Black
    2002 SS camaro

9in rear question

getting ready to buy a rear an have something that id like answered be4 i drope all this money.....

#1. 3-4 channle abs, what do i need or do i need it at all. the car is an 02 6spd DOES NOT have t/c

#2. lockers, witch is a good 1, its going to see some track time but like to drive it around to.

#3. u joints, what kinda to get, an also drive lines, will stock hold up?

i no theres more so if there is anymore u guys want to throw in feel free

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I personally would not want to drive a locker on the street a majority of the time.

Black
    2002 SS camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I personally would not want to drive a locker on the street a majority of the time.
    its not my dd or anything, just take it to the beach every now an then an i dont drive it in the rain

It's up to you. I prefer clutch style posi units, much more friendly on the street, and the stouter ones work well at the track too.
    If you want a locker and don't mind the noise or wet weather driving it'll work well for ya.

You'll have to choose your axle spline, and again this will dictate the style of locker or clutch style unit you use. Honestly anything over 33 spline for even a decent track car is overkill, as they hold something like 1500 foot lbs. each. Going bigger just takes more HP to turn them.
    I find even the aftermarket 30-31 spline stuff is strong enough even for a 10 second 4,000 lbs. car. Up to you.

I'd go with 1350 series U-joints, At the same time I'd have a driveshaft made so you don't have to use a hokey adapter joint. That's just creating another weak link.
    The stock aluminum shaft won't take alot of abuse anyway.

If you don't have TCS then the 3 channel will do the job.

Black
    2002 SS camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's up to you. I prefer clutch style posi units, much more friendly on the street, and the stouter ones work well at the track too.
    If you want a locker and don't mind the noise or wet weather driving it'll work well for ya.

You'll have to choose your axle spline, and again this will dictate the style of locker or clutch style unit you use. Honestly anything over 33 spline for even a decent track car is overkill, as they hold something like 1500 foot lbs. each. Going bigger just takes more HP to turn them.
    I find even the aftermarket 30-31 spline stuff is strong enough even for a 10 second 4,000 lbs. car. Up to you.

I'd go with 1350 series U-joints, At the same time I'd have a driveshaft made so you don't have to use a hokey adapter joint. That's just creating another weak link.
    The stock aluminum shaft won't take alot of abuse anyway.

If you don't have TCS then the 3 channel will do the job.
    hey thanks man for all the info!! what drive line would u choise, i seen a couple 3.5 aluminum will they take the stress? i want to get in to the mid 11s an not have to worry about bring a trailer to the track with me.....

an the axles i was just going to go with the 31 with a eaton an 4.11 i want to let the clutch drope at 5k an hold on, i no the clutch will take it an the tranny i just rebuilt it with all new goodies from trick shift the 10 bolt is whats holding me back now..... last pass at the track at the end of the year was a 12.78@ 118mph...... 60ft 2.83 very sad i no lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the PST 3.5" AL driveshaft and that thing is a monster. I also have the 9" with a 4.11 and the trutrac.

Black
    2002 SS camaro

I have the PST 3.5" AL driveshaft and that thing is a monster. I also have the 9" with a 4.11 and the trutrac.
    how u like that set up?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02_slp_ss View Post
    how u like that set up?
    I have yet to put it to the test with slicks at the track, but with my Nitto DRs on the street it pulls very hard and I stick through all gears.

I had some problems with the Moser and the right-side rear axle seal leaking, but I eventually got that taken care of after replacing it 3 times!!!

No issues since. I installed it last summer and have put about 5K miles on it since the install.

It's relatively quiet for being an aftermarket rear.

I also got the 31 spline axles, kept my ABS, and got the relocation brackets for the LCA's welded onto the axle housing. The sway bar barely clears the larger center section so you may want to look into getting the sway bar brackets which relocates the sway bar to add more clearance if you plan on keeping the stock sway bar.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    2002 SS camaro

I have yet to put it to the test with slicks at the track, but with my Nitto DRs on the street it pulls very hard and I stick through all gears.

I had some problems with the Moser and the right-side rear axle seal leaking, but I eventually got that taken care of after replacing it 3 times!!!

No issues since. I installed it last summer and have put about 5K miles on it since the install.

It's relatively quiet for being an aftermarket rear.

I also got the 31 spline axles, kept my ABS, and got the relocation brackets for the LCA's welded onto the axle housing. The sway bar barely clears the larger center section so you may want to look into getting the sway bar brackets which relocates the sway bar to add more clearance if you plan on keeping the stock sway bar.
    i dont have the stock 1 on anymore i got the umi drag sway bar on it, i got there tunnel mount tq arm reloaction brackets, control arms.... all the goodies lol

Red
    2001 ws6

i gotta locker and would never go any different 300+ passes on mine so far and doesnt make a noise just gotta get used to driving it.

Black
    2002 SS camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Rk ws6 View Post
    i gotta locker and would never go any different 300+ passes on mine so far and doesnt make a noise just gotta get used to driving it.
    i seen u down there many times runing, your cars pretty mean man

Thread Information