Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

99 TA with a buttload of problems

So I've had my TA for about 2 years now with 69K on it and little things are starting to get messed up.

The gauges sweep and the trip resets nearly everytime I start the car.

My front and rear turn signals along with the signals next to the gauges flicker on the second flash.

My keyless entry hardly ever works even after replacing the battery.

My driver's side headlight motor stays on for several seconds after the headlight goes down... but I know I have to either rotate or replace the gear in it. The weird thing is, after the headlight motor started doing this, my headlights open and then close whenever I open or lock my car via keyless entry. Up until last week all the lights except the headlights would turn on for a second but now the headlights come up too.

Could some of these problems be related? I love this car but this little shit pisses me off. Do any of you guys know how I could fix this stuff?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Some of it could be related. The trip reset and gauge sweep happens on the '99 cars with low battery voltage - there's even a TSB on it. I'd start by checking the terminals and having the battery load tested.

mid blue
    99 m6 z28

the alternator is probably going, or the voltage regulator is disconnected (little red wire on back of alternator). check that stuff.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The headlights popping up is from the motor going out. I had the same thing happen and once I replaced the motor no issues after.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    The headlights popping up is from the motor going out. I had the same thing happen and once I replaced the motor no issues after.
    That sounds terrible to me, but why would both headlights go up? Could the stripped gear on the drivers side cause the motor to go out cuz it keeps trying to close? btw, how much for each motor? I heard the dealerships charge 300!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    Some of it could be related. The trip reset and gauge sweep happens on the '99 cars with low battery voltage - there's even a TSB on it. I'd start by checking the terminals and having the battery load tested.
    I'll do that. what's a TSB?

TSB is Technical Service Bulletin - the one on the trip reset for the gauge cluster is 99-08-49-009 on the '99 F-body cars. Good battery voltage will make it go away though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    That sounds terrible to me, but why would both headlights go up? Could the stripped gear on the drivers side cause the motor to go out cuz it keeps trying to close? btw, how much for each motor? I heard the dealerships charge 300!
    I read a really good explanation on why the lights pop up when a gear is stripped......unfortunately I don't remember a word of it.... but there is a really good explanation. You don't need a new motor yet. Just get the brass replacement gears from ben franker. $80 for both sides and has a very detailed explanation of the install. ben franker's site

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I read a really good explanation on why the lights pop up when a gear is stripped......unfortunately I don't remember a word of it.... but there is a really good explanation. You don't need a new motor yet. Just get the brass replacement gears from ben franker. $80 for both sides and has a very detailed explanation of the install. ben franker's site
    I'm not gonna get the gears yet unless I need to. Cuz i'm strapped for cash and i'm dying to get headers. I fucked around with the headlight and motor, so now it grinds only when it goes up, which is a lot less often. plus if you help it open with your hand it doesn't grind at all. I'm still gonna have to mess around with it more tho. At least the headlights don't open when i lock it anymore

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

you could get away with just replacing the gear in the side that is stripped and save 35-40 bucks. i bought the gears for both sides over a year ago, but only fixed the one that was stripped. Still waiting for the other side to break... Any grinding noise would drive me crazy.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

And sorry i haven't followed through on the wheels...but i'm having the same experience as you--always something that has to be fixed! this week I got to replace flywheel and starter = $800

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    And sorry i haven't followed through on the wheels...but i'm having the same experience as you--always something that has to be fixed! this week I got to replace flywheel and starter = $800
    True that man. These cars have a lot of power and a good tranny but there are sacrifices in the "quality department". The handling is OK for a stock car, but small things like this headlight BS and the interior are ridiculous.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Tell me about it. Anyone that buys a Trans Am better be mechanically inclined because otherwise its gonna spend most of its time in the shop. I really got ripped off on a T/A that I bought recently. Its my 7th Firebird and I will give credit to my previous T/A's that were stock. They had problems here and there but nothing like this car. It was modded out and I bought it and figured that yeah I will have to do some work to it. Well $7000 dollars later in repairs I am still waiting to get this fuc*ker running. I have not been able to drive it more than one week without a problem. I also did most of the work myself. There were some setbacks on my end as far as spending money in areas that prepped me to do the work. Ive spent alot of money on tools and specialty tools. I should just start doing this for a freaking business. Right from the engine block to the back of the car everything has been replaced or rebuit with the exception of the rear axle and differential. All of this crap failed.

New Driveshaft
    Rebuilt Tranny
    New Pressure Plate, Clutch, Flywheel, Slave and Master Cylinder

Then on the engine I had the Harmonic Balancer come out a little. That took me over a month to fix because the bolt snapped in the Crankshaft and I had to extract the bitch. Now I fixed that and the car has low oil pressure so im guessing im gonna have to rip everything right down to the cylinder heads and replace all the seals. What a freaking nightmare. The guy that previously owned the car was notorious for not installing things properly and not tightening things up. I could go on and on. I have already considered going to the dealer and throwing bricks through his window but I was able to hold myself back from that. Now im just looking at this as a challenge. Im in too deep to pull out now so I figure I will just keep spending every free dollar I earn on throwing it into the bottomless pit that is owning a T/A.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Oooh Forgot, Water Pump and Battery Also. Im sure there is alot more I am forgetting.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

whoa...easy turbo! You'll make it! I have had my share of problems, but like you I also made an unwise decision to purchase this particular t/a. Not modded like yours, but obviously poorly maintained. Got to do transmission, drive shaft, and wheel bearing. But once that was taken care of its all been things that break on any car, especially ones driven like this Water pumps, alternators, starters, tires, batteries, etc. go on anything you drive-and when i got frustrated i went and test drove other cars and found that i couldn't find one that fits me better than the one i've got! They are not bad cars, but are abused more often than others and must be taken care of.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

whoa...easy turbo! You'll make it! I have had my share of problems, but like you I also made an unwise decision to purchase this particular t/a. Not modded like yours, but obviously poorly maintained. Got to do transmission, drive shaft, and wheel bearing. But once that was taken care of its all been things that break on any car, especially ones driven like this Water pumps, alternators, starters, tires, batteries, etc. go on anything you drive-and when i got frustrated i went and test drove other cars and found that i couldn't find one that fits me better than the one i've got! They are not bad cars, but are abused more often than others and must be taken care of.
    I know what you mean. are u still interested in the wheels I have?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

interested?..yes. Able to do anything about it?..no. If you can sell them, sell them. When I've got money for wheels I'll hit ya up before I do anything else to see if you've sold them.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

interested?..yes. Able to do anything about it?..no. If you can sell them, sell them. When I've got money for wheels I'll hit ya up before I do anything else to see if you've sold them.
    I haven't really tried to sell them, but i might someday. The car's goin off the road in september, so we'll see what happens.

Thread Information