Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ABS- failure!!!

This is a discussion on ABS- failure!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SuperSSguy Yeah well ok..I think you missed the point though! I personally have driven many many cars ...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Yeah well ok..I think you missed the point though! I personally have driven many many cars (including my first car @16) without ABS or power assist or disc-brakes! While you may have misunderstood my comment about ABS. I never meant to imply that i cannot drive a car without assist.I can drive just about anything and out drive a great deal of guys who ''think'' they can drive..I have quite a bit of real time driving experience and put my share of guys into the wall Its just that i have driven both and prefer ABS and since i have a modern car that was designed with ABS(and i paid for it when i bought it) I just want it to work. Its not me im worried about its joe-blow the idiot who cuts me off on the highway etc......But thanks for your advice about scanning first!!!
    I understand that completely, and our abs is currently intact and working on our 4th gens (never had to use it thankfully) I'm just not personally excited about buying a control module that may cost thousands, about half the cost of what the car is worth. That's why I'd delete it myself if that day comes.

A wheel sensor on the other hand is a relatively cheap fix. With a scanner it should give you a code and tell you exactly what it is before jumping to too many conclusions. Might be something simple..

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    It'd be pretty hard to do a brake job and screw up the sensors/wires. Yes, if a sensor stops working, all the ABS related (including TCS) lights will come on. Normal brakes unaffected.

I'm pretty sure FBJ has driven non-ABS cars, and cars with 4-wheel drum. I have a car with four wheel dumb (drum)! At least the top goes down. You can adjust a 4 wheel drum brake for no drag, and also they are a couple pounds lighter (than same era) disc brakes for the drag strip, but you only have one decent stop before they start getting hot and fading.
    Good ole drum brakes. They always get a bad rap. I personally like them, and with stationwagon wheel cylinders, shoes from Muscle Car Brakes that cut down on the fading problems, they actually do a decent job. Lots of advantages too.

They have more holding power over disc once sitting still
    They don't create brake dust
    Less drag = better quarter mile times and better gas mileage
    Less weight means lighter car and less weight to turn = more hp to the ground.

I have 2 cars with drums all around, I have no intention of changing them to disc. Don't get me wrong, I like disc too, and the cars with disc will remain that way as well.

Okay back on topic

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

It'd be pretty hard to do a brake job and screw up the sensors/wires. Yes, if a sensor stops working, all the ABS related (including TCS) lights will come on. Normal brakes unaffected.

I'm pretty sure FBJ has driven non-ABS cars, and cars with 4-wheel drum. I have a car with four wheel dumb (drum)! At least the top goes down. You can adjust a 4 wheel drum brake for no drag, and also they are a couple pounds lighter (than same era) disc brakes for the drag strip, but you only have one decent stop before they start getting hot and fading.
    Thanks again ..Yeah thats whats happening with my car,and your probably on the money with your diagnosis,I hope so! Ill let you all know what happens, Thanks!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I understand that completely, and our abs is currently intact and working on our 4th gens (never had to use it thankfully) I'm just not personally excited about buying a control module that may cost thousands, about half the cost of what the car is worth. That's why I'd delete it myself if that day comes.

A wheel sensor on the other hand is a relatively cheap fix. With a scanner it should give you a code and tell you exactly what it is before jumping to too many conclusions. Might be something simple..
    Thanks FBJ ..Ill do exactly that! For my sake i hope it is something relatively easy AND cheap! While i like to put money in for mods....I hate using it for fixing things!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Eh, people have become too dependent on things like this....Now we have cars that will park themselves. What's next? Does this not sound scary to you? Sure makes me wonder.....but you know me, an old fart that doesn't like change or technoligy for that matter.
    Thats true ..for some, I have 67,000 mi. and ive only used it once!..But that one time was well worth avoiding an accident which costs thousands of dollars in repairs and insurance premium hikes.I DO agree with you on some technological advances ie: park assist!! Now THATS scary!! So it`s one of those too each his own things i guess...Like for me i dislike TC, Automatic lights,Automatic seat belts,skip shift, Audio Visual accesories(those stupid t.v.`s in cars) back-up cameras etc. So i get where your coming from.Now their trying to make cars that drive themselves.....Can you imagine?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Just out of curiosity what are you driving? i take its a Firebird hence the name but what year?

While i like to put money in for mods....I hate using it for fixing things!
    that always happens at the most inoportune times doesn't it?

Just out of curiosity what are you driving? i take its a Firebird hence the name but what year?
    As far as 4th gens they are both SS camaros, the bird is a 70 ram air III formula. The firebird has a catchier user name

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Eh, people have become too dependent on things like this....Now we have cars that will park themselves. What's next? Does this not sound scary to you? Sure makes me wonder.....but you know me, an old fart that doesn't like change or technoligy for that matter.
    yeah it does. How about adaptive cruise control? What about the eye in the sky, that knows what the speed limit is,and shuts your car down at 5 over? Hey, it could happen! And no, I don't want a car that can park itself lol.

yeah it does. How about adaptive cruise control? What about the eye in the sky, that knows what the speed limit is,and shuts your car down at 5 over? Hey, it could happen! And no, I don't want a car that can park itself lol.
    You're scaring me

2001 Black SS #5228

So what was the cause of the ABS light? Did it end up being a front wheel speed sensor?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Havent gotten to it yet ...I guess ive been driving it like that for so long now i got used to it! BUT i will definately let y`all know when i get to it!! Thanks for asking though!
    Quote Originally Posted by va2001ss View Post
    So what was the cause of the ABS light? Did it end up being a front wheel speed sensor?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

It's probably a $12,000 part failure of some sort. I'll give you $100 for your car, and you won't have to worry about it anymore!

I'll go $150,,,,I mean someone has to take this car off his hands,,,,,it's obviously too dangerous to drive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information