Thread: abs module

pewter
    99 trans am ws6

abs module

does anyone know where the abs module is located and is it hard to replace. i took my car to a mechanic and was wuoted a defective abs module. The abs, tcs and brake light are lit up on the dash. Anyone have any step by step instructions.

car is a 99 trans am with traction control

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not to say your mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about but I would first clean all the wheel sensors. Most of the time it's a sensor that is either cruded up or bad.

Do you have the codes it's throwing?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    not to say your mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about but I would first clean all the wheel sensors. Most of the time it's a sensor that is either cruded up or bad.

Do you have the codes it's throwing?
    Agreed.

Although....since the BRAKE light is lit, the mechanic sounds dead on. I have no TCS or ABS, but my BRAKE light isn't on. The other two are on all the time. I have learned to ignore them.

Where/who do you plan on letting make the repair(s)?? Most places will include the diagnosis fee into the repair....that way you don't really pay for it unless you have 2-3 different places check it.

pewter
    99 trans am ws6

i checked the two rear sensors and one of them was really dirty. i cleaned them up but it didnt help. i dont know how to take off the ones in the front.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've never had to mess with the sensors on mine. Usually they read the reluctor in the back of the rotor but I looked it up in the haynes manual and it says it's located inside the hub. Maybe someone else that's dealt with them on these cars can chime in and help you out. It very well could be the abs module, I just like to rule out the small stuff first. The abs module is above the kick panel on the drivers side.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I did a little reading and the causes are all over the place on this one. I've seen where the module was bad, sensors were bad, burned wires, and even burned out bulbs causing it. I don't suppose you have the code do you? That would maybe at least give you a direction to start looking. Those modules are expensive too, I would be hitting up some junk yards and hope you get lucky. Keep the thread updated, I'm curious as to how everything turns out for you.......good luck.

hugger orange

I don't know if helps but 2 weeks ago I put a front hub on my mothers 02 Alero (another import from Holden) and the abs senor is in the hub and gets replaced with the unit. just 2 wires and a plug coming out of the back of the hub.

Thread Information