is still attached.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Had this happen on my buddies car. Open the hood and look by the pcm you will see a small check valve his was cracked and was causing the issue its like a 2 dollar part in the help section at otterzone.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Git er done, yet? What was the prob?

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    Git er done, yet? What was the prob?
    all the hoses are attatched fine. i have no time in between work and practices to take her in, maybe this weekend i will get a chance.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

okay so i took it to the shop today and they say it's the controller switch in the dash has gone bad and it will be $98 for labor and $298 for the part?!?!?! i take my car to this shop a lot and trust them but this sounds outrageous. they say that is what gm charges for the part. what do you think?
    Last edited by chris5; 10-02-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

okay so i took it to the shop today and they say it's the controller switch in the dash has gone bad and it will be $98 for labor and $298 for the part?!?!?! i take my car to this shop a lot and trust them but this sounds outrageous. they say that is what gm charges for the part. what do you think?

They are just trying to take your money. Have you checked the hoses mentioned and the check valve?

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

If by control switch they mean the dials, Go to rockauto dot com and look up the switch control there. Its less than half of what they want. Then all you do is pull yours out, disconnect the harness and plug it to the new one and re install it.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    If by control switch they mean the dials, Go to rockauto dot com and look up the switch control there. Its less than half of what they want. Then all you do is pull yours out, disconnect the harness and plug it to the new one and re install it.
    he exact term he used was "ac control head". so it is not the dials. anyone heard of this part?

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

he exact term he used was "ac control head". so it is not the dials. anyone heard of this part?
    Google it. Its the WHOLE unit, not just the dials. Which is for sale on the website for less than a $100.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

HVAC head unit. Mine went bad under warranty. It was about $300 for the part at that time. I didn't even consider that part. When it went bad I had no heat or air or blower.
    Not sure if thats the right diagnosis, but that part can be had for less. Spend a little time on google or go to a junk yard.

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    Google it. Its the WHOLE unit, not just the dials. Which is for sale on the website for less than a $100.
    which website did you find this on? i can't seem to find any when i search it.

Thread Information