Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

99 TA suddenly starts running crappy... bad gas??

So i've been breaking in my new clutch and my car has been driving perfectly for the first couple hundred miles on it. Last friday night it didn't start immediately when i turned the key and when I drove it the next day it took two turns to start and partial throttle acceleration was "choppy" and it felt like it was hesitating. It idles at 500 rpms and sometimes it dies if i don't keep the revs up. I bought gas at a citgo several towns over ($10 worth.. so about 4 gal) the day it didn't start immediately. The next day when it started driving really bad, I bought $20 of gas from a different citgo. I put in some dry gas and added about 5 gallons of sunoco gas and replaced the fuel filter since then. Its still acting the same.... what should I do???

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Any codes? 02 sensors?

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    Any codes? 02 sensors?
    I do have the SES light.. which is unfortunate because my tuner was supposed to delete all of my codes the other day. but anyways, i'm gonna get it scanned again soon. I've had bad o2's before and it didn't run this bad. its worse than when i had an old fuel filter, clogged fuel pump sock and kinked fuel lines. i'm not sure what else to do. some of my friends recommended syphoning out all the gas

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

i just got back from autozone. the car barely got there, i thought i was gonna have it towed. the codes its throwing are: PO171 and PO174. the description says: suspect fuel pressure or MAF sensor, O2 sensor defective, ignition misfire-repair or fuel injector problem.

I'm pretty sure my o2's are fine cuz i've seen them recently and there were no codes for them. I think the fuel pressure is ok because i recently put in a walbro 255 lph pump with a new sock and all high pressure fuel lines. I also put in new plugs this summer and the wires are still good. I also had my injectors pulled this summer and they are fine too. So i decided to clean the MAF cuz it was pretty dirty and it improved things slightly (as in i was able to get home) but its still running shitty when you give it gas. should i just replace the MAF?? is the MAF something that gets gradually worse or does it fail immediately?

red
    2002 trans am ws6

if cleaning the maf didnt work,you will prob have to replace it,po171 and po174 is related to maf,it also probaly caused your o2 codes.try to buy oem if poss. ,aftermarket rebuilts are junk.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

i just replaced the maf and it did nothing. the car still takes several turns of the key to start, idles at 500-600, dies sometimes and drives awful. what else can i do? i'm trying to test the fuel pressure at the rail again although it was fine earlier this summer.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Did you ever pull the gas out?

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

maybe it's the ethanol in your gas? Just an idea. I have a friend with an F-150 that runs horrible when he puts gas with ethanol in it. Luckily we have two gas stations near that still have conventional gas. I won't run anything else in my cars. Good luck!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

all the gas thats in there now should just be sonoco gas.. idk if it has ethanol, but i doubt bad gas will give you an SES light and make it run this bad after using gas from 3 different stations.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

does the ses lights come on in the 2000 ws6 when its completely low on gas if anyone has one and knows for sure, thanks.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    all the gas thats in there now should just be sonoco gas.. idk if it has ethanol, but i doubt bad gas will give you an SES light and make it run this bad after using gas from 3 different stations.
    Have you tried fuel system cleaner after all the repairs you made? Also, have you checked the throttlebody? That may be dirty as well. Mine had soot on the bottom edge causing the TB to hang open slightly. I cleaned out the TB with TB cleaner and car has run strong to this day.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by davidws62000 View Post
    does the ses lights come on in the 2000 ws6 when its completely low on gas if anyone has one and knows for sure, thanks.
    thanks for the thread hijack buddy . that shouldn't happen, u should only get the check gauges light for low gas.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Have you tried fuel system cleaner after all the repairs you made? Also, have you checked the throttlebody? That may be dirty as well. Mine had soot on the bottom edge causing the TB to hang open slightly. I cleaned out the TB with TB cleaner and car has run strong to this day.
    hmm, the tb didn't seem that dirty when i saw it, but its not hard to check. i haven't used fuel system cleaner since i've had this problem but i did put some injector cleaner in earlier this summer.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

not to be a dick but...you keep saying you replaced/checked all of these things earlier this summer but your problem wasnt earlier this summer its now so you should prob check these things again

Thread Information