Thread: ABS Delete.....

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

ABS Delete.....

I am thinking of deleting my ABS, but I want to keep the break booster. Are there any kits like that out there? Also what all has to be done to deleting it?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've been researching this because of my 8.8 rear project so I can answer some of your questions.

I must question;Why do you want to?

You can get a proportionate valves that can replace the ABS and be set manually. Wilwood has them for about $42 on Summit.

Wilwood Disc Brakes 260-8419 - Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valves - Overview - SummitRacing.com

You will need at lease 2 plus new break lines will need to be fabbed up to go from the break master cylinder to the valve and may also need to change the the lines from the valve to the breaks themselves.

Also you'll need to remove the ABS light from your gauge cluster because ABS is not removable with a tune.

Here is a link to a kit I've found that comes in a nice complete package for $149.

SJM Manufacturing, Inc. (724) 478-5580

If you get this let me know how it turns out. When my 8.8 is finish, I'll be losing the ABS capability. I had plan on just removing the ABS light but then I found this kit so I may go with it.

Black/ Silver

I won't be doing this for a while but I was thinking of doing it to save weight. I thought you could maintain a break booster. The lines that need to be fabricated are the hardlines, correct? My current lines from hard to caliper have slack so I don't need new brake lines, at least I don't think so. I have cts-v breaks, I wonder if there are any special needs with those.

Navy Blue Metallic

you can retain the break booster.

Weight savings is about 16 lbs.

Still researching about the need for hard lines. The kit I posted looks like you will only need to run new lines to the front breaks and can still use the rear line. For $30 more you can get a flair kit.

It really comes down to placement of the proportioning valves in order to use the stock lines.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Um guys.... brakes = that middle pedal I never use. Breaks = what I try to spend all day at work doing... Anyways, if you delete the ABS, I suppose you delete traction control as well? If you don't change anything on a 4 channel car but just eliminate the pump an lines, is there no way to keep traction control? If not, that's another light and switch that has to be deleted.

Navy Blue Metallic

Not sure how it effects TCS, my car doesn't have it so it's not an issue for me. Also once I go to my 8.8 I'll have no ABS sensor so deleting the ABS is not so much an issue for me. The kit I linked in post 2 is like ABS but without the computer and sensors tell how to break. Think of it as a manual ABS system. Pro-Track, NASCAR and most dirt track cars use this system because they can dial in how they want their breaks as the day goes on. Fresh breaks act differently then breaks that have been running 400 miles later on a NASCAR race.

The kit doesn't eliminate the break booster or master cylinder. The proportioning valves replace the huge black box that the ABS uses to balance out the pressure to each break. The proportioning valves do the same thing just manually.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Sorry guys...

can't help myself.

Please.......BRAKES

Americanisms i can forgive you, but
    it is simply mis-spelled

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Not sure how it effects TCS, my car doesn't have it so it's not an issue for me. Also once I go to my 8.8 I'll have no ABS sensor so deleting the ABS is not so much an issue for me. The kit I linked in post 2 is like ABS but without the computer and sensors tell how to break. Think of it as a manual ABS system. Pro-Track, NASCAR and most dirt track cars use this system because they can dial in how they want their breaks as the day goes on. Fresh breaks act differently then breaks that have been running 400 miles later on a NASCAR race.

The kit doesn't eliminate the break booster or master cylinder. The proportioning valves replace the huge black box that the ABS uses to balance out the pressure to each break. The proportioning valves do the same thing just manually.
    Cool. I don't have TCS either or at least I don't see the module anywhere for it.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyWS6 View Post
    Sorry guys...

can't help myself.

Please.......BRAKES

it is simply mis-spelled
    It's called fucking auto-correct. No need to get bent out of shape over it. "Americanisms" that sounds like a derogatory remark to me, there is no need for that. If you have nothing to contribute then don't say anything at all.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Whooaaa.....

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Cool. I don't have TCS either or at least I don't see the module anywhere for it.

It's called fucking auto-correct. No need to get bent out of shape over it. "Americanisms" that sounds like a derogatory remark to me, there is no need for that. If you have nothing to contribute then don't say anything at all.
    Crikey....

Check out the "funny smilies"! Just meant as a bit of a gag.

If you didn't realise i am in the UK and trust me "Americanisms" just means Humor instead
    of Humour for example. Not in any way meant as a derogatory comment

Navy Blue Metallic

Sorry guys...

can't help myself.

Please.......BRAKES

it is simply mis-spelled

Ok, no need to start a flame war here you two. Both are correct. I should have proofed read my post better and Will's correct to. Speedy, you could have made your point with out the smart ass comment.

Consider this a friendly warning. I may not be a mod but I sure do know 'em. Asking questions and getting some help and advice is what this site is about, not flaming someone.

Navy Blue Metallic

You can't miss it. the switch would be located on the left side of the cigarette lighter.

If it's a empty, no TCS.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

You can't miss it. the switch would be located on the left side of the cigarette lighter.

If it's a empty, no TCS.
    Okay then no TCS then.

If you didn't realise i am in the UK
    Ey up mate, whereabouts in the U.K. are you?

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Hi Mike,

Down South near Southampton, (Eastleigh)

Same question back!!

I'm in the middle (Derby)

Thread Information