Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

AC Clutch/Compressor/Condesor???

I believe my AC Clutch is going out but I'm not sure. It makes a very loud ticking noise. The noise corresponds with the running engine, if I rev it the noise gets louder... If I turn off my AC the noise goes away. So I'm assuming my clutch is going. If I have a bad clutch will I also need to replace my compressor or condensor? The large thing located directly behind the AC clutch, Im not really sure which that is... Also is this going to be a snowball effect? Will I eventually be forced to replace the whole system? How difficult is it to replace these parts?

Awaiting Activation

Black
    2000 WS6

I have the same thing happening to me right now. I found oil on the compressor too and every time I run the ac I find a puddle of oil where i parked. I think Im going to have the replace just about everything.

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

im not finding any leaks on mine... just a horrible noise.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by CWW17 View Post
    I believe my AC Clutch is going out but I'm not sure. It makes a very loud ticking noise. The noise corresponds with the running engine, if I rev it the noise gets louder... If I turn off my AC the noise goes away. So I'm assuming my clutch is going. If I have a bad clutch will I also need to replace my compressor or condensor? The large thing located directly behind the AC clutch, Im not really sure which that is... Also is this going to be a snowball effect? Will I eventually be forced to replace the whole system? How difficult is it to replace these parts?
    The clutch is part of the compressor and engages when you turn on the a/c, so if the clutch is going the compressor is going.

Usually when you open up a system you want to replace the drier or accumulator (depending on the system) because they remove debris and mositure...a shop will recommend this anyway (more money for them). You have a drier not a accumulator, so if you want to replace the drier then go ahead...I usually do. Might as well have them replace the orifice tube too..it's a cheap part.

Anyway, you want to check or have a mechanic check the high and low side before worrying about this.

silver
    1999 trans am

i just got back from the repair shop - a/c shaft snapped -$700.00 fix. new compressor and drier etc. not too bad i guess considering the dealer wants $600.00 just for the compressor.

Thread Information