Thread: AC leak

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

AC leak

Hey guys I just got a 98 formula. When I test drove it the ac was cold. A couple of days later it wasn't blowing cold. I couldn't find any leaks and the compressor was working so I charged it. Now it is leaking like mad. The ac line that runs over the sway bar was rubbing and wore a hole in the line. I have no way to fix it right now and drive 40 minutes each way to work every day. If I don't use the ac will I still risk seizing the compressor if I drive the car?

Red
    1999 Z-28 convertible

Thumbs up

Do not turn the A/C on. The feron and oil for the compressor circulate thru the system when turned on. The lack of oil will cause the compressor to seize.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

So as long as I dont run the ac it should be okay until I fix the line? What about heat and defroster? Should I unplug the compressor?

If you got it from a dealer/car lot bring it back and complain. Once enough referigerant leaks out the pressure switch should keep the compressor from coming on to protect it.

You could disconnect the compressor clutch connection, or even remove the belt to it if you want to be safe...

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Does the compressor run on a seperate belt? I will tell the dealer I got it from and they will probably help me out with it but the problem is it's 8pm. I leave for work tommorrow at 5:30am and I get home tommorrow around 7pm. I dont have any time to do anything with it until maybe Saturday afternoon.

Yeah, it's a separate belt. You have to remove the main belt to get to it though. If they're open Saturday and can get the car to them just don't use the AC or defrost for a day.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Actually I forgot my fiance is off tommorrow so I will use her Trailblazer for the day. When I get home I will either change the line or take off the belt until I can change the line. Do you guys think the line is a GM part or will Autozone carry it?

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Well I used the Trailbalzer today and called the dealer I got the car from. He was good enough to get me the line and I replaced it after work tonight in the dark with a drop light. It was a bit of a PITA but not too bad. Hopefully I wont have any more problems.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Well I used the Trailbalzer today and called the dealer I got the car from. He was good enough to get me the line and I replaced it after work tonight in the dark with a drop light. It was a bit of a PITA but not too bad. Hopefully I wont have any more problems.
    There's also a part in the A/C system known as a receiver/dryer or accumulator. One of it's functions is to remove moisture from the R-134A refrigerant so that it doesn't freeze up in the system. If your system has had a total Freon leakout or as been exposed to the atmosphere, the receiver/dryer should be replaced and the system evacuated with a vacuum pump to remove any trace moisture before you recharge it with Freon. If you don't, you may have problems down the road....
    Last edited by Fastcar; 02-02-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added stuff

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Well it seems to be working fine. I'm not swapping out the accumulator.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

How did you recharge it? And what he is talking about is true-it has to do with the efficiency of the unit. If any air or moisture is in there (and there will be if it was open to the atmosphere when you changed the line-which it was) will reduce the efficiency of the unit considerably. And the reciever dryer has a dessicant that will be overwhelmed by that-it needs to be replaced. Then a long vacuuming (30-45 minutes) will remove the moisture and dirt-then recharge it. A good shop will only charge you for the freon needed so what you've got in there won't be wasted- I second the take it in to a shop and have it leak checked and vacuumed and recharged.
    Where I'm at it's like 15* F right now. Don't see alot of A/C problems right now.

Thread Information