Thread: ABS Inop

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

ABS Inop

ABS Inop light is coming on intermittently. I checked this out.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...light=abs+inop

My fluid level is fine. I took my front wheels off today, is the sensor the wire running to the back of the caliper? If so I cleaned those bad boys up. Before I did this I was talking to a guy at Autozone that said that it was in the vents of the rotor. That doesn't sound right at all to me.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Anyone?

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

He is dumb. The vents on the rotor are for cooling. The sensor is located on the back of the spindle, just follow the wire coming out of the body that goes towards the back of the rotor.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3 View Post
    He is dumb. The vents on the rotor are for cooling. The sensor is located on the back of the spindle, just follow the wire coming out of the body that goes towards the back of the rotor.
    That's what I thought man, thanks. I cleaned out the connection. How would you clean it if you had the same problem?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I did mine about two weeks ago actually when I took off my calipers and fixed the slide pins.. Just clean them with electrical cleaner and regrease with dielectric grease.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    That's what I thought man, thanks. I cleaned out the connection. How would you clean it if you had the same problem?
    No problem. I havent had this problem on my car since its low miles, but id probably do it just like JoshieDoom said.
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 04-30-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Worst come to worse a hub or sensor is out.. but hubs are only 90 bucks if you shop around.. dont know much about the location of the sensor in the rear end.. havent really messed with them too much but my INOP light came on for about 1 minute after I cleaned up my diff and put in new fluid but I was also running it in the air with the wheels up listening for wierd noises.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

On a 3 channel rear end, like my 12 bolt. The ABS sensor is on top of the axle housing. There is a reluctor ring/wheel that is mounted to the ring gear. My ABS INOP was coming on because slowly, overtime.... bolts were backing out of my ring gear and wiping out teeth on that reluctor ring. The sensor picks up peaks and valleys between the teeth of the reluctor wheel. Again this is on a 3 channel rear end. Also the front two WSS. Heard lots of problems with the drivers side. The sensor on the rear end is directly on top of it.

4 channel rear end. Will have 4 WSS and can be anyone of those.

Before changing any sesnors, make sure the brake light isnt burned out. Heard many cases of that light burning out and turning on the ABS INOP light.

The sensor on a 3 channel rear end for ABS is part number 1046115 and is 140.80.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    On a 3 channel rear end, like my 12 bolt. The ABS sensor is on top of the axle housing. There is a reluctor ring/wheel that is mounted to the ring gear. My ABS INOP was coming on because slowly, overtime.... bolts were backing out of my ring gear and wiping out teeth on that reluctor ring. The sensor picks up peaks and valleys between the teeth of the reluctor wheel. Again this is on a 3 channel rear end. Also the front two WSS. Heard lots of problems with the drivers side. The sensor on the rear end is directly on top of it.

4 channel rear end. Will have 4 WSS and can be anyone of those.

Before changing any sesnors, make sure the brake light isnt burned out. Heard many cases of that light burning out and turning on the ABS INOP light.

The sensor on a 3 channel rear end for ABS is part number 1046115 and is 140.80.
    I knew that was a sensor in the housing but I didnt know what it was for.. guess I got mine throw off after cleaning it.

Thats wierd about the brake lights.. must be a 99-02 thing.. all of mine have went out at some point or another and never throw that light.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I knew that was a sensor in the housing but I didnt know what it was for.. guess I got mine throw off after cleaning it.

Thats wierd about the brake lights.. must be a 99-02 thing.. all of mine have went out at some point or another and never throw that light.
    That sensor see teeth... ie... peaks and valleys and makes a binary code. Basically 0 or 1. On/off.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

mine comes on when i hit triple digits, and stays on till i kill it, i dunno

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3 View Post
    you're thinking of the cooling vents but there are reluctors built into some rotors for abs that he may have described as vents.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

This is true, my apologies sir.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Thanks everyone. Hi-Po I will look into this within the next couple of days and keep you updated, garage is full and it's rainy here.

Thread Information