Results 1 to 18 of 18

about to change my plastic gears for brass gears

This is a discussion on about to change my plastic gears for brass gears within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i will be changing my plastic gears for brass gears that rumbling noise is so embarassing. my question is, when ...

  1. #1
    Member edrvsqz1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Posts
    120

    Red
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS6

    about to change my plastic gears for brass gears

    i will be changing my plastic gears for brass gears that rumbling noise is so embarassing. my question is, when i glue back the gear housing cover what kind of epoxy can i use. i did some research and it doesn't say what time to get. I bought some general purpose epoxy, i just want to make sure if it will hold, at the store i saw different kind. thanks for the help

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    I bought some plastic epoxy made by loctite at walmart. its a little more expensive but theres NO WAY Ill ever get that housing back apart

  3. #3
    Member transAMchubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    203

    Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

    get the kit from rodney dickman. comes with everything you need. just did my pass side 2 days ago. when you do yours be sure you have 2 hours to let them sit and cure before you reinstall the headlight motor, and that you wont be needing to use your headlights for 24 hours as they need to cure 24 hours aswell before they operate.

    http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail_new.html
    comes with the epoxy you need.

    i actually put the shaft back in the motor case backwards, and had to crack it back open and re-epoxy it. for this i used general epoxy from harbour freight tools, (less thana dollar)

  4. #4
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post
    get the kit from rodney dickman. comes with everything you need. just did my pass side 2 days ago. when you do yours be sure you have 2 hours to let them sit and cure before you reinstall the headlight motor, and that you wont be needing to use your headlights for 24 hours as they need to cure 24 hours aswell before they operate.

    http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail_new.html
    comes with the epoxy you need.

    i actually put the shaft back in the motor case backwards, and had to crack it back open and re-epoxy it. for this i used general epoxy from harbour freight tools, (less thana dollar)

    Dickman is the best IMO

  5. #5
    War Machine BIG GUNS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Louis MO.
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,100

    Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

    Make sure you put the gear assembly in correctly before you glue it up. My buddy did his the other night and put it in backwards.

  6. #6
    Member 99'CajunFirehawk157's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    39466 USA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    902

    Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

    The cheapest 2 part epoxy kit I could buy...

  7. #7
    Member edrvsqz1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Posts
    120

    Red
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS6

    thanks guys for the advise im about to glue it now

  8. #8
    Member edrvsqz1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Posts
    120

    Red
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS6

    i finish changing out the gears wasnt as hard as i thought but had trouble at the end but got it done i went with the epoxy made by loctite. really good stuff, thanks everyone for the advise

  9. #9
    Member El Toro Loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harlingen, tx
    Posts
    757

    pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

    where do i buy these brass gears?

  10. #10
    Member edrvsqz1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Posts
    120

    Red
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS6

    I actually bought them from some guy off of ls1.com but i dont remember his name they usually cost around 80.00 for both

  11. #11
    Member edrvsqz1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Posts
    120

    Red
    2000 Pontiac TransAm WS6

    but heres a link i was given a while back http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/

  12. #12
    Member El Toro Loco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Harlingen, tx
    Posts
    757

    pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

    thanks man

  13. #13
    Old user ButchN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    67

    Black
    2013 Coupe

    Quote Originally Posted by edrvsqz1980 View Post
    I actually bought them from some guy off of ls1.com but i dont remember his name they usually cost around 80.00 for both
    That woudl have been Brent Franker, & he includes epoxy.
    I bought some brass gears about 4 yrs ago or so from him for my WS6.
    Here's his site: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm

    I just bought some decals from him a week ago as I'm redoing my 93 TA.
    He's got great prices with fast shipping as well.
    Here's the link to his decal page: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/vinyl/vinyl.htm

  14. #14
    Member 99'CajunFirehawk157's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    39466 USA
    Age
    56
    Posts
    902

    Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

    FWIW I bought the plastic gears that come on the card, you know that HELP stuff in the parts store, mine works fine, but my car is not a daily driver...

  15. #15
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    do you guys pop up your lights when your in motion or close them while in motion ???

    not to mention only 180 degrees are used on the gear so a spin and you are all set on the gear..oh well just thought i would warn ya guys..those brass gears..while nice..will add ALOT of stress on the motor due to the increase in weight

  16. #16
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    do you guys pop up your lights when your in motion or close them while in motion ???

    not to mention only 180 degrees are used on the gear so a spin and you are all set on the gear..oh well just thought i would warn ya guys..those brass gears..while nice..will add ALOT of stress on the motor due to the increase in weight
    Thats what I stressed in the high mileage thread a while back.

    NEVER open/close your headlights while moving. Good rule of thumb is if your hand can feel a lot of wind then dont actuate them. Example 15mph and under.

  17. #17
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Thats what I stressed in the high mileage thread a while back.

    NEVER open/close your headlights while moving. Good rule of thumb is if your hand can feel a lot of wind then dont actuate them. Example 15mph and under.
    i always pull over or wait for a light to do anything with my lights..

  18. #18
    Junior Member ared98ta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NEAR SEWER CITY IOWA
    Posts
    11

    red
    1998 Trans Am

    I wish I would have thought of that about about four years ago.I had to replace both of mine so I bought some used ones(money being tight and all),guess what ,they only lasted about one summer.Bought new ones next spring work great ever since.Just never thought to slow down for that,or that they made parts to fix them. Live and learn I guess.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. all needed to change to 3.73 gears
    By jimmybling31 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 02:20 PM
  2. Change gears, anything else to do at that time?
    By 666ws6 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 07:18 AM
  3. Brass headlight gears
    By GSXING in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 08:28 AM
  4. BFranker Brass headlight gears
    By Hurley711 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 01:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •