Ac compressor "kicks in" no cold air

This is a discussion on Ac compressor "kicks in" no cold air within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I can't figure this one out. My 98 Z28 was missing the high pressure line when i got it. I ...

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Ac compressor "kicks in" no cold air

I can't figure this one out. My 98 Z28 was missing the high pressure line when i got it. I located one, cleaned the orifice tube and installed it. I took it to my buddy's shop and we put it on the a/c machine pulled it down added 134a to the system. The clutch engages and seems to work fine no strange noises but the dryer never gets cold, the air blows warm and the gauge for the low side never moves. Like it isn't pulling the refrigerant in at all. Any ideas??????? Think the compressor is toast? I haven't had this car long so I am unsure of it's past. Also, I have 241 on the heads, and I was told they are (01-02) heads either vette or f-body. Anyway of telling if the block is newer too?

Black
    99 Formula

Its toast

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by kensz28 View Post
    I can't figure this one out. My 98 Z28 was missing the high pressure line when i got it. I located one, cleaned the orifice tube and installed it. I took it to my buddy's shop and we put it on the a/c machine pulled it down added 134a to the system. The clutch engages and seems to work fine no strange noises but the dryer never gets cold, the air blows warm and the gauge for the low side never moves. Like it isn't pulling the refrigerant in at all. Any ideas??????? Think the compressor is toast? I haven't had this car long so I am unsure of it's past. Also, I have 241 on the heads, and I was told they are (01-02) heads either vette or f-body. Anyway of telling if the block is newer too?
    it might be toast or you have a really bad leak some where. did they put some dye in it? if so check with ultraviolet (spelling??) it will show where it leaked out at.

black
    2002 WS6

unless the systems was well sealed, its gonna be full of dirt and other crap, You are gonna need a new compressor, drier and other fine parts to get it working again. Basicly you will need every thing but the condensor and evaporator.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by drhoades3862 View Post
    it might be toast or you have a really bad leak some where. did they put some dye in it? if so check with ultraviolet (spelling??) it will show where it leaked out at.
    No leaks. It held a vacuum fine. I have replaced my ac stuff on my roadmaster already so i know what i'm in for. Thanks.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Don't forget to check fan operation while the compressor is engaged also.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcuffs View Post
    Don't forget to check fan operation while the compressor is engaged also.
    FANS WORK JUST FINE. I THINK THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN OPEN TOO LONG AND CRAP GOT IN IT OR THE COMPRESSOR IS JUST DONE.

Thread Information